P-40N

P-40

Here is my very humble beginning of my P-40N converted from the Revell E, considering I have been trying to start this for almost two months now I was happy to finally get something done. Next will be cutting off the tail. It’s a pretty easy conversion, the rest of it will take the same amount of work as building the regular E which means a lot of work.

post-4-1100663606.jpg

Hey everyone,

It's posts like this that remind me of how far we have come as modellers. I have an old issue of Scale Modeler, in which the author of an article describes how he converted the E to an N, using the 1/32 Revell kit. It was very much a "Cut here and hack there" article, and he mentions that it was a good _weekend_ project. Now, it takes longer to just get the documentation in order!!!

Semper Styrene,

Lee :)

What drawings are you working from/with?

Every drawing I found was different in certain areas so I just used the ones from the In Action book, mostly because it was handy and easy to scan, I’m not one to go for extreme detail, but mostly want to get the look down. I took a drawing of the E and gave it a red tint and made it transparent and put it over the drawing of the N, the drawings don’t match up exactly but they are really close, good enough to show me the differences. I also have some factory drawings that I am using, I’m going to be slowly putting them up on my P-40 site.

Here is a link to an article that shows how to lengthen the tail, it’s near the bottom. I started converting another E to an F following this article but I really screwed the nose up.

http://www.gustafsen.nu/english/Warhawk-byg.htm

post-4-1100745195.jpg

I have an old issue of Scale Modeler, in which the author of an article describes how he converted the E to an N, using the 1/32 Revell kit.

Do you have a scanner and would it be possible for me to get a copy of that article please? Hopefully it will help me bypass some problem areas as I’m good at creating them :) :blink:

Hey Brad,

I have a Koku-Fan 1/32nd P-40N drawing. I can send you a copy if you are interested. Not the complete drawing but a full profile as well as the top view of the tailplanes. The guy who had my N conversion fuselage has yet to return from Iraq, so I have no idea when I will get that back. Let me know if you'd like the drawing. If the fuselage comes out good, maybe youd let me use it as a master. Think about it. I know the resin bothers you but maybe we could work something out.

Best,

Dan

Thanks, that drawing would be a big help! Do you have my new address? I had never thought of making a master, I am really slow though and that guy might be back from Iraq long before I finish! How does a master need to be done? I was probably going to rescribe mine but I don’t think I would put rivets on it. Resin does bother me so I rarely use it, when I do I do any cutting underwater seems to help.

Send me your new address and I can get a copy out by Friday, I used the Revell kit to make my master and the guy I sent it to was going to scribe it. It's in a box in his garage, finished but his wife is afraid to mail it until he gets home?!?! Go figure !

I hoped to find the photo's before I posted this message...what a bummer...I'll show when I can

I have the dubious honour of being one of the only people here to have seen a P-40 (i think even an N version although its 13 years past) crash...

Col Pay a well known warbird collector in Australia restored it to flying condition and one of the first public showings was at an airshow in my home town of Wee Waa in NW NSW (Out in the boonies (bush) for all those non aussies). At the end of the day joyrides started (yes the P-40 had a jump seat in the back) While waiting for my turn we had a mayday call from Col's son the pilot...look up and the propellor is windmilling...noway can he get to the runway...puts it down through a tree into a VERY small space between the river, a Levi bank and a ditch...and lost the oil coolers on the way...My neighbour and friend (now a pilot in RAAF) was in the back...they both came away with bumps and bruises...

Plane was a right off...But has flown again in the US somewhere since then...

And I was next in line to fly in the back! If we had my fat ass in there we would have been in the drink!

I have squillions of photos so as soon as I dig these out Ill post them