Messerschmitt Bf 110 1:32

Artful69

Be aware that although the Dragon Bf110 kit fits well, the instruction sheet is a complete disaster! It is so error ridden as to be mostly unsueable (wrong part # callouts, parts shown in the wrong location, parts missing from assembly, etc.)

Just FYI,

Marc B.

I'll second that, I think I spent more time looking at online builds, pictures and figuring out of parts placement then a did actually building the kit. They are, with out question, the absolute worst set of instructions I have ever seen from any kit manufacturer.

I'm more of an assembler than a builder, and I don't have much patience for kits that require a lot of TLC to put them right. I've got a stash of great kits (like the Revell He-111) that I'm champing at the bit to get to. I'm in this hobby for relaxation, not frustration.

Jerry

I hear you brother!!! and say A-freaking-MEN to that!! ... I am building 5 dioramas of 'hobby railway style' propotions ... LARGE ... The aircraft are realy just add ons ... seriously - tiny bit of adjustment at assembly I can understand but THAT much ... might as well scratch-build!! :(

my biggest issue with the Revell was the total lack of detail!

Love your work!!! :wub: ... but WAY too much detail for me ... at least internally ... good external paintwork and weathing will be more my thing I think :)

Edited by Artful69

Be aware that although the Dragon Bf110 kit fits well, the instruction sheet is a complete disaster! It is so error ridden as to be mostly unsueable (wrong part # callouts, parts shown in the wrong location, parts missing from assembly, etc.) I had to actually use the Dragon 1/48 Bf110 instruction sheet to interpret their 1/32 sheet.

Just FYI,

Marc B.

Marc ...

Thanks for the heads up!! :D

That's a good start, but I seem to recall there are more issues I found not covered by that errata list. I'll have to dig out my instructions tonight and see what else there may be from all my crib notes. If I find more, I'll post them up here.

Marc B.

That's a good start, but I seem to recall there are more issues I found not covered by that errata list. I'll have to dig out my instructions tonight and see what else there may be from all my crib notes. If I find more, I'll post them up here.

Marc B.

Hey Marc ... thanks HEAPS ... I've just printed up that other stuff by "Brad Green" the infallable reviewer (lol) ... if there is more I would love to know before I mess up!! :)

thanks Artful69, I was really digging it until I got to the gear bays...then the project turned into "work" and no fun. Got shelved and I loathed the idea of getting back into.

Luckily I have RB belts, Master Barrels for the MG's and LOADS of other goodies I will add to the Dragon Kit. I got the 'D/E' Night fighter kit that Im going to go whole hog on.

thanks Artful69, I was really digging it until I got to the gear bays...then the project turned into "work" and no fun. Got shelved and I loathed the idea of getting back into.

Luckily I have RB belts, Master Barrels for the MG's and LOADS of other goodies I will add to the Dragon Kit. I got the 'D/E' Night fighter kit that Im going to go whole hog on.

Ooooo ... yes I saw the night fighter variant advertised ... looks sweeeeeeeeet :) ... maybe we can do a comparro as we go?? - Just be warned though ... I had a quick look at those "Errata" instruction supplements last night (earlier replies to this post!!) ... You WILL need them ... I defecate you not! ;)

Edited by Artful69

Hey Marc ... thanks HEAPS ... I've just printed up that other stuff by "Brad Green" the infallable reviewer (lol) ... if there is more I would love to know before I mess up!! :)

Okay, so there are a "few" more items and clarifications. These notes are for the Dragon Bf110D-1/R1 "Dackelbauch". The variant may be different but the instructions are largely the same (and wrong!)

1) In the Hyperscale Errata article it notes that the D20 ammo racks are called out in wrong locations and one is shown on the first (Hyperscale article) picture on the starboard side. This is shown backwards; it should be attached to part D47 as in the instructions.

2) In the same Hyperscale article photo, there is a block just ahead of the installed ammo rack on the port side. This is an attachment point for another ammo can (part D55/58). There are a total of 7 ammo cans to install, not just 4 as indicated in the instructions.

3) Clarifications: In step 2, the end of the ammo racks of sub-assembly C mate up with part D35. Also the open slot at the bottom of sub-assembly C mates with the tab at the end of part E14 of sub-assembly E. Sub-assembly B "attachment arrow" is shown going to the wrong area, it should go in the open weapon bay area.

4) The forward windscreen, H9, can have an optional armoured glass plate installed. This would be part H20 and is fitted on the outside (standoffs against frame) if used.

5) Errata to errata: In the Hyperscale article "Step 5:" they reference part H16. This should actually be G16.

6) In step 6, part F32(31) does not go exactly as shown. Reference the completed assembly in step 7 for clarification.

7) Errata to errata. In the Hyperscale article "Step 8:", the first bullet refers to the radiators being glued inboard facing each other. This is just a perspective thing. It looks that way at first but the illustration is looking from the underside of the assembly and they are shown correct (details facing out). They are not pictured upside down, the illustration is again, looking from a lower underside perspective. The radiator locating correction of this errata bullet is accurate (glue into recess in wing).

8) Clarification of part N5... on part N18/N19 (in the illustration step 8), there is a small dot at the forward edge; this is one end of N5 location. The larger end of N5 locates on the wing... in step 8, on part C7/C6 illustration, locate the 3 dots at the front of the radiator recess; now just aft of that on the illustration there is another dot; this is the locating hole for the other end of N5. The larger dot/locating hole at the aft end of the wing radiator recess (C7/C6 illustration) is the other end of part N3.

9) If your instruction has you open 5 holes in the wing marked "T", DON'T! These are for wing tanks not used (or provided) in the kit. Wing fuel tanks shown installed in further illustrations should be ignored.

Well, that's all I got. This plus the Hyperscale article should get you pretty close.

Marc B.

Edited by modelmkr

lol, I have them bookmarked as well in my browser.

I wonder if they are pertinent to the D/E kit as well.

lol well I dunno as I only just discovered there ARE issues at all ?? :/ ... okies ... THIS GUY might know?? http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showuser=33366

I have the D-1/R1 kit, and they are applicable.

Marc B.

Edited by modelmkr

• 3 weeks later...

I also have a Revell 1/32 Me-110 in my stash. Sorry to hear that it's not the piece of cake I'd hoped for. Picked it up several years ago because the price was right and I assumed that it would be a quick and easy, connect-the-dots build on which I could then practice my painting skills. Still haven't gotten around to it, though. What problems, specifically, do I need to be ready for? On second thought, instead of an assembled model, maybe I'll just do a diorama depicting the crash site of Rudolph Hess's Me-110. I seem to remember that it was a C-4, and I have several pictures for reference. As the old saying goes, "When life hands you a lemon, make lemonade."

Jerry

Rudolf Hess's Bf 110 was not a C-4.