Lippish P-13 a

spacewolf

Vaughn

What a SPLENDIFEROUS scratch build.

WOW !!! Such a project requires skill and talent and MADNESS and you have ALL 3...{Just Teasing }You do have the talent and skills and you have to be MAD

to do such a project but I am thoroughly enjoying it as it progresses SO quickly..

WOW !!!Keep it coming Sir..GREAT work...

MARU 5137... :) Bowing...

Thank you for the enthusiastic response ! Glad you are enjoying !

Cheers

Vaughn

Hi Vaughn,

Truly inspiring scratch build, mate.

Thanks for sharing your techniques on how to melt plastic, that was great. :speak_cool:

You’re doing a great job on this build.

On questions, how thick are the styrene panels that you are using?

Christian

Thanks Christian, the sheet I'm using is 1/16th, by the time I'm done sanding and working it it's probably more like 3/32. Glad you are enjoying.

Cheers

Vaughn

Propping everything up I snagged a seat from a BF-109 and the pilot from a BF-110 and checked how it looked. Not bad me thinks !

DSCF9810.jpg

The front of the cockpit has been thinned and smoothed for the instrument panel

DSCF9808.jpg

And the engine area looks good. She's coming along nicely.

DSCF9806.jpg

Thats it for now, more in a couple of days.

Cheers

Vaughn

As you guys seem to like my 'how to's' I thought I'd show you this. Doing the nose cone and the leading edge of the wing is done much the same way so I'll show the cone. This is a great way to use up small bits of sheet. If you do scrach building there are always left over odd bits and pieces. Using a straight edge I cut angle strips. Average size at the widest point for this application would be about 1/16th or 2 mm.

DSCF9811.jpg

Cutting these is imperfect, you'll always have variations in the angle you hold the knife in the vertical plane even with the greatest effort to keep your edge at 90 degree's. Don't sweat it, this actually comes in handy. As you fit the wedge you'll find the angle on edge of the part will help it conform using one side or the other, just turn it over till you judge the best fit.

DSCF9813.jpg

Careful work will mean fewer gaps, smaller (thinner)wedges will conform better to the curve so there will be less sanding and filling.

DSCF9815.jpg

The wedges for the cone are cut longer than they need to be as they extend farther into the body of the model to form the base for where the strips for the leading edge will attach. I hope this how to helps in your projects.

Cheers

Vaughn

Hi Vaughn,

Good to see you plane will have a pilot, I personal always have people in my planes.

Thanks for share you planking technique, some real interest stuff there.

One questions, how will you make the canopy for the Lippish P-13A?

Look forward to more updates.

Regards,

Christian

Hi Vaughn,

Good to see you plane will have a pilot, I personal always have people in my planes.

Thanks for share you planking technique, some real interest stuff there.

One questions, how will you make the canopy for the Lippish P-13A?

Look forward to more updates.

Regards,

Christian

Hey Christian

I'm not sure if I'll keep the pilot, he was placed to see how the seat worked and to get an idea of how the build was going. I like to detail cockpits and a pilot blocks a lot of the view. Also, with a pilot I'd most likely want to close the canopy and have it in flying mode...not quite decided what I want to do yet. The canopy will most likely be vacuformed.

Cheers

Vaughn

Hi Vaughn Loving this – Thanks for the tips I must make a file with all the great tips and ideas you get around here!!! :clap2:

Also thanks for pointing out some wonderful planes and ideas that I never new existed. Some amazing shapes and concepts.

Keep up the good work can't wait for the next bit! :popcorn:

Taff

Hi Vaughn Loving this – Thanks for the tips I must make a file with all the great tips and ideas you get around here!!! :clap2:

Also thanks for pointing out some wonderful planes and ideas that I never new existed. Some amazing shapes and concepts.

Keep up the good work can't wait for the next bit! :popcorn:

Taff

Hey Taff, you're welcome and yes, one needs a file for all the tips and info !!! As for the planes ?..there are so many 'what if' idea's on the Luft 46 site it's mind boggling....and you can be pretty sure very few of them will ever be kitted in 'our' scale, so it's a field day for us scratch builders.

New update coming right up ;)

Cheers

Vaughn

One thing that has been bothering me was how to display the ship so while I was planking and filling the belly I was pondering the problem. The Mauve (revell) kit has the little trailer it was recovered with and moved around with in the kit. I could copy it but I wanted something more dramatic.

First thing I needed to do was make the landing skid. Unlike the ME-163 it isn't faired in as well, just sort of added on.

DSCF9818.jpg

I cut out the side parts and the center strip.

DSCF9819.jpg