Lippish P-13 a

spacewolf

After finishing up my Spacewolf I took a bit of time off but the scratch build itch won't let me rest. The madness will continue as I try to do up this neat concept fighter.

DSCF9632.jpg

Imagine, not only a COAL fueled fighter, but one that could perhaps be supersonic ?!!! While it was never built in fighter form, the concept test build was completed after capture and shipped to the US. Extensively tested it was the basis of most delta wing fighters in the US inventory for it's flight concepts were sound.

It should be a neat little build, I'm using the very nice Mauve 1/48 scale kit as reference as well as the book above.

DSCF9633.jpg

It's a small thing, about the size of a WW I DR 1 Triplane. Length will be 8 1/4 in., span 7.38 in. and height 4 in. I blew up some drawings....

DSCF9634.jpg

I have only side, top and bottom views to go by so I'm going to be winging it for rib and former shapes so this should be interesting...

DSCF9635.jpg

Cheers

Vaughn

Well, I really didn't think your next one would be a "normal" type aircraft.

So its a weird German thing and scratchbuilt too.

Nice to see normality has returned to the forums! :speak_cool:

Phil :lol: :mental:

You can check the Luft46.com web page. Dan has a front view of the Li. P.13a. There's also a 1/33 paper model by Orlik.

Thanks ! I frequent the Luft 46 web site a lot, a great sourse of inspiration.

Cheers

Vaughn

Well, I really didn't think your next one would be a "normal" type aircraft.

So its a weird German thing and scratchbuilt too.

Nice to see normality has returned to the forums! :speak_cool:

Phil :lol: :mental:

"normailty".... :blink: .....OMG...NORMAL ?... :help:

:D

Vaughn

So, on to my 'normal' build.... :rolleyes: ...First thing was to cut out the side profile of the fin. Using the top view I got the side shapes and cut those out. A triangle was cut to run from under the cockpit to the top of the fin and ribs were cut out for the cockpit frame. Shapes were made 1/16th undersize to allow for the skin.

DSCF9636.jpg

The parts were glued into place...

DSCF9637.jpg

Wide strips were used on the sides, they needed to be twisted a bit to allow for the curve of the lower rib. Narrow strips were used for the curved leading edge.

DSCF9641.jpg

With planking completed you are left with lots of cracks, seams and gaps. Perhaps slower, more careful cutting and fitting would reduce this but I like getting on with things and there is a stinky way to fix it.

DSCF9642.jpg

This trick is smelly ! Use ONLY in well ventilated area's, use a good exhaust fan and possibly a good respirator ! I use Tamyia super thin glue and a strip of styrene. Dip your strip into the glue and rub it over the surface. You have to repeatedly dip the strip as the glue evaporates quickly. As you go along the rough edges and high points 'melt' and the liquified plastic is pushed into the cracks. The strip also melts and adds it's plastic to the process.

DSCF9644.jpg

Go over it several times, trial and error is the only way to get the nack of doing this, but it's a neat way to fill and smooth.

DSCF9643.jpg

Edited by spacewolf

Nice work Vaughn - that's pretty much how I made my Beaufighter interior shells for the fuselage (very economical on material). Looks like you'll have the basic airframe built in no time at all (waiting for the glue to fully dry is the biggest pain - especially if you find out weeks later that you still have some 'soft spots' in the plastic!:BANGHEAD2: ).

...Can't wait to see more Vaughn :speak_cool:

Derek