Lippish P-13 a

spacewolf

very cool! The stand is just right. Do you have a pic of the factory logo for the stand?

Hey Mike

It is a cool little thing and yes, the stand works well. As for a logo ? As far as I know Dr. Lippish was more of a theoretical scientist. He came up with idea's and concepts and passed them off to others to make. Most of his designs went to the major aircraft producers so he didn't have his own logo as far as I know. The man was far ahead of his time, his concepts lead not only to the delta wing program in the US but also the British Harrier jump jet and to the Russian ground effect assault transport aircraft just to name a few. I'm not sure yet what I'll put on the stand....any idea's ?

Cheers

Vaughn

So, needing a break from the cloud of plastic dust and chips I thought you guys would appreciate an update. I was to the point I had to start the base of the vertical fin....I had no idea how to tackle it so I just jumped in and started cutting plastic. First thing was to cut airfoils to the shape of the base of the built part of the fin.

DSCF9833.jpg

This was glued in place.....

DSCF9834.jpg

And jigged with bits of scrap plastic.

DSCF9835.jpg

Due to the extreme curve at the front I planked it with narrow strips. Needing more material to allow for the angle of the fin I put on a second layer. Placing the fin and sighting along the lines helped me see how much to add.

DSCF9840.jpg

It is a slow process, sanding the angles but the careful work is worth it when things line up !

DSCF9845.jpg

Needing a break from sanding the base, (now I know why we are called 'scratch' builders....endlessly scratching away material to get the shape we want with sanding sticks !! :D )...I started on the control surfaces. First thing was to draw out the lines using part of the top view plan as a guide.

DSCF9854.jpg

Next the end sections were cut with a razor saw...that was the easy part. I had not thought of how I was going to cut through the skin AND through the center plate....I ended up cutting away part of the skin (thankfully I was able to salvage it) and cut through the plate with a new # 11 blade.

Once the part was off I was faced with these gaps in the flight control and wing. Easily fixed with tapered strips.

DSCF9846.jpg

The flight control was cleaned up, edged with 1/32 sheet and sanded down.

DSCF9847.jpg

With the rear of the wing filled and rounded the hing points were marked.

DSCF9848.jpg

The flight control was positioned and it looks pretty good. Now to do the other side...

DSCF9849.jpg

The rocket motor tube was faired in with a part made from scrap.

DSCF9850.jpg

So, thats were we are tonight. More in a few days.

Cheers

vaughn

With the rear of the wing filled and rounded the hing points were marked.

DSCF9848.jpg

The flight control was positioned and it looks pretty good. Now to do the other side...

DSCF9849.jpg

The rocket motor tube was faired in with a part made from scrap.

DSCF9850.jpg

So, thats were we are tonight. More in a few days.

Cheers

vaughn

Dear Vaughn,

You’re build is moving very quickly on the Lippish. Motive level must be high. Keep it up!

Good to some more of your build techniques; very nicely done on the control surfaces.

Look forward to more updates.

Christian.

Dear Vaughn,

You’re build is moving very quickly on the Lippish. Motive level must be high. Keep it up!

Good to some more of your build techniques; very nicely done on the control surfaces.

Look forward to more updates.

Christian.

Hey Christian, yes it is. I have several things that are in my favor, no wife/GF/ kids, live in an isolated community (not much to do here) and am self employed, so it's either read or model ! Also there is an impromptu contest from the CAMS model group which I'm part of that is up Jan 3 that I am hoping to have this ready for, so ya, the motivation is there.

Here is another thing I do that might be of use. I needed to taper the side strips and sanding it down would be a real chore.

DSCF9855.jpg

For long area's like this, here is a neat and fast way to do it. Grip your blade and place it on the area. Have the top of the blade tipped back towards you at a slight angle.

DSCF9856.jpg

Drag the blade across the area and thin strips of plastic will come off. This is easy to learn and works to thin down the area quickly.

DSCF9859.jpg

In a few minutes the rough work is done and can be finished with a sanding stick. The really nice thing about the shaved plastic is it is hair thin and is perfect for filling cracks and seams with glue as it 'melts' very easily.

DSCF9860.jpg

Working away at the flight controls. Openings were cut into the rear of the wing and strips of 1/16th glued in for hinges.

DSCF9863.jpg

Corrisponding openings were cut into the forward face of the moving surface.....

DSCF9864.jpg

Both sides done and ready for the controls.

DSCF9867.jpg