Tamiya P-51 add on

JRutman

OK Nicky,here we go.

I tried to keep the opening in the center of the spinner and the line dividing the front and back of the spinner straight-on,just like the drawing shown previously in this thread. What say ye?

001-128.jpg

OK Nicky,here we go.

I tried to keep the opening in the center of the spinner and the line dividing the front and back of the spinner straight-on,just like the drawing shown previously in this thread. What say ye?

001-128.jpg

JR,

IMO you've got it damn close; looking at the photos posted here! :thumbsup:

In fact just sign me up I'm sold. :goodjob:

Barry

JR,

IMO you've got it damn close; looking at the photos posted here! :thumbsup:

In fact just sign me up I'm sold. :goodjob:

Barry

Barry, that is the kit part? JR hasn't started his version yet. This is his issue. The kit part is almost a hybrid between the two spinners. It kind of looks like both.

Ron

Barry, that is the kit part? JR hasn't started his version yet. This is his issue. The kit part is almost a hybrid between the two spinners. It kind of looks like both.

Ron

You got it Ron,it's a hybrid. I have the aeroproducts version well under way today with the 8 new screws added,the forward portion of the openings re-shaped and the ground work laid to reshape the rear portion of the spinner. All that is left is a center piece to attach the prop blades to. Then it's off to Greymatter for quality casting!

Now,what to do about the uncuffed Ham Stan spinner openings?

J

Ron

I should have paid more attention to what I read than what I saw! :doh:

The kit part does look more like the Aero Prop Spinner. :oops:

Thanks for setting me straight.

Barry

Hi Barry

I had posted this info on the P-51 SIG, but for your viewing convenience, I'll re-post some of that here.

The spinner used for the Hamilton Standard props (either with or without cuffs) sported a "figure eight" or "hour glass" shaped cutout for the blade shanks. Here's an illustration (the below comes from Charlie Neely's P-51 newsletter from days of lore, the info of which was obtained from the factory drawings):

MME-04_Page_08.jpg

The Aero Products prop that was mounted on P-51K's had a plane of rotation almost 2 inches (1.8" per the factory drawings) forward of the Ham Std. units, necessitating a change in the style of shank cutout in the spinner. The Ham Std. units plane of rotation aligned with the "split" of the front and rear pieces of the spinner, the Aero Prop was forward of that split:

109_44002b.jpg

sec4_0186.jpg

The actual 1:1 article:

Aeroprop_Spinner.jpg

And here's an in-flight shot of a "K". Note how far forward the prop seems in comparison to "B", "C", and "D" models:

MkIVaProp.jpg

HTH

OK,here is the new spinner and one of the prop blades. Still has to be polished and a few tiny dings filled but you get the drift.

002-61.jpg

001-129.jpg