Soliciting opinions

I'll have to devulge my dioramic idea in order to get responses to this post. So first the idea. I've received an BF 109 E and just sent away for a Spitfire 1A, both 1/24 scale from Airfix. The one platform the diorama is to sit on is to be of two scenes. It's during the Battle of Britian and both scenes are to be depictions of maintenance on both aircraft. The German pilot is to be looking at his watch and the British pilot is to be looking at the skies. The title is to be something along the lines of "The race is on." I think that will tell the story in a nutshell.

My question is of the technical aspect of this diorama, and as the title of this post indicates, it has to do with the divider between the two scenes. Or, the representation of the channel/airspace that seperated the two sides. I thought of 2 mirrors back to back that would reflect the scene of each. But that would put a greater barrier between the two depictions than what I really want. Then I thought of a body of water the size of a creek betwix the two which might confuse someone who might not see the channel, as I intend for them to see, in the strip of blue.

Any thoughts for the divider?

How about a maintenance shed on each side, with a hedge behind it that separates the two? I know it doesn't signify anything like the channel or the white cliffs, but it would give each side a backdrop that ties into the other. I saw a vignette done of a statue of an Egyptian pharaoh. On one side it showed the statue being carved, with workers with chisels, and the statue looking fresh. On the backside it was the same statue but probably in the late 1800's or early 1900's, with a picnic scene of probably Victorian era European site seer's going on around it, the statue crumbled a bit and foliage growing around it. So that statue, like the maintenance shed, tied the two sides together but in different circumstances and time periods. Maybe the German shed would have some Third Reich propaganda posters and French wine, the British one some appropriate pin ups or posters, and of course, tea.

Sounds good, and maybe one of those sign posts next to each shed, the kind with the arrows on them, the German one reading London on it the British one reading Berlin and each pointing at the other.

If I may add some ideas to the bucket. It would require some creative painting but I think would create the image of imminent confrontation. I have drawn a picture for ease of explanation. :innocent:

scan0002.jpg

Jason

Very good ideas all, Junkie's idea would answer the question that I hadn't thought of as of yet, the background in the verticle. Although his depiction of the a/c are backwards. The Brit ought to be on the left side indicating an eastern orientation to the German in France. And as Wumm said, facing each other, maybe the lightening flash could be gray green, the color of the channel as I imagine it is. If I'm wrong then someone please educate me.

I like the drawing, I hope you don't mind if I use it.

Edited by 0311

Very good ideas all, Junkie's idea would answer the question that I hadn't thought of as of yet, the background in the verticle. Although his depiction of the a/c are backwards. The Brit ought to be on the left side indicating an eastern orientation to the German in France. And as Wumm said, facing each other, maybe the lightening flash could be gray green, the color of the channel as I imagine it is. If I'm wrong then someone please educate me.

I like the drawing, I hope you don't mind if I use it.

Not if the display is looking south.

Why not split the center with a shed that opens to either A/C? You might only have to show the doors/entrance to said shed, yet be able to distinctify each with different roofing, and paint.

Actually Typhoon I'm speaking according to the prespective of one looking at a chart. East is left, which gives me a thought. Combinding what Mike said with the idea of making east and west directional, having the 2 sheds' rear walls open to a laminated piece of a chart of the English channel might add to the technical aspect of the story without words. I wonder how much charts have changed over the years?

Actually Typhoon I'm speaking according to the prespective of one looking at a chart. East is left, which gives me a thought. Combinding what Mike said with the idea of making east and west directional, having the 2 sheds' rear walls open to a laminated piece of a chart of the English channel might add to the technical aspect of the story without words. I wonder how much charts have changed over the years?

I know, I was just being a wise ***

Word of the day " distinctify ". By LSP_MIKE :speak_cool:

Why not split the center with a shed that opens to either A/C? You might only have to show the doors/entrance to said shed, yet be able to 'distinctify' each with different roofing, and paint

I'm thinking again that at the "back" of each shop/hanger, have a poster or map of the oppossing countryIE: bomb routes, targeted areas, or just a propaganda poster. Likewise, just a view out a window would work as well. The shop could be cut wedgie style as well, which would serve to make the side closer to the viewers eye, and hence the picture/window/poster/map.

I'm thinking again that at the "back" of each shop/hanger, have a poster or map of the oppossing countryIE: bomb routes, targeted areas, or just a propaganda poster. Likewise, just a view out a window would work as well. The shop could be cut wedgie style as well, which would serve to make the side closer to the viewers eye, and hence the picture/window/poster/map.

... and the back of the base could have a hedge running as a backstop. A typical French hedge on the 109 side, a typical English hedge on the other.

Hey, that sounds familiar...

"How about a maintenance shed on each side, with a hedge behind it that separates the two?"

Me

First response :rolleyes:

I think its a great idea! :beer4:

Edited by eoyguy

I can't find 1/24 figures. I'm old enough to remember when the likes of Revell had 1/24 scale model a/c in abundance, available at the local K-mart.

And which pc program would you use for said posters? You can't expect me to paint them? :rofl:

Sorry Typhoon, but with a name like yours I took too serious a look at your post. :oops:

BTW, anyone here have IL2 COD?

Verinden does a Luftwaffe pilot in 1/24th. Legend Productions does a Luftwaffe pilot and ground crewman. Verlinden does a couple of race car drivers and mechanics that you could possibly convert. You can also look for 75mm figures, they are equivelant to 1/24. Places like The Red Lancerscarry a large number of figs, so may be able to help. But its not gonna be easy to populate the scene in that scale. 75mm is more of a historical (pre-20th century) and ancients scale as far as figs go.

Jason