help re: Rudder/ailerons/trim tabs positioning

richdlc

Hi - I have a dilemma, maybe the more aeronautically minded members can solve it.

If I depict a control column on a (parked) prop driven craft as pushed slightly forward and left, and the right foot pedal forward, what position will the rudder/ailerons/trim tabs etc be in?

cheers in advance

Interesting. Weren't the trim tabs individually adjustable regardless of control surface orientation, and not dependent upon same?

Yes, for the most part, but some planes have trim tabs that were used to lighten control loads as well. As an example: to make a the controls lighter as it is deflected in a given direction the tab would progressively go in the opposite direction to aid in pushing the trailing edge of the control surface in that desired direction.

Trim tabs are opposite to the control surface most commonly. Be aware that there may be servo tabs attached to the control surface also and these have actuator arms. The are definately counter to the control surface. If you understand how an aeleron or elevator works think of them as aelerons for the aeleron.

James

Makes perfect sense to me now that I think about it. The aileron for the aileron analogy makes great sense. Since they are so small in 1:32, I don't even bother. I think only the truly obsessive would consider it as something that matters.

thanks for the help guys, and the link...unfortunately it's double dutch to me lol

ps - my mistake, it's LEFT foot pedal forward, control stick forward and left...so I guess it's

Elevators slightly down

Rudder deflected to the left

right aileron down

left aileron up

??

thanks for the help guys, and the link...unfortunately it's double dutch to me lol

ps - my mistake, it's LEFT foot pedal forward, control stick forward and left...so I guess it's

Elevators slightly down

Rudder deflected to the left

right aileron down

left aileron up

??

Correct.

Trim tabs were normally set to zero, before the aircraft moved, with the Pilot's Notes telling the pilot what to set for take-off. Since elevators were not balanced as exactingly as the ailerons and rudder (it's why you so often see them drooped while on the ground) as the speed increased, so did the forces on the elevators, and the pilot would adjust the trim tabs to counteract them. During a steep dive, it was entirely possible that the pilot was unable to exert enough force to pull out, but operation of the tabs could give him enough assistance.

Edgar