ROYAL AIRCRAFT FACTORY S.E.5.a

fozzy

Hi chaps

Just to let you know whats happening with the S.E.5.a ........I have made a start on the Engine for this project by laminating some Balsa wood together so that I will eventually make the oil sump and engine block.At first I thought it might be too small to carve it out of Balsa block but I might just get away with it!! :unsure: .....

In the mean time I am also trying to finish a Spitfire Mk 1 for a guy in the UK ...I have to concentrate on that at the moment as I am visiting UK soon and I will take it back for him!

As soon as I have made some progress with the S.E.5.a I'll post!

Cheers lads

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys...long time no post!!

This is because I am really taking time with the Hispano Suiza Engine for this project!

Most of the time I am staring at photos of the real thing and trying to get the dimensions and scale down onto paper and in my head!! ...you see I havn't got any plans for this engine ..just pictures!:(

..........and here is a picture of a real Hispano engine...............

se5engine3.jpg

Now then I figured the best way to do this was build from the bottom up....starting with the Crankcase. I decided to make the Crankcase from a block of Balsa that I had laminated 2 pieces together in the last post....I drew the basic shape onto the balsa block....................

se5aplans1002-2.jpg

...and then I spent the afternoon that day sanding down untill I achieved the shape that I wanted. I added a bit of detail using Plastic card and wire insulation.................

se5aplans1005-1.jpg

se5aplans1007.jpg

se5aplans1008.jpg

Edited by fozzy

The next job was to make a couple of Engine Mount Bearers which you can see in this next photo.....the Engine will be fixed to that just like the real thing.................

se5aplans1003-1.jpg

So now it was time to cover the Crankcase with diluted PVA glue and Johnsons Klear to seal the wood in readiness for some paint.

..........and here it is painted.....................

se5aplans1024.jpg

se5aplans1025.jpg

I placed the Crankcase onto the engine Bearers for the time being to see what it looked like...here are a few shots..................

se5aplans1019.jpg

se5aplans1018.jpg

se5aplans1017.jpg

se5aplans1016.jpg

se5aplans1014.jpg

...and the last two shots are taken from a distance.............

se5aplans1022.jpg

se5aplans1021.jpg

So thats it for today....loads more to do ofcourse...maybe tomorrow I will continue with the engine.

thanks as all ways for looking in

Go Fozzy Go!!!

Nice start on the engine. Looks already pretty cool.

I have a question, Martin. I'm working on Curtiss OX-5 engine, and as you did, I painted the whole crankcase before gluing (CA) the cylinders to it. Working on intakes is a nightmare, my chubby fingers knock off the cylinders constantly. The bond obviously is not too great, and I'm blaming the layer of paint. What's your recipe for secure and strong bond between the cylinders and crankcase? :help:

Go Fozzy Go!!!

Nice start on the engine. Looks already pretty cool.

I have a question, Martin. I'm working on Curtiss OX-5 engine, and as you did, I painted the whole crankcase before gluing (CA) the cylinders to it. Working on intakes is a nightmare, my chubby fingers knock off the cylinders constantly. The bond obviously is not too great, and I'm blaming the layer of paint. What's your recipe for secure and strong bond between the cylinders and crankcase? :help:

Hi Tomek

Hows it going mate?...ok then...it all depends on what the material you are trying to bond together.For Balsa wood (which my Crankcase is made from)...I use CA if I am glueing plastic Cylinders to wood and I never have problems....watch out though because if you make a mistake and try and take off the part you have just glued you will take half the wood with it!!!...I guess it could be the paint I supose ..but I have never had that problem!!...you will just have to cut those chubby fingers off!!;) sorry I can't be more helpfull!:(

Edited by fozzy

you will just have to cut those chubby fingers off!!;)

Will try that, hahahaha.

Now it's too late for me to try a different approach (too much work invested already), but in the future I need to do it differently. Maybe it's because of primer... or something else... Anyway this time I just need to treat the engine as it's a hedgehog. Gently.

Thanks and back to your building report!

An amazing build thread, definetely museum quiality!!!

Why did you choose this plan? in web we can find really scale plans.

Cheers.

Al

Thanks very much for your input Al!!...as for the plans.......because it was free Al!!....and besides it was a simple plan and I have worked with this type of plan before.....cheers mate

Hi guys ...just a quick update to show where I am at with the Hispano Engine.

I have now made all 8 cylinders and have attached them to the Crankcase.The Cylinders were made from large straws which I might add were nearly impossible to glue anything to them :angry2: ...but I persevered and got the job done in the end!!

Here are the cut straws...

se5aplans1001-1.jpg

......and here is a photo of the cylinders during construction..................

se5aplans1002-3.jpg

I think after a shaky start I am now getting on top of this Engine build!! I think I have managed the tricky part of the crankcase and cylinders.... the rest will be a lot easier...I hope :unsure:

Any way ...as by way of showing you the amount of work I still have to do...here is a photo of the real Hispano............

se5engine3.jpg

...in comparison with my effort..........................

se5aplans1009.jpg

se5aplans1021-1.jpg

se5aplans1020.jpg

se5aplans1012.jpg

se5aplans1024-1.jpg

se5aplans1011.jpg

se5aplans1008-1.jpg

Loads and loads more to then!!! The crazy thing is that ofcourse most of the engine won't be seen when its on the engine bearers!!!...I am going to have to think a way of how to get the engine in and out of the aircraft!!!...but that would be stupid...wouldn't it?:wacko:

Have a good weekend and thanks for looking in................

Looking good! :popcorn:

I think I have managed the tricky part of the crankcase and cylinders.... the rest will be a lot easier...I hope :unsure:

With your experience you should be able to knock the rest down in no time. I keep fingers crossed!

Your engine looks amazing Martin! Great work. How did you cut the straw without crushing it?

Kev

Hi there Kev...thanks for your input.I flattened the straws with a metal ruler and cut with a modelling knife....don't forget they are plastic!!!...and they just spring back into shape!!

Edited by fozzy