ROYAL AIRCRAFT FACTORY S.E.5.a

fozzy

Glad you're back, Martin! Can't wait to see your progress.

Another engine revisit? Did I say, you're a hardcore modeler? You're really persistent!

I tend to give up on such issues quite quickly. Can't sleep at night, but can't fight my laziness either :P .

I'm waiting for the pictures then.

Edited by Tomek

Glad you're back, Martin! Can't wait to see your progress.

Another engine revisit? Did I say, you're a hardcore modeler? You're really persistent!

I tend to give up on such issues quite quickly. Can't sleep at night, but can't fight my laziness either :P .

I'm waiting for the pictures then.

Hi Tomek....I think I might be able to sort it out in a day or so....so you won't need to wait too long for the pics!!!;)

Hi guys

I was about to settle down to do some work on the S.E.5a when I thought I would put up a picture on a nail that was on the wall in my office...................above one of my display models!!:o ....well you know what is comming next?................

se5aplans1014-3.jpg

The nail of course decided to ping out and said picture dived straight for the Nieuport :rolleyes: .....typical!!....a crashed Nieuport Diorama springs to mind!!! ....next project sorted!!

Edited by fozzy

So its back to the S.E.5.a after a 3 week break.

My last post I mentioned that I had to re do the Carbureter as it was too small. Well I spent the good part of yesterday fixing this problem. I decided that all I had to do actually was to re scratch the lower part (the Carbureter) and extend the pipe work a little so that I could glue the whole thing closer to the rocker box cover!........I expect you havn't a clue what I'm on about...:blah: don't worry ...I don't know iether :mental: ...........to cut a long story short suffice to say that I have made it larger and I think it looks better now!

Here are some photos....I hope you see the difference between this and the last effort!!

se5aplans1005-4.jpg

se5aplans1003-3.jpg

se5aplans1012-4.jpg

se5aplans1007-3.jpg

se5aplans1004-4.jpg

Ok.............I really have to put this Hispano to bed now to keep my insanity!:wacko: ........its taken me longer to do than I thought (re doing the Magnetos and the Carbureter) but this my first attempt scratch building an engine in this scale and it was a steep learning curve....which is what I love about scratch building.....would I do it again?............yep

So whats next? I think I should get back to the fuselage and get it ready for skinning.First off I have to build the pilots head rest and the ridge thingy that sits on top of the rear fuselage....don't know what its called ...but its to do with the air flow I think!

I'll post again when I have made some progress on that..............its good to be back modelling again and thanks for looking in!

Fantastic work on the engine Martin, really impressive. Sorry to hear about your Nieuport, but at least you can be philosophical about it1

Kev

Hi there Kev....cheers mate....I'll try and fix her after this project comes to an end!:unsure:

I had to check some Hispano photos to see what exactly was wrong with the carburetor. Nothing alarming in my opinion, but I guess you have higher standards, Martin.

Anyway, now it looks the part. A big bow for your stubbornness :bow: .

Waiting for more :popcorn: .

I had to check some Hispano photos to see what exactly was wrong with the carburetor. Nothing alarming in my opinion, but I guess you have higher standards, Martin.

Anyway, now it looks the part. A big bow for your stubbornness :bow: .

Waiting for more :popcorn: .

Hi Tomek

The problem was that the pipe work (for want of a better word) at the top of the Carbureter wasn't level with the top of the rocker box ,the nuts you see on top of the pipes are supposed to protrude through the cowling...my first attempt didn't allow for this!

Does that make sense?:unsure: .........yep I'm stubborn!!

Hi Guys

Here is todays update........

This first photo shows you a block of balsa wood and templates ready for the head rest section......interesting isn't it?:rolleyes:

se5aplans1018-3.jpg

I took it outside in the freezing weather to sand down because the dust gets every where~!!:o ...this is what it ended up like.......

se5aplans1029-1.jpg

Now came the part I was dreading......the fixing of the Fuselage top I made out of plastic earlier on in this build! I had to cut the plastic here and there but other than that I was relieved that it fitted nicely into place....here are some photos......

se5aplans1019-2.jpg

se5aplans1021-3.jpg

se5aplans1020-2.jpg

My , my...what a beauty!.....Harv :speak_cool:

Thanks Harvey.........

Next up was to dry fit the head rest in place...I still have to make a cushion for the make believe pilot!!!............

se5aplans1030.jpg

se5aplans1031-1.jpg

I will be starting to skin the Fuselage in the next couple of days and so to prepare for that I brushed on diluted PVA glue to the balsa parts so as to seal the wood..............

se5aplans1033-1.jpg

....Finally I just couldn't resist giving the engine a dry run fit into the airframe to see if everything was squared away............

se5aplans1025-2.jpg

se5aplans1027-1.jpg

Thats it guys for today.

I will post again when the skinning of the fuselage is done....thanks once again for looking in :)

Hi Fozzy,

Been following your thread a while now.

Love the scratch building and the detailing of the engine, true craftsmanship there.

Fantastic work in building this model.

Look forward to more updates.

Christian

Hi Fozzy,

Been following your thread a while now.

Love the scratch building and the detailing of the engine, true craftsmanship there.

Fantastic work in building this model.

Look forward to more updates.

Christian

Thanks a lot Christian....yes this thread is turning into rather an epic I'm afraid!!!

Hi Fozzy,the fuse is looking good, and with the engine in place very nice. :goodjob:

Regards

Richard

Hi there Richard....cheers mate...it needs a bit of paint to bring it to life I think!...not far for that now :)

I've been following along and what strikes me is how 'real' it looks. One gets a real sense of how the aircraft went together. Great attention to detail and something to be proud of. I'd expect to see something like this in a museum. Very well done !

:popcorn:

Vaughn