Primer Help

Macnkira

Hi All,

I could use some advice regarding primer.

I've been using Vallejo Model Air gray primer but am dissatisfied for two reasons:

1) it sprays out very dark, sometimes actually masking problems/imperfections;

2) Vallejo seems to wreak havoc with my airbrush, constantly clogging it (unlike some competitors).

I am therefore asking if anyone can make any suggestions regarding brand and/or color of alternatives that can be used with an airbrush.

As a side note, I'm now using primarily Tamiya and Model Master acrylics without AB problems.

Thanks for your help.

Personally, I mostly use Mr Surfacer, which I know can be hard to get hold of in the US. Occasionally I'll use the stuff out of the bottle and thin it for airbrushing, but usually I just use one of their rattle cans (1000 or 1200 generally). I've also been using the Tamiya equivalent lately, which is almost as good, and in fact seems to work even better on metal.

Kev

I can recommend the Duplicolor rattle can primer,I use Tamiya and MM Acrylics also. The product was called Truck, Van & SUV primer but is seems they have replaced with what is labled Perfect Match Premium Automotive Paint Scratch Filler Primer. It too is sandable and gives a very smooth finish right out of the can and is a much lighter gray so flaws are more noticable. Only downside is the can is now 8 oz for 6 USD insted of 11 oz. Bought at Autozone.

I use Citadel Primers straight from the can. I prefer black (chaos black) but I also use white (skull white) as well depending on the desired finish.

I have found that these primers give really good coverage and spray evenly and very thin. I've had good success polishing these primers for using Alclad as well.

I've also experienced the same problems using Vellajo paints in my airbrush. I normally only use these paints now for detail brush work and weathering where needed.

Edited by joe

My preferred primer these days is Alclad Grey Primer & Microfiller. Ready to airbrush right from the bottle, but needs to be shaken thoroughly (!) before use. This stuff dries this fast that having finished one side i can pick up my kit on the side i airbrushed two minutes ago and finish the other side. Works fine for resin parts, too.

I definitively advise to wear a respirator mask when airbrushing for it´s solvent contents!

Thomas

• 1 month later...

I'll second the Mr. Surfacer, I also use the spray cans. Sprays very thinly and dries very fast, stinks though, I just step outside, spray, then come back in. Also, being a lacquer, it bonds to the plastic very well, and the acrylic paint sticks to it well, helping to prevent, your masking from pulling up the paint. I also have the Alclad gray primer, but haven't tried it yet, but will when the Mr. Surfacer runs out.