USMC F-4B

Barry

Thanks Ron, Johan, Mike, David and Richard,

I've been a little tied up with life with little time to model.

I have been pluging away at the pylons as time has premitted and have made some progress.

I started over on the inboard pylon; while tryin to scribe and add fastener detail I screwed it up! :BANGHEAD2:

I'm just about back to where I was when I last posted photos of it.

Barry

• 3 months later...

Yeah Barry, finish this kit. I know you got Life in the way, but what the heck man...do we need to.... :fight: :rofl:

No, seriously I hope you get around to building this again, but I do hope all is well with you and your family first. After all this is just hobby.

Thanks Harv, Mike and Patrick,

I've been "stuck" so to speak on the LE Flaps. I did not have any pictures showing the detail on the inboard end of the center LE Flap. :frantic:

I say did not because Danny Coreman; DACO Publishing has come to the rescue with photos from Craig Kaston of this area that will help move froward with finishing the LE Flaps.

:yahoo:

I still have a number of areas to complete but "for me" it's moving along as one of many projects I have in works.

I'm in the "full" scale aircraft building business and amazing as it my sound sometimes I get quite enough of aircraft building at work and simply have no desire to do the same at home. I've found that if I "force" myself to work on my hobby it usually produces less that the desired result!

Like you say Mike "this is just a hobby".

Barry

. . . I still have a number of areas to complete but "for me" it's moving along as one of many projects I have in works.

I'm in the "full" scale aircraft building business and amazing as it my sound sometimes I get quite enough of aircraft building at work and simply have no desire to do the same at home. I've found that if I "force" myself to work on my hobby it usually produces less that the desired result!

Like you say Mike "this is just a hobby".

Barry

Barry, I've just spent a significant amout of time reading about your F-4B project when I am supposed to be mowing the yard on a beautiful saturday morning. My time was better spent studying what you've put up. Your project is amazing and i've learned a lot even though I've read a lot about the phantom over the years and have built a few of my own.

It would be great to see this project brought to completion, but I fully understand the burnout and "other things" factors. The "other things" factor is what kept out of modelling for many years. With your skills, it would be worthwhile for you to get a lath and use metal in your builds. There is a series of books that explains how to build models from scratch with the use of metals alone. I'll post the title when I remember the name.

Regards,

Jim

Barry, With your skills, it would be worthwhile for you to get a lath and use metal in your builds. There is a series of books that explains how to build models from scratch with the use of metals alone. I'll post the title when I remember the name.

Regards,

Jim

Barry, I've just spent a significant amout of time reading about your F-4B project when I am supposed to be mowing the yard on a beautiful saturday morning. My time was better spent studying what you've put up. Your project is amazing and i've learned a lot even though I've read a lot about the phantom over the years and have built a few of my own.

It would be great to see this project brought to completion, but I fully understand the burnout and "other things" factors. The "other things" factor is what kept out of modelling for many years. With your skills, it would be worthwhile for you to get a lath and use metal in your builds. There is a series of books that explains how to build models from scratch with the use of metals alone. I'll post the title when I remember the name.

Regards,

Jim

Hi Jim, Thank for your kind words, I do love this hobby but even too much of a good thing is bad!

Funny you should mention the Lathe. I have been reading about several different models and have even been tracking some package deals. I too believe I would benefit greatly from both a lathe and a vertical mill. There has been any number of times that these machines would have made the task not only simpler but more precise and “safer too”.

When you find the title of the book please send it my way. I have some very basic and old lath skills from Metal Shop in High School (real old) and have even used my Dermel tool to turn small fitting out of white metal but I think it's time to step up and make the purchase.

I'm leaning toward Sherline a little on the pricey side but good quality, a long standing solid reputation for small Lathes and Milling Machines and they have a complete line of tools and provide support for their product. I’ve found a couple of package deals (basic accessories) for around $1,100.00 and though that is a lot of $$$ I believe it would be well worth the investment.

Barry

Life - my excuse for putting my Phantom on the shelf for now. Also have some other project/group builds that I need to knock out first. Hopefully I'll get back to mine soon. Like everybody else I look forward to you getting back to work on your Phantom.

Life - my excuse for putting my Phantom on the shelf for now. Also have some other project/group builds that I need to knock out first. Hopefully I'll get back to mine soon. Like everybody else I look forward to you getting back to work on your Phantom.

Hi Joe,

Thanks, are you sure it's not those 5 beach beauties that are distracting you? :m0152:

I think the one in the middle there is calling me! :rofl:

Barry

Actually here are the current distractions.

IMG_5574.jpg

These are for a group build on Aeroscale and IPMS/Marietta. I should get back to work on them instead of hanging out here.

Yes Jessica is a hottie.

23677_105607982814870_7907720_n.jpg

Careful though, she's a good Catholic schoolgirl.

So much for discussing big airplane models.

You going to the Nats?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Jim, Thank for your kind words, I do love this hobby but even too much of a good thing is bad!

Funny you should mention the Lathe. I have been reading about several different models and have even been tracking some package deals. I too believe I would benefit greatly from both a lathe and a vertical mill. There has been any number of times that these machines would have made the task not only simpler but more precise and “safer too”.

When you find the title of the book please send it my way. I have some very basic and old lath skills from Metal Shop in High School (real old) and have even used my Dermel tool to turn small fitting out of white metal but I think it's time to step up and make the purchase.

I'm leaning toward Sherline a little on the pricey side but good quality, a long standing solid reputation for small Lathes and Milling Machines and they have a complete line of tools and provide support for their product. I’ve found a couple of package deals (basic accessories) for around $1,100.00 and though that is a lot of $$$ I believe it would be well worth the investment.

Barry

Hi Barry,

You might try Amazon for the "Complete Car Modeller" by Gerald Wingrove and the "Complete Car Modeller 2" by the same author. There's also "Building Models in Brass" by someone else. That might also be good.

Good Luck on growing your skills.

Jim

• 2 months later...