Wingnut Wings Brandenburg W.29

scvrobeson

Hey everybody. Big update this time, a lot of work has been done since I checked in last time. THe cockpit and fuselage are now together, and the pilot coamings have been added, and the horizontal stabilizer has been put on as well. Almost perfect fit all around, just a little bit of filling needed around the coamings, but that could have been my fault, not sure. But I've decided to build this one in sub-assemblies, and add the wings at the end once they've been decaled. Make this plane easier to handle.

W29BuildLog019.jpg

W29BuildLog020.jpg

W29BuildLog022.jpg

W29BuildLog023.jpg

W29BuildLog024.jpg

W29BuildLog025.jpg

W29BuildLog018.jpg

W29BuildLog026.jpg

Here you go. Lots of work done, this kit is really amazing, I'm so glad Wingnuts decided to bring out a kit of this one, and hope to get some more progress done this weekend, as time allows. Thanks everyone for checking in, and feel free to comment and critique as you see fit.

Edited by scvrobeson

There's a quick update due here. The bottom of the fuselage and floats were painted using Model Master RLM 76 Light Blue, which seemed to be a pretty good match to the mix provided in the instructions. But only after painting did I find a nasty seam on the bottom..... :BANGHEAD2: So out with the Surfacer and the sandpaper, and it's all sanded down now.

W29BuildLog030.jpg

The undersides of the floats. I know it's kind of hard to see the color, but I swear they're light blue

W29BuildLog035.jpg

W29BuildLog034.jpg

And the rest of the underside, showing the Surfacer smeared on the lower seam....

W29BuildLog036.jpg

W29BuildLog037.jpg

And here it all is sanded down and polished. Ready for another coat of paint once I stop being busy, and the California rain stops. Weather just decided to come in today....

Also, the undersides of the wings and tailplane were sprayed as well, using Gunze 85 Sail Color. Came out looking pretty well, which makes me happy. Just need to Future the wings, so I can do the lozenge on the top, and the big crosses on the bottom.

W29BuildLog027.jpg

W29BuildLog028.jpg

W29BuildLog029.jpg

That's all for this update. Hope people are enjoying this build, I'm sure enjoying this one. Hope that small amount of Surfacer won't scare anyone away from this amazing kit.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey there folks. It's been a long time since I've updated this build, so here's some progress on it. The floats have now been painted and assembled, even more amazing Wingnuts fit here. The floats were painted with Tamiya Nato Black, then highlighted with Nato Black and Royal Light Gray mixed together. After that, they were dry-brushed with Royal Light Gray, and will get a wash too later on. The fronts still need to be painted brass, but that can be done once the paint cures.

The fuselage also got its paint coats, a mix of Tamiya Light Gray XF-66, and Royal Light Gray XF-80, about 50/50, then highlighted with straight XF-80. Shading was also done using the highlight paint for the floats, sprayed really thin and really light. Most of the weathering is too subtle for the photos, but it's there, and I kind of wanted it to be subtle.

W29BuildLog038.jpg

W29BuildLog039.jpg

W29BuildLog040.jpg

W29BuildLog041.jpg

Here are all of the shots of the floats. i think they look pretty good here, if I do say so.

W29BuildLog042.jpg

W29BuildLog043.jpg

W29BuildLog044.jpg

W29BuildLog045.jpg

And the four pictures of the fuselage. You can kind of see the weathering here, but maybe it will become more apparent after the washes and stuff go on.

That's it for this update, kind of a short one. Hope everyone enjoys the read, and all comments and critiques are welcomed and encouraged. Feel free.

Looking good so far. I know it will turn out beautiful. I just received mine yesterday and plan to start the build soon. Good to have your build, etc to refer to when the time comes! ;)

John

Looking great

It is a bit an odd shaped airframe isn't it?

Yeah, it really is. Not sure what it reminds me of, but it almost looks like a dolphin. It's a cool looking plane no matter what. Thanks for commenting, hope you're enjoying the build

Looking good so far. I know it will turn out beautiful. I just received mine yesterday and plan to start the build soon. Good to have your build, etc to refer to when the time comes! ;)

John

Thanks John. It's really a great build, and one I'm really enjoying. I hope you enjoy yours as well, just remember to follow the directions, and maybe you'll avoid some of the gaps that I did, which were probably all self-induced.

• 11 years later...

Hello scvrobeson, If you are still around, I'd like to point this in your direction: To anyone who has this kit, I'd like to ask a favor.  I'm doing the 1/72 MPM kit of this, and I'm going to try to re-create the part (no idea what it is, kit does not identify it) that is located in front of the pilot's cockpit, on the right side of the plane.  It is part A4 in the WNW instructions.    But there are no good angles to judge the size of it, only to make estimates.  Would it be possible for someone to measure this part?  I'd need the height of the part overall, not including the base that is part of the fuselage (and not including the locating peg on the bottom),

and maybe the top part, which is the largest component of this item.  The more precise, the better -- remember I'm trying to take this down to 1/72.  Intending to use several pieces of telescoping alum tube.  Should be an interesting chore.  But just in case, I haven't drilled the hole in the fuselage.  

Thanks for reaching out. Unfortunately, I don't have the completed kit anymore, it was destroyed in a move long ago.  Sorry that I can not be of more help, hopefully someone is able to get you the measurements that you need.

Matt 

Nuts, I've been playing around with this for 3 days, thought I might have found a solution.  Thanks anyway, Matt, glad to make your acquaintance -- very sorry to hear about your WNW kit.  It looked like you were well on your way to a masterpiece.

Best wishes, 

Bob