4-8-8-4

LSP_K2

Thanks Stephen. Yes, this will have the revell AG Big Boy locomotive and tender. And you're right, it does kind of suck to cover up all that track, but about 95% of the track will not be seen once this effort is completed.

You can always display the track as it is without anything on it. When people ask where the train is you can say it is right there on the track but it is the new "Stealth Train." :rolleyes:

Stephen

Finished adding rails and such.

3wii7T.jpg

QBrFlp.jpg

Base coated with Gunze Tire black. While at the LHS yesterday, I picked up a couple of HO figures for scale reference; I’ll end up repainting this guy.

sSzosf.jpg

• 1 year later...
Guest Peterpools

Kev

Just love'n the build. before coming back into our hobby, I was a model railroader (narrow gauge) for many years.

Super work on the tender details and track work as well. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Peter

Yay, I completely missed that build. Very nice steamer you buildt there...

...thankfully, locomotive stuff is so awfully expensive that I'm not really able to get involved in that stuff...

...otherwise, it would be a terrible penny grave. I have way to many ideas what to do... :D

Thanks fellas. Yes, this is yet another effort I'd really like to finish this winter, and is high on my "must do" list. With any luck, I'll be making another trip to the local ransportation museum again soon, for more photos of the 4006 Big Boy they have on display there.

And KOTR, I'm in the process of selling off some brand new HO rolling stock I recently found in the dungeon. It was my intention to do about a 4" wide shelf around the periphery of my living room (up by the ceiling), for some train displays, but I have no real idea now when I'd actually get around to it.

Well, being grown up in a city, the first picture I have on my mind when I think of railroads are the disctricts surrounding a station, which usually have their own, special feel. Low rents, everything is a bit dirty and sleazy, often a place you prefer to avoid, even more so when its dark. Or sometimes, like in Nuremberg, the sparkling city center where you go shopping up the frontside, and the other milieu on the other side of the tracks. A bit offside, you often find some traditional heavy industry relying on the railroad for their logistics. Lots of space to let your imagination run wild...

...the countryside outside of the urban area has a certain appeal too, but that is rather secondary to me.

How do I come back to the topic? I think I was about to tell that I find it somewhat difficult to combine and blend in those very different environments in a display that fits into an average house, let alone an appartment... :)

• 5 weeks later...

While going through my files on this model, I realized that for some reason I'd never posted this image, the main drive wheels, now with centers painted flat back and some pastels smeared around. Lots of ejector pin marks still to be removed from wheel inside surfaces though.

HzM1TE.jpg

11 hours ago, Gazzas said:

I try not to spend too much effort on ejector pin marks...  especially if there is raised detail around them.

The back of the wheels are as flat as a pancake, and would be very visible on the finished model, so they really need to go.

I am curious. Which Big Boy are you referring to, the HO unpowered kit or the G gauge read to run locoomotive (1/29 scale).

I have so little regqrd to any scale other than G that when I assemble a smaller scale kit I just put the parts together and paint it.  I sismply do not consider any of  the smaller scale models worth the effort. To me the smaller scale models aer like the wood moldels carved in the Philliipines,  good for illlustrating the overall shape.

Of course the G gauge Big Boy cost over a thousand dollars. I guess that is a consideration.. :wacko:

When you get to my age large size models are necessary as one's vision weakens with age.

Allso, most model railroad items aer meant to be actually run on model railroad layouts. Fine scale modelling is often a secondary consideration..

Stephen