1/32 Kettenkrad & Shinden 'Flight Set' from Zoukei-mura

JamesHatch

A little off-topic but apparently those Kettens are like gold for farmers. They are such a useful GP vehicle in and around the farm. Coming from a non-snowing climate about the closest thing I can equate to one these days is snow mobile type arrangement.

The aircraft/figures and accesories all look tantalisingly awesome.

Cheers Matty

A little off-topic but apparently those Kettens are like gold for farmers. They are such a useful GP vehicle in and around the farm. Coming from a non-snowing climate about the closest thing I can equate to one these days is snow mobile type arrangement.

The aircraft/figures and accesories all look tantalisingly awesome.

Cheers Matty

eh?

did you mean WERE like gold to farmers?? ie immediately post war? after all, i know axles from a lot of German armour was still being used on farm carts in Europe post war (mainly Eastern / other side of Iron Curtain)

surely you can't mean today?

or are you talking about use of quad bikes etc? they are used by farmers even here in UK, although much less than in Australia and New Zealand (don't know about USA)

cheers

Nick

I forget the details but there was a doco or something similar which showed some old fella in Europe with this decrepid looking one he'd had since the war. It was beaten up and didn't even look military issue but it seems such a good size for farm work...well, certain things and in smaller areas. We have massive farms over here where only gigantic equipment will do but on small farms where you have to get between things with something heavy and the Massey Ferg is too big...they're perfect. Narrow but can drag heaps of weight around. Quads and tiny tractors seem like thats about it?

I find it a little odd thats all. From all I've ever read about Kettens they were highly prized bits, uber reliable and could tow heaps of kit around even in the snottiest terrain. From what I recall from the Quambatook Tractor Pull show it was always the tracked vehicles that generated the most amount of torque and traction to move the sleds.

What has become more common these days ( in the last 2yrs) is to see Bobcats fitted with tracks...never used to...now its an either/or thing.

Woe the hybrid vehicle?...cost driven?

Cheers Matty