Sometimes neat ideas come to mind...sanding

Hi guys, I have an interesting idea to share regarding sanding those tight places such as jet air intakes etc. After many hours of hand sanding I looked up from the sink and saw my Oral-B battery powered tooth brush. An idea struck me and I tried it. I loved it!! Somebody else might have come up with this already but this is what I did and it works like a charm. I took the replaceable bristle off and trimmed the bristles off with a razor blade. Then I super glued on a small round piece of foam to the turnable part where the bristles were trimmed off of. Next I super glued a nicely cut round (to match the diameter of the turnable part) piece of 600 grit wet/dry and plugged 'er back on to the body of the electric tooth brush. Next I polished up the inside of my 1/32 scale F-86 air intake nicely, got rid of the seams and blended and polished 'er up like nothing before! I am so happy. Earlier this year I tried to order from HLJ a portable sanding tool for such applications. I waited for a couple of months and then HLJ told me they no longer carry it. Well, now I have my very own sanding tool, and it works great! The great thing is that you can use up the old bristle parts when they wear out after brushing your teeth!! I also tried super glueing some felt pad to another tip and smeared on some Tamiya polishing putty and buffed up my canopy!! Wow, it is actually fun. I had to share this with everybody, I am so damm happy!

Give 'er a go!

Cheers from Europe

Alan

Thank you alan now that I dont need my elect. tooth brush anymore it will drive the wife nuts #>biggrin.gif she is always asking why I use this for that and that for this dymo lable tape finger nail polish remover and so on as if I dont have enough tools and the like on my table #>wink.gif

Logical next step?...........sand your tooth carefully with 600 dry/wet paper, then seal it with a coat of semi-gloss ( Tamiya), let it dry with a grin for 24 hours and finally do a little bit of "weathering", perhaps in "Marlboro-yellow".......ROFL.....................

Chris/Germany

this is what its all about! a superb idea and if you can't wait for the old one to expire, you can pick up cheap electric brushes at most supermarkets.

Like Chris's idea for applying adhesive to foil, this must get some kind of award for innovation.

My contribution is very low tech, I just take out the mini dental bur I use in my dremel to twiddle between thumb and finger to create fasteners. The tool spins it too quickly eeven on slow and melts the kit, the slight pressure and twiddle just makes enough of a mark to recreate a nice dimple. its probably already being done by modellers the world over, but i discovered it for myself and that means oh so much to my sad little life!

cheers

Tony

like I said, an award for innovative thinking, very lateral!!!

• LSP_Kevin changed the title to Sometimes neat ideas come to mind...sanding