P-40B Flying Tiger

Ghostrider

Hey everyone, I just finished this one up the other day and thought I'd share it with you all. Some of the photos are darker then others and aren't that great. One day I'll figure out a good set up for photographing. This is Charles Older's plane from the 3rd pursuit squadron Hell's Angels. This is the Trumpeter kit but I replaced the cockpit with the offering from Lone Star Models to correct the depth of the cockpit. Resin exhaust and wheels were also used as well as custom decals from Joe Schulte at Diecast and Decals. The shark mouth was painted using Montex mask. It was a good kit and the fit was really good all around. I hope you all enjoy.

Thanks, Neil

1a-2.jpg

2-4.jpg

21-1.jpg

18.jpg

16.jpg

15-1.jpg

14-2.jpg

11-4.jpg

8-3.jpg

7-5.jpg

It really turned out great. It's good to hear the Lone Star cockpit fixes the depth. The CMK one doesn't and the Cutting Edge one is pretty hard to find now.

Did you have problems with the exhaust stubs? On mine, the halves just wouldn't fit together. I finally gave up, cut the beveled part off and let filler to the rest.

Chris

It really turned out great. It's good to hear the Lone Star cockpit fixes the depth. The CMK one doesn't and the Cutting Edge one is pretty hard to find now.

Did you have problems with the exhaust stubs? On mine, the halves just wouldn't fit together. I finally gave up, cut the beveled part off and let filler to the rest.

Chris

Hi Chris, I'm glad you liked it. The kit exhaust are by far the worst part about the kit in my opinion. I chose to trash them and use resin exhaust from Noblekraft. These are absolutely fantastic. They fit right in place as the the kit supplied exhaust would and look great.

Thanks, Neil

Excellent looking Hawk!

Did you use the kit wing gun barrels?

Barry

Thanks everyone for the compliments. I am glad you all liked it.

Barry I forgot to mention that I used the Master British Mk 2 Browning .303 caliber barrels instead of the kit parts.

Neil

Very nice Neil! You don't see too many of these built, which is a shame. Yours turned out very nicely indeed!

Kev

Thanks Kev. Yea I'm not sure why these don't get built more. The kit itself is really nice and has a really good fit all around. Aside from the cockpit and exhaust I really didn't have any major issues with the kit.

Neil

Thanks everyone for the compliments. I am glad you all liked it.

Barry I forgot to mention that I used the Master British Mk 2 Browning .303 caliber barrels instead of the kit parts.

Neil

I was hoping you did; I want to use them when I'm ready to build mine.

Great Build!

I was hoping you did; I want to use them when I'm ready to build mine.

Great Build!

I'm glad I did too, they are a great addition. Have you decided what markings you're going to go with? :BANGHEAD2:

Great job on the plane. I need to try those Montex masks one day. are they hard to use?

Hey Ole thanks for the compliment. The masks are really easy to use. They have low tack that helps when getting the positioning right. Even with the curves of the nose the sharks mouth was very easy to position and paint. I think you would really like them once you try them.

Neil,

Thanks for the heads up on the exhausts. I have another I want to do in the British desert shark mouth scheme. I managed to find another CE cockpit on ebay for a reasonable price.

Very cool build.

Chris