P-47D 28 RE

LSP_Paul

Hi again folks!

So two years ago I moved from Colorado to Oregon. In the process I had to pack and try to not lose(break) some projects that were in progress at the time. This is one of those planes.

Hasegawa's P-47D bubble top.

I did manage to lose the dorsal fillet I had assembled and also needed a prop from the Trumpeter kit that the Hasegawa kit doesn't come with to make it accurate for the A/C I'm going to build this into. I also managed to snap off two of the wing spars on the right side that hold the dihedral of the wing... this otta be fun..

Luckily a very nice guy from LSP (Tench) aka Keith, had the two parts I needed and volunteered to help me out (THANKS KEITH! ) Below are the pictures of my work thus far.

I had originally painted the basic cockpit details and was quite happy with it...but NOOooooooo last week I had to get crazy and get some "fun" parts into the mix... Sent an order into Sprue Brothers on Wednesday , got my parts on Friday (THANKS GORDON YOU ROCK! )

I re-did the cockpit using Eduard's excellent P-47 D 25 set (32-603) it includes just about everything you'd need to upgrade the the already awesome pit Hasegawa gives you out of the box. I added some wiring to the rear of the instruments and all the PE after repainting the dark green(bronze green) and black areas, and added some wethering to make it look right.

Ok, so I had this awesome pit done, now the really fun part. I had a set of one each of Radu's incredible seat belts RB-P32008 (US Luftwaffe and British)and decided I'd see how much I could test my sanity...well it wasn't as bad as Id planned on and I think they came out very nicely.

I also had originally bought the Teknics R-2800 which I assembled and wired and is now ready to go in the modified mount in the cowl. So that's where it stands now.. I just put the whole thing into the fuselage and glued it( it's drying now) and then Ill start playing with the wings etc. and get out the micro sanding pads and get it ready for some primer. More pics later this week if it all works out.

Wish me luck,

Paul

P-47D007.jpg

P-47D013.jpg

P-47D001.jpg

P-47D003.jpg

P-47D009.jpg

P-47D011.jpg

Thanks Tench Now you can see why I needed those parts so badly! :lol:

Glad ya like it. Keep an eye out for some more updates this week.

Paul

Wow, nice neat work. Good cockpit color and weathering. Those RB seatbelts are amazing.

Thanks Kevin!

Glad you like it so far! If the devil is in the details then this thing should be the kit from hell I suppose :lol: Hopefully I'll be able to get the seam lines etc to go away and get it ready for bare metal (alclad) later this week.

Paul

Lovely work Paul. That's a great looking cockpit!

Kev

Awesome work Paul!! :lol:

The pit looks killer and the weathering and thinness of the cockpit seat and what-not looks spot on......

Just gotta make sure next time your takin the time to get shots of a beautiful Pit youve labored on make sure you dont have a shadow coverin up some of the good parts! :lol:

Cheers and keep the pics comin....

Brian

Thanks Brian! IM glad you enjoyed the work so far. I liked the shadow effect...I thought it added dramatic effect and helped hide the unpainted plastic on the back of the panel you couldnt see.. Oh well .. :lol: Man I hope I can get this thing all filled and polished out this week. Starting with 3200 and going to 12000..

Paul

Awesome work Paul!! :lol:

The pit looks killer and the weathering and thinness of the cockpit seat and what-not looks spot on......

Just gotta make sure next time your takin the time to get shots of a beautiful Pit youve labored on make sure you dont have a shadow coverin up some of the good parts! :lol:

Cheers and keep the pics comin....

Brian

The effect is cool either way............its just always interesting to see all the detail that gets put into the pit. I personally love front offices, and usually try to make that a focal point on my models so I can always appreciate someone else's efforts.........especially when the end result looks as cool as yours is ending up. :lol:

Cheers,

Brian

Thanks again for the kind words Brian :lol: I just laid in the first layer of putty for the seams... so far it didnt need much.. but you know how it goes with nautral metal finishes, I wont know anything till we get to primer ...

Cant wait to see your mustang project get goin !

Paul

The effect is cool either way............its just always interesting to see all the detail that gets put into the pit. I personally love front offices, and usually try to make that a focal point on my models so I can always appreciate someone else's efforts.........especially when the end result looks as cool as yours is ending up. :lol:

Cheers,

Brian

Paul,

If the pit is any indicator of the rest of the plane, it's going to be a beaut. That Eduard stuff really makes the cockpit 'pop' and those Radu seatbelts are as real looking as it gets.

Looking forward to seeing it finished out.

Fred

Hey Paul, wecome to God's country. My name is Chuck and I live 40 miles up the McKenzie at Blue River. I do 1/32 aircraft and figs, also 120mm figs. It's getting warm enough to start thinking about working out in my studio again. Email is chuckblueriver@hotmail.com, zip me a note

Thank you Fred! This is the first time I used the pre- colored Eduard stuf and I have to say I agree with you. I was worried they would look cheesy until I had the first couple placards installed..then I stepped back and looked at it and was suprised at how much they do add.

Radu's belts will be in everything else I build from now on as well. I've tried everything from the old "Cutting Edge" sets to tape and home made pop can aluminum over the years, but Radu has come up with the best IMHO.

Last night before I ran out of caffine, I added the wings and horizontal tails. so today, Ill be moving the engine mount behind the firewall down a little over an 1/8 inch so the bottom of the cowling lines up, and doing the seams/sanding routine. May post more pics tonight.

Thanks again for the kind words.

:)

Paul

Paul,

If the pit is any indicator of the rest of the plane, it's going to be a beaut. That Eduard stuff really makes the cockpit 'pop' and those Radu seatbelts are as real looking as it gets.

Looking forward to seeing it finished out.

Fred

Howdy Chuck and thanks! I love to camp up that way, spent most of last summer out in the woods camping rafting and fishing...makes it hard to stay in and model when you have all this fun stuff to do outside! I'll have to get ahold of you next time Im driving over to Bend or heading up to camp, shouldnt be long now..C'MON SUMMER! :)

Paul

Hey Paul, wecome to God's country. My name is Chuck and I live 40 miles up the McKenzie at Blue River. I do 1/32 aircraft and figs, also 120mm figs. It's getting warm enough to start thinking about working out in my studio again. Email is chuckblueriver@hotmail.com, zip me a note

Hey again Paul , I should add that this is also the land of not many modeler types that I know of. There are a couple of us and there is a very small club but it's not IPMS or any think of that ilk, but we do try to go to McMinville in Sept for the McShow It's a very good venue and a good time. any way zip me a note if you have a chance. Yes summer is on it's way but remember Oregonians don't tan they rust. Ha !