Airfix 1/24 Mosquito take 2

gunpowder

Amazing work!

I feel a bit slow and behind the 8 ball as I'm making all these notes from reference material and am waiting to show a step by step much like yourself. One day at a time I suppose. All that aside, your work is simply stunning! Excellent work.

I mentioned it somewhere else before, but take a quick boo at reference books showing the cockpit floor on the Nav side, there are 6 discs on the Nav side of the floor almost directly across from the control column that are missing on the kit floor.

The throttle quadrant looks great too. Excellent attention to detail.

What are your plans for the plumbing underneath?

Mark.

I mentioned it somewhere else before, but take a quick boo at reference books showing the cockpit floor on the Nav side, there are 6 discs on the Nav side of the floor almost directly across from the control column that are missing on the kit floor.

Watch out Mark, make sure that you are not seeing mounting points for a second set of controls. AFAIK several of the existing airframes are dual control trainers with the right hand set of controls removed.

Dave P

I built the engine control rods from plasticard and plastic rod. The little control horns on the end were real little buggers! Ive really enjoyed it though. I have made 3 rods as my book shows them. Most of the photos i have seen online have the holes in the brackets , but the rod is missing.

I have also removed the molded in linkages from the throttle box and added other details. Still lots more to add including the switches for the lamps , and the lamps!

A most enjoyable project so far.

DSC04903.jpg

Gunpowder, please recheck you references. I do not have any photos of any NFII/FB MKVI with the "mixture control" rod (the center rod)! Yes the bracket has the third hole, however I have never seen a photo showing the third rod or a bearing for the rod installed. I have seen it in drawings yes, but never in a photo. I have also never seen a photo of the sheet metal blanking/closure plates with three holes, only two holes.

As always, it is generally safer to believe what photos show, not drawings.

Gunpowder, please recheck you references. I do not have any photos of any NFII/FB MKVI with the "mixture control" rod (the center rod)! Yes the bracket has the third hole, however I have never seen a photo showing the third rod or a bearing for the rod installed. I have seen it in drawings yes, but never in a photo. I have also never seen a photo of the sheet metal blanking/closure plates with three holes, only two holes.

As always, it is generally safer to believe what photos show, not drawings.

OK thanks. I thought the same thing which is why i left that center one just slid in!

OK thanks. I thought the same thing which is why i left that center one just slid in!

In earlier correspondences with a guy that wrote a technical book on the Mosquito and I asked him about this very issue. He believes that the prototype and a few of the early production batches of airframes had manual mixture controls but then the design standard was changed to a carburetor with an automatic mixture setup. Evidently, the technical illustrations never got changed.

Thats interesting. Thanks Dave.

The wiring is done , well at least as much as i want to do. I can get on and paint this half soon. I also removed the molded on wires fron the control stick and added new ones.

DSC04918.jpg

DSC04915.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well this one was sold on , but i have now started another one (dont ask!). These photos were very handy and the new one got to this stage within a few hours. I will carry on from here and post some photos later.

I have carefully sanded and dry fitted the nose panels and all fits well. Airfix tell you to fit the lower nose panel at a later stage after the wings have been fitted. I have found it easier to fit it first. I intend to get the nose with guns etc fitted before i fit the wings.

Here are some more photos along with my Tamiya 1/48 Mosquito.

DSC05087.jpg

DSC05094.jpg

DSC05095.jpg

The tailplane has been assembled and attched now. The mainplane is just clipped in. I was going to add the nose guns but i think i will leave that until later.

DSC05139.jpg