Airfix 1/24 Mosquito take 2

gunpowder

Well i got the first one nearly finished but ended up Swapping it with a friend of mine who is blind. We both agreed that he would never be able to get it finished so he sent me a new kit and i sent him the nearly finished one.

This time i intend to add lots of extra detail. I have lots of pics from the internet , but any interior photos that anyone has of the port wall in the cockpit or the whole cockpit would be post appreciated.

Hope to start the filling tonight!

This website is a goldmine of photo information literaly 100s of pics

http://www.warbirdrestoration.co.nz/current.html#ka114

But I also have a copy of this book

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?u...ords=0946627320

It literally has everything you could possibly want, see if you can pick up a copy.

The major cockpit flaws are, no throttle, mixture control and propellor pitch control rods which are fitted

to the front face of the main spar (obviously the continuation of these rods into the engine nacelles are missing as well)

together with the linkages that connect to the engine layshaft which is well depicted in the Kit.

The fuel control panel is poorly represented.

The wing pickup members are missing completely missing from either side of the radio shelf, these would be very visible through

the canopy.

There doesn't seem to be any of the mechanism for the opening direct vision panels on either side of the armoured windscreen

Then there is the omissions from the undercarriage, the door roller assemblies and door bungies are missing, and no detail

on the inside of the u/c doors themselves.

I feel that Airfix have got the Mossie about 97% correct, and with a little creative scratch building it could be as good as anything

currently available, and when the aftermarket people get stuck into the kit it will become the masterpiece that Airfix wanted.

I believe Neil at Paragon is already working on some stuff for the Mossie, I can't wait.

Hope this helps and please PM me if you want any other info on this Awesome Aircraft as I have a huge amount of referance material

on the Mossie.

Regards Rob..

Heres the basic cockpit parts. I have filled all of the ejector pin marks. They dont seem such a chore this time but that may be because im prepaired for them.

DSC04883.jpg

DSC04886.jpg

DSC04887.jpg

DSC04889.jpg

I also cut the control stick to allow me to reposition it slightly.

DSC04890.jpg

OK change of plan.....again. Im now going for the RAAF FB-VI A52-618 "The Bondi Blonde". If anyone has any info on this plane it would be appreciated. Im wondering if it would have underwing bombs or just the tanks.

OK change of plan.....again. Im now going for the RAAF FB-VI A52-618 "The Bondi Blonde". If anyone has any info on this plane it would be appreciated. Im wondering if it would have underwing bombs or just the tanks.

Just a quick heads up...I think that most all of the Aussi Mosquitos had metal drop tanks with seams down the center. The shape is different from the British wood tanks. Also, the photos that I have seen also show a huge rectangular recess in the bottom for fitting it to the mount.

As always, check your references and believe what the photos show. Not what the words say! :ph34r:

Dave P

Thanks Chaps. My biggest problem in life is my indecisiveness. I drives me and others mad!! I like the RAAF one but i also like the Banff one , but then again i like the RAF one. I give myself a headache sometimes!! :shrug:

I cut the discs and the cutout for the torque tubes. I didnt have the money for a Punch set so i made a hollow punch from a sharpened piece of brass tubing. I used it un top of my wife's rubberised chopping board (No she doesnt know!). Worked Good. The discs were slightly domed but flattened out easily. Im going to sand them down slightly tomorrow. Thats a job out of the way.

Heres the punch i made

DSC04902.jpg

And here are the results.

DSC04900.jpg

DSC04901.jpg

I built the engine control rods from plasticard and plastic rod. The little control horns on the end were real little buggers! Ive really enjoyed it though. I have made 3 rods as my book shows them. Most of the photos i have seen online have the holes in the brackets , but the rod is missing.

I have also removed the molded in linkages from the throttle box and added other details. Still lots more to add including the switches for the lamps , and the lamps!

A most enjoyable project so far.

DSC04903.jpg

DSC04904.jpg

DSC04908.jpg

DSC04909.jpg