Im all confoozled EUROFIGHTER TYPHOON, TORNADO , TOMATO

ssculptor

Revell seems to have released a number of the eurofighter kits.

Are they all basically the same with just minor tweaks or are one or more of them really different?

I am trying to catch up on my knowledge of European jets post 1960.

As far as I can tell there is the Panavia Eurofighter Tornado.

the Tornado came before the Typhoon.

Revell released three 1/32 Panavia Tornados:

04700 TORNADO IDS (Panther on tail)

04718 Tornado ECR Tigermeet 2000/02

4760 TORNADO G.R. Panavia

Now the Typhoon is a later and different aircraft.

Revell released their

4794 EUROFIGHTER ETA (EF2000) TYPHOON a while ago.

Now I understand that Revell had recently released another Typhoon.

Question, is the recent Revell Typhoon a lot different than the earlier kit (#4794)

OR, is it just a repop without changes?

Also, is the Trumpeter 02278 Eurofighter EF-2000A Typhoon a more betterer kit of the Typhoon than the recent Revell offering?

Does anyone know?

I am very confoozled.

Stephen :evil_laugh:

Question, is the recent Revell Typhoon a lot different than the earlier kit (#4794)

Also, is the Trumpeter 02278 Eurofighter EF-2000A Typhoon a more betterer kit of the Typhoon than the recent Revell offering?

Does anyone know?

I am very confoozled.

Stephen :evil_laugh:

Stephen don't be confoozled, the Typhoon in its original issue is a far cry from the newest revell release.

The 4794 is a very, very basic kit compared to the new one, hardly any and/or accurate cockpit detail, same goes for any other detailing, but general shape is ok.

Now, on the subject of comparing this new one with the Trump Typhoon: it seems the Revell issue is slightly (?) better in detailing, and surely better in price.

But i don't have this kit yet, so maybe someone else can pitch in.

Also the original IDS Tornado version is hardly comparable with the later issues.

J:O)

Are they all basically the same with just minor tweaks or are one or more of them really different?

Revell released their

Does anyone know?

I am very confoozled.

Stephen :blink:

Revell, and RoG actually released 5 new tool Tornado kits in the 90's and 2 original old tool kits from the 80's. I don't know all the kit #'s, but the original kits had an actual photo of the aircraft on the box. They had a German IDS and a British F2 ADV.

The new tool kits were (all ROG) Black Panther on tail (IDS) Marinefleiger (IDS) GR.1 (with desert Storm and European decals) and the ECR (Tigermeet). Revell USA released the GR.1 kit in Desert Storm only markings. Basic plastic is all the same in all these kits, except in color (at least the Black Panther kit was molded in green). All the GR.1 kits include all the necessary British pods and weapons, in addition to the original German pods and weapons. German IDS include only German pods and weapons.

The old 80's Typhoon has nothing to do with the current kit. The Trump Typhoon apparently has some serious shape issues. The Revell kit has some molding quality issues, and is basic in some areas. Consensus is that the Revell kit is the better buy, as its cheaper and more accurate, even with the molding problems and basic detail. Plus its about 1/2 the retail price of the Trump kit. The Revell kit is basically a scale up of their 1/48 kit.

Revell released their

Does anyone know?

I am very confoozled.

Stephen :blink:

Hi Stephen,

The later Revell Typhoon is a very nice kit - the original release not so. I have not seen the Trumpeter equivalent, but I expect that it shall be pretty much the same as all Trumpeter kits. The Revell Tornado kit is a re-release of their last offering, but probably with new markings. The Revell ADV Tornado F.2 is not a particularly good kit by all accounts.

As for the confusion over names, it is probably best viewd this way: The consortium of European Countries (England, Germany and Italy) collaborating to make the Tornado are called Panavia. Panavia designed and produced two basic variants of the Tornado aircraft, the IDS variant (InterDictor Strike - Ground attack), and the ADV (Air Defence Variant).

As for Typhoon/Eurofighter aircraft, a similar condition exists. This time, the European consortium consists of four Countries (England, Germany, Italy and Spain), the consortium being known as Eurofighter. The aircraft name of Eurofighter, EFA or EF2000, is recognised in Europe, and by the three European Air Forces that operate it. The name Typhoon is a UK name, used by the RAF for their aircraft (The RAF do not generally call it Eurofighter).

Due to the common likes between most of the participant European Countries, both Tornado and Typhoon/Eurofighter are now controlled through NETMA.

HTH

Derek

Hi Stephen,

The later Revell Typhoon is a very nice kit - the original release not so. I have niot seen the Trumpeter equivalent, but I expect that it shall be pretty much the same as all Trumpeter kits.

Derek

I wish the Trumpeter Typhoon was like their Mig-21, or Mig-19, or Me-262, or P-47, or their Mig-3, or their Bearcat, but I'm guessing that wasn't the point you were trying to make there.

I wouldn't characterize the Typhoon as a very nice kit. I would say its a decent kit, along the lines of their He-162 kit. Basic cost saving taken a bit too far for my liking. I've seen in progress builds, and the cockpit looks basic even for a 1/48th kit, the seat looking especially 'basic' for this scale. The intake is especially poor for 1/32. Apparently lots of sink marks as well, some in some fairly difficult places to fix. Not nearly as good (IMHO) as their Tornado or Hunter kits. They could have taken the money spent on the engines and applied it to the intakes and cockpit, and been better off, I believe.

Thank you all for the info.

What had confused me was the fact that both were called the Eurofighter. Now I understand what is what.

I will build the Panavia Tornados with the interesting paint schemes. The one with the black panther on the tail 04700 TORNADO IDS (Panther on tail) and the tiger stripped one, 04718 Tornado ECR Tigermeet 2000/02.

I don't know yet what to do with the third one, the 4760 TORNADO G.R. Panavia. Maybe I'll put it on ebay and put the money I get for it into other kits I want.

As to the Typhoon, I'll build the 4794 EUROFIGHTER ETA (EF2000) TYPHOON, hopefully with some kind of interesting paint scheme, like a tiger stripe or whatever. I own it so why not.

Since I do not really worry about the small details, like the cockpit and landing gear, I'll build the models just for the fun of it. To me, that is what the hobby is all about.

I will not buy the later, more correct Revell Typhoon as I would rather put the money into the Revel He-111 when it comes our and into the new Trumpeter releases, if they ever release the Dauntless, Stromovick, and a few others that interest me.

And all those WW1 beauties from New Zealand, well.... gotta have those.

Also I'll build the Revell 4752 SAAB JAG 39 GRIPEN. Yes it is a bit inaccurate but I have it and I can live with it.

When will I build all these kits? Well, I used to say when I retire. But I retired seven years ago. Now I am working as a free lance technical draftsman, I'm illustrating a book or two and I am making my sculpture. Also I'm selling off all the stuff I have accumulated in the past 55 years on ebay. It's good thing I retired so I can have the time to do all these things. :speak_cool:

Stephen