I'm in with one P-51, possibly more

Atleast you know which Fighter Group it belongs to now.

Actualy no i dont .... :speak_cool:

But she looks great love the paint job

Keep up the good work

Cheers

Neo

Thanks Blackbetty, it's a catchy paint scheme. Well, I"ve tried to keep this a surprise as long as possible but I"m going to play my hand now. This project is really about the contraversial paint scheme of LOU IV. I"m not saying I have all the answers but this is my attempt based on images and available info. It's still got a long way to go but I'll try to have it completed by the end of this month.

post-345-1279286968.jpg

I've spoken with Craig Quattlebaum of P-51 SIG in an attempt to correct some errors modelers make when duplicating this particular Mustang. Mine will have some imperfections also but hey, it's all about enjoying the hobby of modeling and I thought this was the right time to do this unusual looking bird. The primary green is British Dk. green but I've added some other colors to try and match what I see. I also used my childrens fresh eyes to help. Young kids can be brutally honest and they have no idea about what colors are "supposed to be" on a P-51 so their opinion is pure and unbiased. They just call it like they see it so I'd ask them if a part of the airplane was green or blue or what. It was very refreshing and interesting to hear what they had to say.

post-345-1279287980.jpg

On a side note, I'll be 50 years old this Sunday. As an ealy birthday present I went scuba diving last weekend at Kerr Lake. It was fairly muddy and visibility was poor but it good to get reaquainted with a hobby that I used to have more time and money for. If any of you are scuba certified you'll know what I mean, it's so cool to breath under water and spend some time in another world.

post-345-1279288320.jpg

Not only is it cool to breathe underwater, but it is COOL underwater. I'm in the Outer Banks now, down here from a suburb of Washington, DC, and it has been HOT and HUMID in both of these places the past couple of weeks. You are definitly in a good place.

Happy Half Century!

Sincerely,

Mark

I'm still making some progress trying to close this deal in time. All the decals were stripped off after I had botched several of them trying to get air bubbles out and paint whit trim around some others. The markings are completed now and some weathering has been done. I used bare metal foil on the exhaust stack covers, I just love the look that stuff gives.

post-345-1279711221.jpg

I still have several small projects to perform before I can call it done but I'm close. The canopy looks very thick even though I've dipped it in future so I may try a home made vac piece. Nav lights still have to be done and put the underwing fuel tanks and prop on not to mention the base....(gasp). If I can get a decent break I"ll slide it under the wire in time.

post-345-1279711516.jpg

Well I"m glad the pilot turned out ok. I used three figures to create one that would fit in this cockpit properly. The front torso and head are from the Hasegawa Spitfire pilot, the read head, torso and legs are from the Revell A6M5 pilot and the arms are from the old, familiar stack of body parts from that Japanese infantry set.....(see my N1K2-J in the Rising Sun group build if this doesn't make sense) This Doyusha P-51 kit had a very shallow cockpit so it had to be trashed and the Hasegawa P-51 cockpit parts were cut and sanded so they would squeeze into this one. It seems like this Mustang kit has features that are in 1/35 scale but it's too late to complain about it now.

post-345-1279711887.jpg

I Made some more progress on this build today and there is light at the end of the tunnel. Since this is an early -5 model it has the ring and post site in addition to the typical gun site.

post-345-1279840877.jpg

I added some wire to the battery and radio compartment to help give the cockpit that busy look. The canopy is a bit thick and much of the detail I added to the cockpit isn't going to be visible.

post-345-1279841003.jpg

I aluminum tubing to improve the machine gun barrels and added the hoses for the connection to the wing tanks. The tanks are painted with good ol' Testors aluminum plate (buffing) straight ouf the rattle can and shined up with an old T-shirt. I've tried many ways to simulate a metal finish but this one is still the best looking to me. The only problem is that you can't mask over this paint without problems occuring.

post-345-1279841176.jpg

Another head on pass with everything except the all important prop, the rear view mirror on the canopy and the base that will hold the model in it's "flying" pose. The next images should have prop blur going on.

post-345-1279841335.jpg