I'm in with one P-51, possibly more

Hey John, it's really to good to hear from you. No bailouts for this project, the J. J. Christian replica will continue to pilot this Mustang just as he does in those famous photographs of LOU IV. So what kinds of things have you been coing lately? Any new projects or progress on any old ones?

Hey John, it's really to good to hear from you. No bailouts for this project, the J. J. Christian replica will continue to pilot this Mustang just as he does in those famous photographs of LOU IV. So what kinds of things have you been coing lately? Any new projects or progress on any old ones?

Working on a Stuka in the In progress forum

Okay, I finished the model itself so I guess this one qualifies as another completed group build project. (whew..) I'm still working on the base but I promised there would be some prop blur images. Here are a few to give you the general idea of what it'll look once it's perched on the base in flying mode.

post-345-1280098318.jpg

I had two primary goals with this project, to use the frowned up Doyusha kit and see if I could make it into a recognizable Mustang with no major modificaitons and to take a shot at doing the very contraversial LOU IV paint scheme. The base green as mentioned before is British Dark Green and I tweaked it a bit using some weathered deck blue for the areas that cover the invasion stripes.

post-345-1280098496.jpg

Looking back I wish I'd used the Hasegawa kit as the wings, spinner and other parts look more accurate but I"m mostly satisfied that this captures the P-51 well enough. As for the paint scheme I am about 75% pleased with this rendition but I still see more of a medium blue on the clearest images I could find. The aircraft next to LOU IV is E 2 S and it is clearly British Dark Green all over the painted areas but LOU IV is not the very same color so the mystery continues for me. I may have to have another go at this to get what I"m really looking for.

post-345-1280098799.jpg

Hey guys, well it's the last day for this group build and I though I had completed th emodel kit. Well after studying some images of LOU IV, I had another paint session upstairs and this is what came of it. I added blue overtones to cover the invasion stripes. I know this has been discussed a million times and it's a bit contraversial but this is my theory. I think a blu-ish color was used to cover the upper invasion stripes but the rest of the painted surfaces were British dk. green. This would answer why many aircraft spotters reported the aircraft as blue and others said no, they couldn't be because the USAAF never (watch that word) painted them that way. I think the paint over the invasion stripes was done in non-standard procedure and therefore made room for the use of blue or whatever was on hand and would do the job.

post-345-1280613423.jpg

I know some will disagree and others might agree and this isn't the final word I"m sure. It does satisfy my search as to how it could split the lines of P-51 fans into two camps...to a degree both were right. If you study all the available images both color and black and white you'll see a distinct line that seperates two shades of color on the wings upper surface. I had first done this using two different greens, one that had some blue mixed in it (see earlier images on this page) but it just didn't have enough variation and I had to rethink it.

post-345-1280613777.jpg

My plan is to try and duplicate some of the famous images of LOU IV on a sunny day and using an artificial cloud layer (polyfill fiber or cotton) as a cloud layer. It's obvious I can't do that today because it's drizzling rain and overcast. This image shows how steely grey the blue turns when I use the grey clouds as a backrgound. Looks like it's about to land on my rooftop.

post-345-1280613983.jpg

I"ll complete the base of cloud layer and make those photos in direct sunlight and see what results I can get. Years ago Tom Cleaver used the 1/48 Tamiya Mustang to build his version of this same aircraft. While I appreciate his knowledge and insight I came to a different outcome. In his article you'll see several of the images I'm speaking about and the last one is most interesting. It shows LOU IV in a color image banking away from the aircraft that took most of these images. The underside clearly shows that the invasion stripes under the port wing are missing the middle white stripe as it reaches the external wing tank. For whatever reason I've never seen any modeler include this detail on their build of this aircraft, same goes for the small red triangle on the port side of the engine beside the LOU IV nose art but it is shown to be there on the images.

post-345-1280614921.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, here are the final images for the Fatally Flawed fifty-One build that ended up falling into the Clear the Bench broup build. These were taken outside in direct sunlight, no photo shop or filters I tried to duplicate the popular images of LOU IV as closely as I could. Dave, choose from these for images to go on the gallery...thanks.

post-345-1281372979.jpg