BF-110 G-4

ruzlkampf

Last 2 top rails to install. The Revi gunsight for the upward firing cannons goes into the rats nest under these, and the reflector sight itself is installed under the canopy glazing. Again, none of this will be seen with the canopy in place. :angry2:

post-4413-1266047966.jpg

And a side profile of this assembly before painting and it goes under the glazing.

post-4413-1266048044.jpg

Okay, I'm going to step back a bit and show some broad overview pics before I got this all together and pre-shaded. If I don't decide on an ace soon, next progress pics will be of this sitting there in RLM76 with a radar on it awaiting mottling and decals.

post-4413-1266048404.jpg

Here's my dilemma; I want this 110G-4 to be outfitted and mottled like this AC here. (I just think this is a classic pic) Fug220d SN-2 with the canted aerials, flame dampners and drop tanks like this, with the shrage-musik. This radar suite came out in October(?) of '44, and they stopped production of the 110 in February of '45.....so I've got a narrow window of time any aces flew this combination.

post-4413-1266049168.jpg

Here's an example. Top pic has earlier radar, but more of the camo I want to do,....bottom has the radar and equipment suite I'm looking for but not the markings. DRAT! Guess I should decide these things before I start? :angry2: ^_^ Was really amazed at the paucity of pics for 110 aces, I thought they'd be a dime a dozen....but I keep seeing the same photos over and over. May have to go with the 'unknown ace pilot' I see pics of,....where there's a soldier standing next to a rudder with kill markings applied but nobody knows who? Jury is still out on this one, but so far I've got it narrowed down to Lt. Werner Barthel (but I haven't found out if he was an ace) or this profile of Oblt. Martin Becker (which isn't my first choice). Hmmmmm, still pondering. Got lots of 110 nightfighter aces to choose from, but very few pics of actual aircraft. Whelp, more pics as things progress and decisions made, eh? Later, Russ

post-4413-1266049615.jpg

Hi Russ,

Though one. I found a Ludwig Becker, 44 kills and sure an ace but KIA on the 26th of Februar 1943. Defenitely the wrong guy.

Martin Becker only this, no picture I am afraid.

http://www.luftwaffe.cz/beckerm.html

You might wana try here for Werner Barthel.

http://www.luftwaffe.cz/index.html

If he was an ace he should be here somewhere.

Found this

http://www.michael-reimer.com/CFS2/CFS2_Pr...waffe_NJG1.html

Scroll down, you'll find Barthel september 1944 Dusseldorf area.

Try your luck here also.

http://books.google.nl/books?id=_AP4QkYQZY...hel&f=false

did a quick look and could only find one kill on a Lancaster in the night of 12/13th August 1944.

That guy is hard too find!!

Rick.

Whoohoo! Whoohoooooo! :lol: My ME-110G impasse has been broken, and it's time to rock & roll on this once again! :punk: Whew, that google book source saved my butt Rick! After checking out all those claims and dates page by page, I discovered Lt. Barthel got his 4th and last victory in Feb. 1945. Gaaaaaaah, no love on that choice. :( But then, I had an epiphany, and everything started coming together. Noticed a name that was vaguely familiar checking out some profiles. Oblt. Rudi Thun of 9./NJG-1. See that AC in post #176 that I wanted to paint mine as? It's from this squadron! Things got REAL interesting when I realized I had met this man(along with Gunther Rall) in 1986, and it clicked that (now) Dr. Rudolf(the name he introduced himself as) Thun was the same guy! He was a Vice-president at Raytheon(a physicist) visiting one their main offices here in San Diego. I got this Monogram book when it first came out in 1986, and it has excerpts and quotes from him on flying the 110 in combat....and he signed the inside cover for me. I found out he passed away the next year in 1987 at the age of 66. Small world?!

post-4413-1266410443.jpg

I've been grinding my way thru EVERY pic of an ME-110G I can find for the last 2 weeks. Weirdly enough, I found some more pics of that AC in post#176 I'm adamant about painting mine like. Found these looking thru some JU-88 pics of 8./NJG-1 after the war at Fritzlar. (This Gruppe never fully transitioned to JU-88's after March '45) EVERY AC I've found in this unit is painted in the 'Gekko blotched' scheme I'm looking for. This pic also confirms that G9+HT also had shrage-musik.

So; I found a unit that was based in Holland, received these 110's in September of '44,(putting me in the sweet spot of my time frame with the then new Fug-220d radar) with the camo I'm looking for, with a pilot that had 5 confirmed (10 claimed he told me) victorys, that I actually met. COOOOL! :punk: All these AC ended up at Fritzlar after the war, which makes perfect sense as it's just across the border after they pulled out of Holland. Also, I just happen to know Oblt. Rudi Thuns code for his AC; G9 + AM.....because he wrote it down for me! Whoohoo! Don't have pics of this particular plane, but I can get VERY close using conjecture and logic. Some different views of those 110's I posted in #176 after they had started being disassembled.

post-4413-1266411838.jpg

Here you can see the shrage-musik in the aft canopy.

post-4413-1266411861.jpg

OK, enough research and boring drivel. Now that I have the info I need, I'm going to be elbows and tail-feathers getting this knocked out! It's all ready for paint tomorrow. Here's some other detail bits that I've been working on in the meantime. Had to scratch build and carve a tail wheel cuz I just couldn't find anything close. Kinda proud of actually getting some hub detail in there. :punk:

post-4413-1266412291.jpg