1/32 Ju 88G-6

Pastor John

Hi Matt,

I know you will do a great job. I would love to see one of the other nose options myself but I really must get on now with the G-1. Have fun, orders have ground to a halt so I hope your build is inspiring!

Hi all, just taken some more pics during daylight hours - might look a little better but nothing to add really but to say thanks for your support and kind words - without those prepaid orders this massive project could not have happened

post-6828-1270223124.jpg

John,

I am in awe of your work.

simply amazing stuff. ;) :rofl: :lol:

now a question:

having also looked on your site, i am a little confused as to exactly what you did in the end for the radar antenna...

could you clarify whether you used 3 different diameters of nickel silver tubing, and if they were from Albion Alloys?

the pictures look like there are 3 different types, but your narrative said it you tried but it didn't work out.

also, how did you cut the pieces you used?

with such fine tolerances involved, i would have thought that merely "snipping" them would leave a slightly turned or burred end which would no longer slip into the next size up etc.

i am not sure i have the modelling skills to do your set justice anyway, but the main thing holding me back is uncertainty about those antenna: i just couldn't face getting everything else done only to find i made a right pig's ear of the antenna.

i have not had great results in the past cutting small tubes of metal...

thanks again for a truly monumental build, and a thoroughly inspiring blog.

kind regards,

Nick

Hi Nick,

Yes I did go for a three stage receiver in the end and basically it is wrong but as I have got the dipoles about 0.2mm too thick it kind of all works out. I ended up using 0.3mm wire that I had inside the Eileens Emporium 0.6mm tube as the 0.4mm from the same supplier struggled to fit inside without milling. I then ended up getting some plastic tube and shaving it down a little but this is really not good enough and I was being a bit lazy which is my fault as I wanted the model finished to help sales. What I should have done was mask off the two ends of the receiver and filler prime the thickest section then carefully remove the masking. This would have given a near perfect scale replica of the receiver in my humble opinion. No I am wrong there - just remembered I have come across an MOD photos with penciled on measurements taken from Ju88G-1 4R+UR - the total length of a receiver is 115cm (35.9mm in 1/32 not 36.9 as per my instructions). These need to be 60cm apart along the dipole (18.7mm in 1/32). Whilst on the subject let me go on to say that on a G-1 aircraft there is a 33.5cm gap between upper and lower dipoles and a 142cm gap across from right hand receivers to left hand receivers. As for the G-1 and G-6 coming back to the matter at hand - half the overall length of the receiver - working from the middle of the dipole is evenly divided into three portions of 19.1cms (5.9mm in 1/32 - making the thickest part 11.8mm overall).

As for cutting I used a cutting disk in my hobby drill. I found that taping the tube to some MDF board with the point of cut being over a pre-cut channel gave the least friction to the job and thus the cleanest cut. Milling out with a drill bit with the said power tool afterwards tidied things up just a bit more.

Thanks for bringing the blog back into the headlines.

John

thanks John for the comprehensive reply

just taken a look at your site again - the C-2 sure looks good on there!

as to future projects, have you considered making a G-10 at the same time, or will that come as part of the Mistel set-up?

all the best,

nick