Trumpeter A-7E corsair, VA-46 Clansmen

blackbetty

here is a comparison shot of the stock canopy (at the right) and the zacto canopy frames that shows how much these are too wide and are responsible for the squashed look when not corrected

i am not bashing trumpeter here, just pointing out some facts. i am very grateful to trumpeter for producing so many interresting subjects in 32nd scale, their F-105G got me into the hobby again. if it wasnt for them i think we would be still glueing together old tool revell zeros, 109s and F4s

post-2020-1255601533.jpg

Hey there Blackbetty

I'm watching closely as I now have my A-7E. I'm a little nervouse about the fit issues.

let me ask you a question as you have studied this angle...the rear end of the machine. :oops:

1. Do you think in "hindsight" that cutting the tailpipe down was worth it for YOU? (This is in NO WAY any criticism of the work your doing)

2. Do you THINK that a larger engine tailpipe would make the fuslage oval look smaller and save the "surgery"?

I just wish that Eduards had made a PE piece for those Gill Slits on the left side of the nose.

Your doing good work here. I know that I'm enjoying watching.

Regards

Steve

thanx håkan

well the rear fuselage modifications are actually not that hard to do, steve. the front is much more work to modify and get looking neat (we will see the endresult on mine)

it think it depends on what you can live with. i have seen nice builds OOB, but for my kit the intake/canopy is just killing me, so i decided to go aftermatket with a lot of things and leaving the rear stock just wouldnt cut it for me. barry also modified his A7 at the rear, maybe you want to take a look at his build, its somewhere in the "in progress" section, he went a different route and widened the vertical cross section if i remember correctly (not that i want to compare my build to his work of art)

a larger tailpipe would throw off the proportions completly IMO

just take a look at as many ref pics as possible and decide for yourself what you want to do

soooo...

i started to fit the IP coaming and found out if you follow the aires instructions (as i did) and cut out the kit coaming to the fuselage sidewalls, you end up with pretty wide gaps left and right of the aires part :angry:

post-2020-1256020387.jpg