Me109 E-1 Arno Zimmermann 7./JG54

nmayhew

hi Gary,

thanks for the comments - yes a lot of the "problems" are self induced, but many are not

Brett never posts a full step by step build - all you see is the nice "here is one i prepared earlier" stuff which, whilst it looks nice, is pretty useless if you are looking for instruction on what to (and not) do...

just my tuppence worth...

as to the rear fuselage, yes good spot - another reason to be wary of CA glue!

by the way this has nothing to do with stuff round the chin area not lining up, as they were glued in completely separate stages

have a i used a mountain of putty?

well, one man's mole hill and all that... :evil_laugh:

the way you mention Frank Crenshaw's build, you would think everything fell together!!

it is his build i am following (although he is waaaaaay better than i am!), and i can assure you that many of the probs / issues (that are mostly easy to overcome) i have highlighted here have come straight from his build...

here is the link, although i don;t know if he is still updating it, or is having a "rest"

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index....howtopic=179259

anyway, i guess the gist of your comments is that i should pay a bit more attention to my build, and i accept that, but i am sorry if you don't think it is useful for you

as i said before, i think the 5 step blogs and "ta-dah" it's suddenly done

a ) defeat the object

b ) aren't that useful for modellers who aren't masters, and who want to learn through common experience

cheers,

nick

PS to re-iterate, i like the kit...

Yup, get your point

Just to say i've started, the wheel well liners: the first i tried to make conform to the plastic, wrong i got the same gap as you, the second i rolled and joined and inserted into the plastic, no gap, time will tell if it fits into the wing.

The oxygen bottle i trimmed and the PE part to suit.

Thats as far as i have got

Hope this helps, (me and you and some others)

Best regards gk

ok update time folks...

this morning i turned my attention to the gun deck and cowling areas

on the plus side, i have already made use of the lovely MasterModel brass MG17s, as supplied to me by JamesH... :)

some issues...

the main cowling does not fit well with the gun deck and engine installed, so i snipped off the two little "bulges" here...

IMG_5846.jpg

i sanded the cowling roof a bit, and also made some corrections to the shape of the cowling gun trough openings (more about that below)

IMG_5851.jpg

i also got rid of the supercharger protrusion, figuring i will add stuff back on afterwards, depending upon what will be visible

IMG_5849.jpg

i also added the "flaps" tp the bottom of the cowling in the closed position - Frank Crenshaw said these were a bit too short and added some plasticard to fill the gap - i found them a bit too small but nothing some glue didn't fill

IMG_5853.jpg

now, the instructions give you the option of cowling on, with "stubs" for the MG17s, or cowling off, and showing the full Monty.

the former does not make use of the cowling seals which "join" the gun barrels to the gun troughs / the cowling itself

you therefore have something which looks like this:

IMG_5856.jpg

which is not really how it should be :)

so what to do???

sooo...

adamant that i was going to use the trough seals as installed on an actual aircraft, i worked out a construction sequence thus, because fitting seals to guns, then guns to gun deck then cowling on top could mean trough openings not lining up with guns/ seals, which would be very difficlut to fix...

so, first fit the seals to cowling (note trough openings had been sanded to match more closely the very shallow angles of the seals)

IMG_5859.jpg

looks a bit wonky but no big deal; then added some liquid putty (ah yes, the putty mountain :) ) to fil the small gaps from the inside, as adding to the outside would be impossible to sand away

IMG_5875.jpg

IMG_5878.jpg

so the cowling plus trough seals looks a bit like this:

IMG_5862.jpg

IMG_5872.jpg

and once the guns are slotted in the trough seals, it looks thus (had trouble getting good shot in right focus, but it's an improvement, trust me!)

IMG_5884.jpg

IMG_5879.jpg

i then sanded away the back of the main cowling and the front of the gun cover cowling, to replicate the "gap" that is present on real 109s - nothing glued yet, just dry fit for illustration - note that if you add the gap you must use full gun barrels / gun deck as that is what will be showing!

IMG_5873.jpg

next will be painting the gun deck and guns etc, and maybe adding the odd wire (i'll see), before gluing everything in place, but that will be for later in the week / next weekend

all comments welcome...

cheers,

Nick

hi guys

some updates after another busy week...

first up, some info on new tools i started using tamiya quick type CA in a dinky little dispenser, and also their diamond file for filiing PE parts - both work very well indeed

the glue comes in a hard case with grips that you squeeze to give decent control, and it has a pin cap to keep the glue from drying out so i like that

IMG_5899.jpg

anyway, i added some wiring to the gun area (interruptor mechanism??) as some of this stuff should be visible after it's buttoned up, then added a wash:

IMG_5902.jpg

test fit to see what i mean...

IMG_5908.jpg

then after a bit of dithering fit the main cowling on with the guns "loose" inside to be glued once the cowling was secure

IMG_5909.jpg

the cowling did not mate cleanly with the lines above the exhaust, and the left side had to be pushed out a bit, which i did using a toothpick (dental hygiene has added benefits!!)

IMG_5910.jpg

the only problem was that i ended up gluing the toothpick to the engine!!

IMG_5912.jpg

i tried to pull it out but could see the plastic crazing so stopped and performed some surgery with my saw...

if you won't tell, i won't!!

IMG_5914.jpg

front view:

IMG_5915.jpg

i then added the other cowling pieces, drilling out the small vent just by the starter crank port:

IMG_5916.jpg

IMG_5918.jpg

i then added the two most ridiculously small PE pieces to the landing gear bays before i forgot them for good:

IMG_5919.jpg

next update soon...

ok, another small update...

time to add the radiator PE parts and their covers

i had read that the PE parts were slightly over-sized, and this did seem to be the case, but not by much

with the right tools this is easy to fix: where they were too long i used my tamiya "snips" (i think they call them "xuron cutters" but not sure - either way they are small and only for small sprue cutting or thin metal), and where they were too high, i glued the part on and then filed the PE until flush with the plastic

this was much easier than having to either cut or file before gluing

i used a tamiya diamon file btw - seems like i am plugging tamiya stuff i know; sadly they are not paying me but their stuff is bloody good

anyway here are some pics:

IMG_5938.jpg

i also used brass tube to better replicate the link between the flaps and the wing: the kit part has a plastic stub ...it looks so-so...

IMG_5928.jpg

but since the gap is quite large, i thought this would add a nice touch...

pic is a bit crap sorry:

IMG_5941.jpg

but shows finished detail ok...

IMG_5939.jpg

i thought about using the PE radiator grills to show more detail but was concerned about them getting bashed about since the plane is still sitting on its belly, and it will be for a quite a while since this is in no way a "speedy" build!

as a reasult, i'm almost certain i would have dented them...

...basically i couldn't be bothered!!! :coolio:

the radiator covers didn't fit that great - test fit before gluing as always - but in the end looks ok:

IMG_5943.jpg

IMG_5942.jpg

elevators and rudder next - i'll try to update again soon as i am concious that this build is rather snail-paced compared to others on here, and i see from the traders' forum that it has even prompted someone to sell their kit!!!!!

:thumbsup:

see you later

Nick

ok, another small update...

time to add the radiator PE parts and their covers

i had read that the PE parts were slightly over-sized, and this did seem to be the case, but not by much

with the right tools this is easy to fix: where they were too long i used my tamiya "snips" (i think they call them "xuron cutters" but not sure - either way they are small and only for small sprue cutting or thin metal), and where they were too high, i glued the part on and then filed the PE until flush with the plastic

this was much easier than having to either cut or file before gluing

i used a tamiya diamon file btw - seems like i am plugging tamiya stuff i know; sadly they are not paying me but their stuff is bloody good

anyway here are some pics:

IMG_5938.jpg

i also used brass tube to better replicate the link between the flaps and the wing: the kit part has a plastic stub ...it looks so-so...

IMG_5928.jpg

but since the gap is quite large, i thought this would add a nice touch...

pic is a bit crap sorry:

IMG_5941.jpg

but shows finished detail ok...

IMG_5939.jpg

i thought about using the PE radiator grills to show more detail but was concerned about them getting bashed about since the plane is still sitting on its belly, and it will be for a quite a while since this is in no way a "speedy" build!

as a reasult, i'm almost certain i would have dented them...

...basically i couldn't be bothered!!! :rolleyes:

the radiator covers didn't fit that great - test fit before gluing as always - but in the end looks ok:

IMG_5943.jpg

IMG_5942.jpg

elevators and rudder next - i'll try to update again soon as i am concious that this build is rather snail-paced compared to others on here, and i see from the traders' forum that it has even prompted someone to sell their kit!!!!!

B)

see you later

Nick

Hi Nick

just to let you know

foot in gob, i got full into my same build, a few probs with the pit, joined the fuse and put it in from below, worked better, had an idea to put the aires engine in, no go so i glued the cowl shut, no fit issues there, the wings don't go together too well, and those wheel well liners are not so good, so you see i'm glad you're doing well with yours, will post a pic when i have the airframe in some kind of order

best regards gk