W German F-104G Starfighter

LSP_K2

At some point after fuselage halves are attached, I intend to add internal fuselage guts and fairing above engine nozzle. I have created a piece that should work for this with some refinement. :)

Kevin

Kevin,

That plasticard looks nice over the exhaust opening but I think you may find the engine nozzle may not get past it.

I filled that 'gap' on mine with blue acryl and had to do a fair bit of sanding and blending to get the exhaust nozzle to clear. There's a bit of a 'step' on yours that could be troublesome. Make sure you test fit to be sure. The opening for the exhaust is a bit deceptive. The radius of the circle actually 'intrudes' into that overhang of the rudder/tailfin.

Jeff

I think I’m becoming “post happy”; is that possible? :) At any rate, work on this puppy continues slowly, but I anticipate a lot getting done tomorrow evening. Wings seem to have some sort of reinforcement where attached to fuselage that is secured with screws, so I’ve drilled out what appeared to be rivets on Hasegawa wings. I think I’ve pretty much decided to forego adding rivets to this particular aircraft.

post-8159-1255109817.jpg

Much to my chagrin, I was correct; gun bay was completely destroyed while removing mislocated wheel well! :angry: This may turn out for the best however, as my whole approach to gun bay construction was ill conceived. Tried to get intake areas painted today, but discovered some flaws that are in need of putty work. Isn’t this hobby fun? :)

post-8159-1255299808.jpg

OK, now we're talking progress, (finally). Intake interiors and splitters have been cleaned up and re-painted using a light grey to black fade to provide an illusion of depth. This is all probably overkill, as very little of intake can actually been seen; better safe than sorry though I suppose. :)

post-8159-1255306125.jpg

Perhaps a tad premature, but I went ahead and painted intake leading areas. It seems that this would much easier to do now rather than later when intakes have been attached. I've used a light grey for the throat color for two basic reasons; 1) I think it's actually supposed to be grey, and 2) I would have painted it this color even if it was supposed to be white, believing white to be way too much of a contrast with the weather beaten appearance this bird is destined to receive. :clap2:

Kevin

post-8159-1255488593.jpg

It might seem that I'm jumping around a lot, but that's only because I'm jumping around a lot! <_< Cylindrical tube of .015 plastic has been inserted into tail and fuselage former/stiffener or whatever it is glued to inside. Excess will be trimmed away when completely dry.

post-8159-1255638831.jpg

.030 square ring is holding can in place temporarily, aligned with centerline of fuselage for this photo. Final position will be further forward when installed. Fairing above engine does not interfere with engine installation as I suspected. Not to worry Jeff. <_<

post-8159-1255638981.jpg

Another view of after fuselage guts and beautiful Aires can. I really like this shot; almost seems a shame to paint it. <_< Fuselage interior seems to be painted some ungodly "baby vomit green"; I'll have to try my best to match this horrid, putrid color. :lol:

Kevin

post-8159-1255639144.jpg