Airfix 1/24th Mustang

Ironwing

This is the net outcome...The door skin itself wasnt to bad to recreate once i figured out the process. Making the door skin doubling piece proved more challenging. It was first done as a full door skin then cut down accodingly

post-1406-1282411212.jpg

I dreaded having to do this. The only alternative to the gear doors in the Airfix kit which, are unusable, are the doors from the Trump kit. They have detail, and are close in size, but they are badly mis-shapen in cross section. When yu look at the doors they look curved overall. They arent. They are straight on the inside. The curved appearance comes from the way the outer skin curves up to match the wing lower surface. This gives the illusion that the door is curved overall.

post-1406-1282411383.jpg

Theyre hanging a bit cockeyed because of the tape. The hing details have to go on along with the door lock mechanism covers. Im just glad this part is done. If I couldnt make these things, the project would have to stop due to lack of a suitable replacement.

post-1406-1282411695.jpg

As noted earlier, if you look at the shape of the gear door in this view, it looks curved. It isnt...its straight. The bend in the outer skin makes it look curved. At the bottom of the door edge there are two openings. These opening faciliate the door lock mechanisms which have yet to be added.

post-1406-1282412074.jpg

The whole idea behind this was to create a Mustang of great accuracy. Asecond priority was to use the aluminum to to make as many parts as possible from it to preserve authenticiity.i must admit I was a bit skeptical of the aluminum up to this point. But, now that the doors are done (theyre matt aluminum on the inside by the way. They arent painted gray) and have mounted for visual puposes I think it will be ok.

post-1406-1282412337.jpg

Im really happy with what I see here.I know it can always be better but Ill take it. The new canopy vac form plug was molded and cast with two part epoxy, and ready for vac forming. The piece in the foreground is the vac form plug. The piece in the rear is the modified Trump kit piece from which the plug was poured.

post-1406-1282413137.jpg

I am deeply impressed Geoff, those doors just look like the real thing. Never before did I see someone making or using metal pressings for a model airplane.

Best regards,

Hans

Hans,

Thanks ever so much for loking in and your kind comment. I hope youre enjoying whats happening here.

Cheers,

Geoff

Geoff,

Great update. That fairing looks right to me. As usual, your work is spot-on and fantastic to watch! Those wheel wells are incredible, man! I cannot believe the level of detail there...Something to aspire to--that's for certain.

Hey James,

Good to hear from you as always. Thanks for looking in. Now I have to figure out how to put this stuff on the SIG :( ...Oh boy.

Hope youre ok Bud...

Best,

Geoff