Kokusai Ki 86 / Kyushu K9W1 Type 2 "Cypress"

Added a few evening hours on this one, but the progress compared to the last update does not look spectacular... :unsure:

After my car-body rattle can painting, I felt overwhlemd by all that "aotake", and besides, I found my poor control on the rattle-can knob had resulted in paint build-ups and "drops" on some tubes (remember the structure is made of 0,040" , 0,035" and 0,025" plastic rods...). so I scraped some excess paint, covered the seats in regular alu and painted all the (very) small knobs-n-things in this cockpit.

I also did the pilots' harnesses. I cut them out of tin foil you can find on the collar of (old) bottles of wine. I had to "sacrifice" ( i.e. empty :P it as it was not presentable anymore) a 1988 vintage Bordeaux for this one ! AH ! the hardness we modelers have sometimes to endure for the sake of our hobby ! :lol: :lol: :lol:

They were cut using a parallel cutting cutter, and painted ochre yellow. The buckles were made of thin wire (found in a fishing shop - fly-tying area) or cut from wider strips of the same tin-foil.

Finally I have done some work, not finished yet, on the IPs. I printed them on ordinary paper glued to thin (0,025") plastic card. I then punched each instrument individually with a punch-n-die set. After removing the guide paper, I had properly punched holes for the instruments. The screw/rivet marks around the instruments were achieved by scoring them with a sharp point in the back of the IP. The IPs were painted silver enamel, and when not compleltely dry, I covered it with enamel tire-black which I tapped rather than brushed, to obtain a slightly granular, irregular, effect like on the orginal panels. I glued on the back of my punched plastic parts, new IPs with instruments, this time printed on high-quality gloss photo paper. The instruments appear recessed behind the the punched plastic parts, just like I wanted ! :P :P (the lighter shade on the left of one IP is a finger mark ...the paint was not yet dry when I manipulated it :angry: ). I now need to touch the "screws" on the face of the IPs with a silver-paint pen, and the magneto switch on the left part of each IP.

The waist straps have been glued on, but not yet the shoulder ones, which stick out of cut-outs in wood panels in the original A/C.

This is where I am standing as of last night. As of this evening, I am off work for three weeks, of which 13 days on a vacation trip. I will take this project back to home from my work-place flat, but I am not sure I can complete both this one and the Hansa before the GB's endline. Well, we'll see !

Back later.

Hubert.

2009_0729AB.jpg

2009_0729AE.jpg

2009_0729AH.jpg

2009_0729AA.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
As per Hubert's request, I've moved this build over here so that we can all continue to enjoy it!

Kev

...and yet I did not move one bit more on this one since September! :coolio: <_<

This GB is a good occasion to regain some momentum !

Thanks for looking.

Hubert.

• 3 months later...