Any P-47 experts out there?

I am looking for P-47M markings for the Hasagawa kit. I've got kit number 08181 P-47M Thunderbolt '56th FG Wolfpack'. I don't particularly like either of the versions offered. I was wondering if the -47M was used by the Air National Guard post war or perhaps, one of the more "regular" P-47 schemes (NMF or OD over gray). Any help is greatly appreciated.

TIA,

Crash

Every single M model went to the 56th FG for the 61st, 62nd, or 63rd squadrons.

61st planes were painted "black" (some sources say very dark "plum" or dark blue) over natural metal. An interesting article about this color can be found here on LSP: http://www.largescaleplanes.com/articles/W...dych_P-47M.html

62nd planes were painted RAF two tone Ocean Grey/ Dark Green over either natural metal or Medium Sea Grey.

63rd planes were two tone blue over natural metal undersides.

Thanks for the link Chris. That is very interesting, but I was hoping to find a more representative P-47 Scheme. I find it hard to believe the -47M didn't hang around after the war. All the info I have fount on the www says it was a great plane. I don't really build WWII planes (ducking for cover), I consider myself a jet guy but I got this kit dirt cheap and just thought it would be a good quick build. If he had a -47D I would have gotten that one but it was the -47M or none. The kit does have a NMF version that looks more like a showbird with a big red and black "ZemkesWolfpack" on the nose (Z-UN #421175).

Sincerely,

Crash

Yeah crazy eh? The N model made the M obsolete given the same basic performance profile but much longer range. After the first run, no more Ms were made, only the wide-wing Ns. They saw extensive NG service though.

You could grab a set of N wings from Jerry Rutman and convert your M perhaps. Many cool schemes in NM for the N out there.

Glad I could be of help.

You can also make a D from the M. The engine that comes in the M kit is more representative of the D engine than the M anyway. As it comes in the kit, you can make a P-47D-27 and later. If you opt for an aftermarket cockpit, any bubbletop D is possible.

Thanks for all the replies. Jeff since I have the cockpit and engine built, it's to late for a trade. Thanks for the offer though. Tim, thanks for the tip. Any recommendations for a cockpit? I think Avionix has one. Once again guys, thanks for the help.

Next time I'll plan a little better. Like I said I don't build WWII stuff. Just thought it would make a quick and easy build to break up a slow spot.

Crash

You could grab a set of N wings from Jerry Rutman and convert your M perhaps. Many cool schemes in NM for the N out there.

Chris,

Gotta ask. Is there anything wrong with Trumpeter's P-47N? I got one of those today for a good price. I WILL build a P-47 in ANG markings, if it costs me every single penny I have. :ph34r:

Any website that lists what ANG units flew which verion of the -47? Pics would be great too.

Crash

Thanks for all the replies. Jeff since I have the cockpit and engine built, it's to late for a trade. Thanks for the offer though. Tim, thanks for the tip. Any recommendations for a cockpit? I think Avionix has one. Once again guys, thanks for the help.

Next time I'll plan a little better. Like I said I don't build WWII stuff. Just thought it would make a quick and easy build to break up a slow spot.

Crash

I recommend the MDC P-47 Cockpit set. I've used the Avionix and was not thrilled with the fit of it into the fuselage. The MDC set, from what I can see, comes with the corrugated AND the flat floors, allowing you to replicate any P-47D Bubbletop.

HTH

Tim

Yep th eMDC one is the one i am going to buy, if you had the trump 47n kit you dont really need the aftermarket cockpit = i dont have a high opinion of the hasegawa cackpit side walls and so dont like em = and the foors are not right depending on which one you want to make.

Montex have just made a great mask for post war ANG p47N thunderbolts = anyone know where to get em....

Ads B)

Chris,

Gotta ask. Is there anything wrong with Trumpeter's P-47N? I got one of those today for a good price. I WILL build a P-47 in ANG markings, if it costs me every single penny I have. :lol:

Any website that lists what ANG units flew which verion of the -47? Pics would be great too.

Crash

I have a list of ANG units that flew the N at home. I can dig it up for you this weekend me'thinks. And no, I don't have anything against the Trumpy N except for the windscreen, which is garbage.

And no, I don't have anything against the Trumpy N except for the windscreen, which is garbage.

Is there a fix? I noticed the Hasagawa kit has two canopies. Can I use one of those to fix the issue?

Crash