Junkers 88 A1 detail photos

They might just be talking about taking it off the base and storing it for protection while on the ground. Seems pretty prone to damage from bumping as unwieldly as it looks!

You are right, this is how i understand this sentence, too. If you don´t fly and use it, store it! Unfortunately this chapter of the manual doesn´t describe the function of the Kuvi. :(

This thread is absolutely fascinating! Thanks to all for the detective work. So, in the A-1 and A-5, the pilot really had no dive-bombing sight---he had to estimate where his bombs would impact. Since there was no STUVI, was there no automatic dive recovery system in the A-1/A-5? The STUVI set the moment of release of the bombs and commenced the pull-out automatically.

the dive bombing sight in the A1-A5 was the revi 12C ;) and it had a atutomatic pull out system..the høhemesser on the instrumentpanel has two dials..one put the wanted level to dive out on and the system does the rest.. the pilot just uses the revi to get on line with the target.

the A1-A5 had a fdifferent kind of autosystem.. all the pilot had to do was pull the dive handle ( the one in the middle of the three handles up front of the sideconsol ) then the system kicked in.. cowlflaps and pitch of propellers and divebreaks all went automatic.. as mentioned above..the pilot just had to preset the altitude he wanted to level out

below is a original schematic for the A1 divebombing system..

post-5311-1234025295.jpg

some claim tha the revi 12C in the Ju 88 is for the canopymounted Mg 15..this is utter b..llshit.. as that is not fixed in any position..it can be locked but then its almost impossible to fire as the trigger is the facing the window inwards away from the bombadier and pilot..

and all Ju 88 pilots i have spoken with all say the same..they divebombed using the revi as a sight !! and there is absolutely no other uses for the Revi 12 in a Ju 88 A1/A5 ;) the stuvi later on made it more easy :) the bombs was released automatic !!

for the C version its another story..there the revi is lined up with all the nosecannons :) but that version dont divebomb ..hehe

Hello together!

After reading a time in this famous board i thought is time to join and register :lol:

About the discusion of the "KuVi" i found a picture that shows the frame fitted in the Nose of a 88..

Here it is

Greetings

Thomas

post-6453-1234042999.jpg

Hello Thomas!

Welcome here in the forum! In your picture the X-frame seems to be stored in the nose, separate from the device it belongs to, which i think to see on the left side. You, too, do not have a clue HOW it works...?

Thomas

Unfortunately no clue.. But i´m looking for.

In the manual D. (Luft) T.7001 of the LotFe 7C you can find something about the KuVi..

It says initiating at Bombrun the pilot have to targeting roughly over the KuVi to bring the plane in direction for the LotFe and the Bombardier at the Lofe make the Rest.. I will translate this part of the Manunal word by word and post it here. A reason to fit the frame in the nose i can´t find.. But i´m searching...

In fact the KuVi and the LotFe seems work together.. How.. that´s to discover...

I´ve translated the parts from the Lotfe manual where about the Kuvi is told..

You may download the Manual to compare it.. Maybe i have translated something wrong :P

Manual Lotfe

On Page 15 it says:

1 B ) Height under 4000 meters

Pilot flies with KuVi respectively over targetspripes on the

canopy (Side-drift setting o degrees) on to the target

On page 18:

2 c) Look ahead 70 to 80 gegrees, target roughly approach over Kuvi

or "Pendular longitudinal Strings"

On page 21

E. Low level attack

The approach made by the pilot over the Kuvi or the targeting stripes on the canopy....

So it seems the Kuvi is a auxiliary aid for the pilot to make a first approach on a target and then the bombardier adopts the target with his Lotfe

But now is to discover how the Kuvi works and what´s the job of the frame.. The frame looks asymetric and may have a plate of plexy or something else..

Guttorm.. In your A1.. can´t you find the "fitting point" for the frame in the nose? maybe this can give a little answer.....

I will look in the nose tomorow when i am at the museum to see if i can find it..i am pretty sure its there as i have seen some strange brakets ( fittingpoints) that i had no idea what was fore :P

so what this means is that the pilot used the kuvi first..the the bombadier took over..and during divebombing the pilot used the revi 12 for lining up with the target :lol: so there we have the answer for straight bombing ( kuvi and bombsight ) and also divebombing