Yellow ringed cowlings on US Navy fighters

wingman777

I've seen plenty of images with F4U's and F6F's of the Bunker Hill wearing yellow ringed cowlings. Did this yellow marking appear on the aircraft of any other carriers such as the Hornet or Randolph? Seems like there would be others but I haven't seen the images to back it up.

To the best of my knowledge only the Bunker Hill (my Dad served on her from her shakedown to the time she shuttled troops back after WW II with Operation Magic Carpet) had the yellow ring. Some a/c had white cowl rings , not sure what ship(s) though. It was for the Tokyo raids only I believe.

Hmmm...like Dan I had always heard it was a quick ID marking for the Tokyo raids. I therefore assumed it was for other aircraft participating also, not just the Bunker Hill, but now that you mention it, I don't think I have ever seen pics or profiles of any other carrier group using them.

Will have to check my references again on this one.

Yellow cowls for the invasion of Okinawa, white cowls for the raids on Tokyo.

There were 40 US Navy carriers (including the Bunker Hill) operating in support of the invasion of Okinawa, all of their aircraft should have had the yellow cowl band. However, I highly doubt they all had the yellow applied.

HTH,

D

Yellow cowls for the invasion of Okinawa, white cowls for the raids on Tokyo.

There were 40 US Navy carriers (including the Bunker Hill) operating in support of the invasion of Okinawa, all of their aircraft should have had the yellow cowl band. However, I highly doubt they all had the yellow applied.

HTH,

D

You should learn something new every day. Thx, I never really thought about this before but it's an interesting tid bit of info.

I stand corrected! Okinawa it is. It's been a rough day!! I still have no recollection of any other carrier having the yellow cowl though.

Dan

My recollection is that yellow cowls were for Okinawa as well! ;)

Cheers,

Doug

I should add that the US Navy was in transition during this period with somewhat rapid changes to tactical and ship ID markings.

And, most of the "40 carriers" supporting Okinawa were Jeep Carriers carrying replacement aircraft that would have had generic markings. These aircraft would likely not have been given ship ID and/or tactical markings during the battle.

There are also images out there of Helldivers and Avengers with the yellow cowls. But, I'm not finding any of aircraft without those familliar Bunker Hill arrows.

D