detail sets for Airfix 1/24 P-51D

mightymax

Hi Guys,

I saw the thread a page or two back about 1/24 detail sets. I also have been around awhile and don't recollect much being available for the 30 year old Airfix 1/24 P-51D. So what is available in afternarket for this old warhorse?

Also any drawings or info on detailing the open holes that are the wheel wells???

Cheers,

Max Bryant

Hi Guys,

I saw the thread a page or two back about 1/24 detail sets. I also have been around awhile and don't recollect much being available for the 30 year old Airfix 1/24 P-51D. So what is available in afternarket for this old warhorse?

Also any drawings or info on detailing the open holes that are the wheel wells???

Cheers,

Max Bryant

Hi Max,

Im sure Tourist will pop in here in response to your question about the wells and after market stuff. Having said this. I would suggest a visit to the P51 SIG. Its free and its membership is populated by some of, if not the most knowledgeable people you will ever find where the Mustang is concerned. You can check my thread here on LSP for wheel well details.

A note of caution which deals with the main spar which forms the aft surface of the well. It runs parallel with the leading edge. It does not follow the the aft edge of the well opening as the kit has supplied it. This fix can also be found in my Mustang build thread. The project is still ongoing. It is built to production standards and not current restoration standards so things might look a little different from what you are accustomed to seeing, but it's correct.

Good luck with your build. The link to the thread is below.Should you have any other questions feel free to ask.

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=16723

Regards,

Geoff

Hi Max,

Im sure Tourist will pop in here in response to your question about the wells and after market stuff. Having said this. I would suggest a visit to the P51 SIG. Its free and its membership is populated by some of, if not the most knowledgeable people you will ever find where the Mustang is concerned. You can check my thread here on LSP for wheel well details.

A note of caution which deals with the main spar which forms the aft surface of the well. It runs parallel with the leading edge. It does not follow the the aft edge of the well opening as the kit has supplied it. This fix can also be found in my Mustang build thread. The project is still ongoing. It is built to production standards and not current restoration standards so things might look a little different from what you are accustomed to seeing, but it's correct.

Good luck with your build. The link to the thread is below.Should you have any other questions feel free to ask.

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=16723

Regards,

Geoff

Thanks Geoff,

I have had (and sold) several MPC/Airfix P-51D's over the years. I just re- acquired one, and decided it might just be time to build it!

Cheers,

Max

I have just acquired one of these myself (MPC) and will be my next adventure as well.

I wonder if anyone can tell me if this kit is similar to the Airfix kit.

The only things that I have been able to find as far as aftermarket for 1/24 Mustangs are the Cockpit Placards available from Squadron.

I plan on correcting the weel wells on this one too, along with a few other things but am looking forward to it as it looks like a fairly good representation of the P-51, other than being old, allot of sink marks and warpage.

Steve

100_2280.JPG

I have just acquired one of these myself (MPC) and will be my next adventure as well.

I wonder if anyone can tell me if this kit is similar to the Airfix kit.

Steve, it's my understanding that this is the Airfix kit, reboxed for the US market by MPC.

Kev

Absolutely correct. MPC eventually, reboxed all the Airfix 1/24 kits and that is an early boxing. I never had that version but the one in the black box.

The only other 1/24 scale P-51D of the same vintage would be the Bandai kit. I have never in my travels layed eyes on that one so can't even say it exists. I do have the Bandai George and Zero. Bandai also did a 1/24 109-E.

Cheers,

Max Bryant

Hi Max,

I have a cockpit, wheelwell, wheels and landing gear resin set for the Airfix 1/24 Mustang mould. I had some piccies on LSP in a discussion thread but just can't locate them for the moment. I picked them up from Ebay from another LSPer.

Apparently they used to be produced by a guy in ??Maine?? who is no longer with us.

My plan was to use them or develop something better from them...although anything Mustangish sure does polarise opinions and emotions.

Cheers Matty