F-18A Hornet

Azgaron

• 3 weeks later...

Got a small package with cockpit and exhaust parts in the mail today! Thanks Blackbetty!

Now I'll try and figure how to work things out, making them fit and all that!

Pics are coming as soon as I got something to show!

Cheers,

Azgaron

With only one computer accepting the camera, SWMBO and three kids it's sometimes hard to get access! :lol:

Anyway, here's a pic of the parts I got!

f-18_hornet_parts_640x480.jpg

Here's a comparasion of the cockpit parts!

f-18_hornet_cockpit_compare_640x480.jpg

There are details on the Revell part but they doesn't show in the pic!

Here's another pic that shows the difference in the detail of the panel behind the pit!

f-18_hornet_cockpit_compare_2_640x480.jpg

With some cutting and sanding, I hope I can make things fit!

Cheers,

Azgaron

As this is the first time I replace kit parts, and the replacement isn't meant for the kit, I'm still trying to figure how to fit some of the parts (cockpit mainly) into the fuse. Meanwhile I made some sub-assemblies!

f-18_hornet_wings_640x480.jpg

f-18_hornet_rear_fuselae_640x480.jpg

The exhaust nozzle is one the parts that needs some attention! First of all I want to use the kits (afterburner something I think) part!

f-18_hornet_exhaust_part_640x548.jpg

But there's a slight problem with the fit!

f-18_hornet_exhaust_test_fit_640x480.jpg

But cutting away the rim and widening the inner diameter a bit will take of that I think! Here's a pic for comparasion!

f-18_hornet_exhaust_part_2_640x480.jpg

The intake looks like this!

f-18_hornet_inlet_640x555.jpg

Somehow I don't think the air gets very far with that intake :rolleyes: So I'm thinking of changin that by cutting it open and prolong the shaft! Can I find somewhere information on how it should look and how far in the fan sits? Measurements too hopefuly! Not that I know if I can do such a thing, but I'd like to try!

Cheers,

Azgaron

That would have been nice, but there's another solution that I didn't think of at first (in fact someone suggested it :rolleyes: ), and that is to make a cover! I guess that's a lot easier!

Cheers,

Azgaron

I found this pic in a walkaround!

Exhaust nozzle

By the looks of this pic and the parts I got, the inner and outer feather sets have about the same lenght/depth, and the thingie at the bottom is further in than it's supposed to be on the model according to Revell!

So I'm thinking that it would look better if I cut away the stop that's supposed to hold the afterburner thingie or whatever it is and add a tube that will push it a bit deeper into the body!

I hope this was somewhat understandable, and I'm sorry for my lack of the correct terminology, but I hardly knows what it's called in Swedish! :lol:

Is there anywhere I can find the measures of the intake? Drawings?

Cheers,

Azgaron

I found this pic in a walkaround!

Exhaust nozzle

By the looks of this pic and the parts I got, the inner and outer feather sets have about the same lenght/depth, and the thingie at the bottom is further in than it's supposed to be on the model according to Revell!

So I'm thinking that it would look better if I cut away the stop that's supposed to hold the afterburner thingie or whatever it is and add a tube that will push it a bit deeper into the body!

I hope this was somewhat understandable, and I'm sorry for my lack of the correct terminology, but I hardly knows what it's called in Swedish! :lol:

Is there anywhere I can find the measures of the intake? Drawings?

Cheers,

Azgaron

yep and making it OOb can be tricky however I have a little trick to make them look a little better. take the outer feather part and sand the inside of it only on the edge so that there's a gap between the inner and outer part and then add some small strips of styrene between the two parts it should look something like this

post-1504-1223136333.jpg

post-1504-1223136427.jpg

when done

post-1504-1223136521.jpg

hope this helps mate

Greetz STB

Frederick Jacobs

Thanks Frederick!

That's a very neat trick that I'll apply! I can also se on your pics that I was correct, that there is something between the feathers and the bottom!

Doing something that looks like that can be tricky, but perhaps I can do a good lookalike! Can you provide me with the diameter and depth measures?

Cheers,

Azgaron

Thanks Frederick!

That's a very neat trick that I'll apply! I can also se on your pics that I was correct, that there is something between the feathers and the bottom!

Doing something that looks like that can be tricky, but perhaps I can do a good lookalike! Can you provide me with the diameter and depth measures?

Cheers,

Azgaron

yeah the exhaust pipe is 2cm in diameter and its about 2.5 cm to the flame holder HTH

as far as the intakes concerned if you're not going to use the seamless set you're in for a big job. I tried it and its one hell of a job to get it looking ok, I'm adding FOD covers on mine next time I'll try it again untill it works its just that the intakes are so narrow its hard to sand them and also the curves inside are not realy making it easier :rolleyes:

but he its your model mate :rolleyes:

Greetz STB

Frederick Jacobs

Thanks Frederick!

Ok, then I can at least try to make the exhaust pipe!

I'll see what I'll do about the intakes, but ofcourse FOD is the easiest, and perhaps nicest option!

Cheers,

Azgaron

Well, here's my attempt at spicing up the nozzles a bit! :)

f-18_hornet_modified_nozzles_640x480.jpg

Strangely it isn't until now I noticed that the outer nozzle parts have different looks on their feathers! Are there two sets with the Academy kit?

I also been trying to make a suitable tube that will be used as the missing piece of exhaust pipe!

Cheers,

Azgaron