This Japanese Lady named Kate

Loic

and now the bottom with the wheel wells kind of completed appart from plumbing (that will come later) and the LG leg fitting/axle (I will need to add that before I skin the leading edge)....

post-3547-1227821800.jpg

I finally started the skinning process but have not done much yet :P

Here are 2 pics showing were I stand tonight.

Hope you like it and thanks for the expressed interest and for following.

Cheers,

Loic

post-3547-1227822854.jpg

Hurrraaayyyy!! :) Getting this centre-section to the point of dry fitting and mock-up stage is a HUGE milestone! I can only imagine how many times you had to take all those pieces off/on and test fit to get everything square and true. Excellent effort! B) You can really see the lines of 'Miss Kate' in those dry-fit pics.

Are you building up the centre-section skin with a laminate of 2 layers, or just one? Curious, cause I'm going to be doing the 'laminate' skin on the pancake soon and want to see how well it works out for you.

Looking at those plans, the wing filet looks pretty tricky and huge. Can't recall what Loic technique you used to do this on the Tempest, but have you decided to do these in styrene or putty? Did you ever get any pics/info on the wheel-wells to help you detail them out? I know this AC is a toughie to find any detailed information on, making this build effort even more amazing. :P

Excellent thread, dude! 'Katie' has a good foundation to build onto now, and I can't wait to see more progress pics! Whoohoo, this is just like the 'good ole days' of the RAF GB where we traded posts back-forth until we got finished. Love it!! :lol: Going to be dusting off the pancake in about a week somewhat so we can get back to having a 'scratch-built festival' of sorts going on here again. he he. Go-go-goooo, Loooic!

Loic,

She is Looking amazing, like a Cuban girl in a thong, so worthy of a song, But in Cuban her name would be "Katia". In my own weird way, I just meant your "Kate" is looking great. The best to you on your build.

Peace,

Alfonso

Hey guys,

Kev, Alfonso, Blackbetty,

thanks a lot for the kind words.

So you guys think it does look easy... you are right, it is not that complicated indeed.

I have a motto I call the "5P rule" that helps me doing such work: "Perfect Planning Prevent Pathetic Performance..." :)

In other words:

- try to think in advance about how you are going to tackle a task before you actually start it (eventually take 1 major task and divide it in several easier task)

- once you have a "plan", pay a lot of attention in the preparation stage (carrefully cut every bits and pieces, etc...)

- then make as many try out, dry fit, adjustment as necessary

- tackle the task step by step, do not try to finish it before you even started

Then, there is nothing complicated, it is just a matter of how you organise the job I guess.

Russ,

you are right, I miss that good ol' time RAF GB, that was fun.

I will work the skinning out several layer of styren, not just one. I apply a 0,5mm thick layer as a "base" and then add at least an other layer of 0,5mm or eventually combinations like 2 of 0,25mm or 1 of 0,1 plus 1 of 0,5, etc... trying to get the appropriate wing thickness to match the other part of the wing. At the end, it needs to be very slightly bigger than the outter wing so a gentle sanding action will hopefully make the 2 parts of the wing to meet flush.

As far as the wing/fuselage fillet is concerned, I did use putty on the Tempest but I will give styren a chance this time as I find it easier to scribbe.

Finally, I had good support from some LSP buddies on the references quest. I would not have managed to get here without their help so this gives me an other opportunity to thank them.

Be back later this weekend.

Cheers,

Loic

Hey Blackbetty,

I think I did understand your words well and I was honnest (no irony) when I say it is NOT that complicated.

Wether it is difficult or not mainly depend on one approach to tackle the job.

Cheers,

Loic

Hello everybody!

thanks Kagemusha. I think you can feel relaxed, there is still an incredible amount of work to do in this bird!

This said, I managed to make significant progress yesterday evening and today so I thought I should share some pics :lol:

I basicly did continue my skining process moving to the leading edge this time. The basic process is still the same (laminated styren sheets) and the pics are still quite bad :lol:

From the top first...

post-3547-1227997472.jpg