Ok, second stab at the SBD-5

Sabre F-86

Actually, I kicked myself in the butt a few hours ago and dug it out once more. Painted up the engine, and finished priming all the main surfaces for more scribing. Filled in a few glitches, and figured out how to do the leading edge slots. I need to box them in somehow, forgot to do that while building them. Anyway, I'm going to keep muddling along. I will get it done, just don't ask which century. :rolleyes:

I'm working both the SBD and the UH-1D at the same time, Seems I can get more done in a given period that way.

Sabre

Even better! I almost always have more than one going so I can turn away from one when I need to. Show us some piccies soon!

• 3 weeks later...

Better late than never:

107-0773_IMG.jpg

Heres the port aileron, it and the stbd side just need a bit of cleaning up.

107-0772_IMG.jpg

Both tail planes, a bit of sanding and ready to be painted. I'll pose them afterwards.

107-0771_IMG.jpg

Preliminary work on the cockpit floor, seat and insturment panel. Fiddly little things, half of it. GRRRR.

107-0770_IMG.jpg

The engine, painted and washed with dark oil wash. Not great but it'll do. Prop still needs some contouring, but its getting there. Looks better than the original version. Longer and finer.

Anyway, I doubt I'll get this done in time, (Story of my life) but reality is biting me in the butt a lot lately.

Sabre

Hey Sabre,

I'm glad to see this one getting some attention! The PE in the office makes a really big difference.

If you'd like I can move this into the Member Builds area? That should help make sure that lots of people still follow the thread since this GB is over....

Let me know...

Hey Sabre,

I'm glad to see this one getting some attention! The PE in the office makes a really big difference.

If you'd like I can move this into the Member Builds area? That should help make sure that lots of people still follow the thread since this GB is over....

Let me know...

Might as well do so Dave, this has to be (I think) the longest build I've ever done. A bit at a time until its done is all I can say.

Tks

Sabre

Might as well do so Dave, this has to be (I think) the longest build I've ever done. A bit at a time until its done is all I can say.

Tks

Sabre

The most important thing is that you keep plugging away at it. I really like where you're taking it and it should look great when you're finished.

Thanks for the encouragement. I'll have another go at it next days off. Maybe get some more pics. Too much stuff going on at work, keeps me bummed out. We are looking at a long nasty strike in the next month or so, n everyones getting depressed about it. Myself included. :( I can weather it for a month or so, but then its off to the temp shop for a job shoveling crap or something. ;)

Sabre

• 3 weeks later...

Been plugging along slowly, and the cockpit is coming together as more and more of the fiddly bits get bent to shape and stuck in place. Seems Eduard didn't want to do the full rear cockpit, so they made up the canvas cover that goes behind the radios and covers a lot of the detail at the forward end of the rear pit. Ok. Its canvas with zippers. Im going to stick some tissue paper to the brass, and maybe a flat strip of paper to add a bit of relief to the zipper areas. So far so good.

I just discovered that the port side upper slot is out of whack by about an 1/8 of an inch. I couldn't figure out why my bits of tin wouldn't fit on that side while I was making up the slots themselves. So I measure it and sure enought its off. So I've cut out the slot, and am moving it forward into the proper position, then rescribing the panel line so its right. I'm also trying to make the wheel well look more like it should, hard part is coming up with a 1/4 inch radius fillet around the back half. I keep trying to build it up in putty, but thats a long process.

More pics later.

Oh yeh, the strike vote was 88.7% in favor of rejecting the last offer so things are "kinda" tense at work. We swear we will not walk, and the company swears that was the last offer, so what happens now is anyones guess. I suspect they will lock us out soon. They figure on saving $21.6 mil a week in wages if we go, but the cost in customers is going to be pretty bad.

Sabre

• 1 month later...

Got a bit more done in the last few days, radiused the landing gear well with milliput (man that is nice stuff for this kinda work) and got the upper wing slot moved, and am now working on evening out the slot. Very fine sanding with very thin sanding sticks. Tedious but it will look like new very shortly. Got a coat of paint on the propellor, and will be adding some bolts to the hub next.

Pics later. Right now I'm spending a lot of time on my big project:

107-0794_IMG.jpg

Just spent the last week and a half getting her polished up and ready for launch. Now I'm dealing with a busted furling gear and a fuel leak. That thumping noise you hear is me bouncing my head off the wall. :rolleyes:

Sabre

• 6 months later...

Yeh, I dug the parts box out from under my desk last week. I've been working on the wheel wells. Trying to make them look a bit more like the real deal, and have the base radius done with epoxy putty. But its not even so I'm working out how to make a radiused sanding ball about 3/8ths of an inch in diameter to allow a decent sanding job on the putty. I am planning on making a ball of epoxy putty and rolling it out to the diameter I need. Once its the right diameter I'll put it on a dowel and then give it a coat of CA. I have a box of 220 grit Aluminum oxide sand blasting medium from working on my boat and I'm going to roll the ball around in it. If it works I'll have a nice sanding tool and the wells will look fine.

That slot on the port side wing has been moved, and its just about finished. A bit more fine sanding and the wing will be ready to prime.

I've decided not to bother making up new flaps so the kit parts will have some detail added. The hole count will be off but whos going to notice?

Sabre

• 1 month later...
Ok, Im never going to join a group build again. This is the third time and its still progressing at a snails pace.

My apologies gentlemen, It will get finished but I have no idea when.

Sabre

This one goes 'till mid-February.. No worries mate! Do what you can, when you can. Our GB's weren't designed to add pressure to anyone, just to help us all enjoy the community vibe. Please don't apologize! If you do, then I'll have to start apologizing for all the ones I haven't finished, and I'm the guy supposed to be 'leading by example' on these things!