Count me in - P51B Mustang - Red Tail: FINISHED

Adrian A.

This next pic, # 7, is of the cockpit with silver pencil 'chipping' added. it didn't come out as well as I had hoped. I guess I should have applied the chipping before I gave it two coats of Future for the wash.

Adrian A.

post-177-1167879879.jpg

The last pic for tonight is of the first pass of paint on the wheel wells. I'll be adding a few wires & maybe try my hand at scratching some other details like the door actuators, etc.

Thanks for looking!!

Adrian A.

Pic # 9 is of the cockpit installed temporarily. I didn't glue it as I noticed the cockpit floor must have kicked the top of the right sidewall out, I'll have to fix it before I glue the cockpit in tomorrow.

Adrian A.

post-177-1167880927.jpg

Thanks Allok, I appreciate it. I'm sill in the hand painting stages on the smaller assemblies & sub-assemblies. I'm getting better with the rattle cans for the exteriors, I'll be experimenting with six seperate aluminum/chrome spray paints for 'Ina's' NMF. I'm going to try to segment the different panels, gunbay doors, exhaust areas, etc. with different shades.

I'll be trying to learn a few things while I'm having fun with this build.

I haven't quite mastered (in any stretch of the word) my airbrush yet, so I'll just let it sit this one out.

Bekim, that's a nice Tuskegee Mustang, looks great on that diorama base too. I was eventually hoping to put 'Ina' on a base also. Where did you get the PSP from? I'd like to get me a few sheets of it for my diorama.

I don't have any build shots tonight, but I've got a couple of pics of a P51C restored as 'Ina'. In order to make sure I didn't violate any copyrights, I've tried to check to make sure I give the correct credits. These shots are some I had downloaded for my own use to aid me in my build some time back & does not list any credits on them.

I think they came from the Mustangsmustangs.com site but they are not there anymore. The credits listed at the website are for the following photographers - These pics could be from any one of them - Bill Schuerman, Curtis Fowles, Dave Hackett, Ken Dawson, or Tom Smith. If I've left out the correct one, please let me know & I'll give the photo the proper credit.

The first shot is a profile shot of a restored P51C in the markings of 'Ina the Macon Belle' the mount of Lee 'Buddy' Archer, the Tuskegee Airmen's only confirmed Ace.

Adrian A.

post-177-1167971434.jpg

Pic # 2 is one of my favorite pics that I've downloaded of 'Ina'

Again, I'm not sure of the copyright on this one either, it could be one of the photographers listed in the post above. If it's not, I'd really like to find out who took the photo & to see if he has any more of Mr. Archer.

Hope you enjoy the pics.

This pic is of Lee Archer in front of the restored 'Ina' - I think it's a great shot!!

Adrian A.

post-177-1167971771.jpg

Hi Guy's,

I got a chance to do a little work on 'Ina' tonight. I mostly did a few small things, some of which took a bit more time than I had thought.

You can really tell the molds are getting old on this kit, quite a bit of flash, especially around the landing gear.

I also find it amazing at the sheer number of injection pin marks, some of which are going to be a pain to TRY to fix.

Anyway, I started the night working on the tail-planes, these took quite a bit of fitting & sanding. I still have a little filling & sanding but I'm pretty pleased at how close I got it to fit.

Adrian A.

post-177-1168057733.jpg

Next, I worked on the landing gear for a while.

I've built this kit at least 3 times (in one boxing or another) in my youth, & the Beeson repop was the first kit I built when I returned to modeling in 1999 or so.

One thing I can say about the landing gear for this kit is it's not very good, it has always failed - especially the fragile tail-wheel.

I have a set of Rutman metal landing gear but those are a no-no, so it's OOB parts. (I'll save those for my 'Ding Hao' build also).

I spent about 30 minutes or so on the gear & have put the first coat of paint on it. It'll get a brakeline & a wash before it's all over.

Adrian A.

post-177-1168058388.jpg

I next started on the wheels.

I've got a couple of set of the 'True Details' resin wheels & started with a first coat on them.

I'll have to go with the kit tail-wheel though, and it ain't too good.

Adrian A.

post-177-1168058588.jpg

One thing I forgot to add to my previous post -

Other than a pin vise, are there any other ways of drilling the hole for the L/G shaft without a drill-press?

And, what is the best way to insure it's drilled straight? A jig maybe?

Any help on this one would be great.

Next I worked on screening off the doghouse duct. I used a fine mesh brass screen & mounted it inside.

The only problem is it's REALLY hard to see in there (or it could be my eyesight!)

I couldn't get a decent pic of it installed in the doghouse but this shot shows how fine this screen is. I hope it's clear enough anyway!

Adrian A.

post-177-1168059028.jpg