Count me in - P51B Mustang - Red Tail: FINISHED

Adrian A.

Mate, you're doing really well, and leaving me a heap of sign posts.

Keep it up.

I cut the flaps off mine last night and immediately regretted it!

I loved your gun work by the way. I'm off to Bunning's (huge Aussie hardware chain) tonight for a tube cutter.

Well done, Adrian.

Ian

Thanks for the comments Ian.

I decided early on not to drop the flaps on 'Ina'. I had considered it but it was one of those thing I was just not quite ready to jump into - more of a time factor than anything. I try to work on 'Ina' a little every night & like tonight, just didn't get much done.

And, what I did get done I had to wind up doing over - the seams on th doghouse scoop & wing/cowl area.

one of the only things I did besides working on the seams was to start running a few wires in the wheel-wells just to busy it up a bit.

Adrian A.

post-177-1169182348.jpg

I'll be adding a couple more wire, hydraulic (?) door closers & a maybe something else to add some interest to the wheel wells.

I also worked on the doors a bit & wound up pooching them - can you believe 3 injector pin marks on each door?! What were they thinking?

Anyway, I've got a couple other Mustang in the stash to rob parts from so it's not that big a deal other than the lost time - but, I'm having fun AND I'm building!!

This pic is of the doors - they don't look to bad, but I figure I'm trying to draw attention to the wheels & wheel wells so why ruin the look with sub-standard doors.

I also finished trimming one of the Verlinden guns but was able to get a clear pic to post - maybe tomorrow with a coat of paint on it & fresh set of batteries for the camera.

Thanks for looking!

Adrian A.

post-177-1169183426.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guy's,

I finally got back to building 'Ina' again last night & tonight.

I haven't gotten a whole lot done but at least I'm back to plugging away at it.

This first shot is of a trimmed Verlinden machine gun with the Aber PE cover.

I'll put a coat of paint on it tomorrow & try to mount it in the gunbay tomorrow - at least that's the plan anyway.

Adrian A.

post-177-1170304111.jpg

This next shot is of the reworked gunbay. I just had to 'fix' the crooked 'rib' visible in other shots - it was driving me nuts. So, I just took my best shot at repairing it as it 's just too late to make another one (I guess I should have done that in the first place!). At least it's better than it was!!

Now, I'll have to put another wash in it to 'dirty' it up a bit again.

Adrian A.

post-177-1170304605.jpg

This next pic is of the gunbay doors. I've finished them about as much as I'm able too & put a coat of paint on them. I'll add a wash to these in the next few days.

I've tried to add the hinge to the main door (at least part of it) & I'm hoping the wash brings out the detail work I've done on the hinge to make it a little more realistic. I'll also add the wire support after it mounted on the wing.

My scratch-building skills aren't all that great but I figure the more I do the better it'll get (I hope anyway!!)

Adrian A.

post-177-1170305003.jpg

I also did a little work on the landing gear main door 'actuators' / hydraulic closers or whatever they were actually called.

I'll trim these up as they are installed, I made them long enough to be able to make a few mistakes & be able to get away with it without redoing it. Well, that's the plan anyway!!

I'm not exactly sure of the placement, although I've got a few reference shots that should get me pretty close when the time comes to mount them.

Thanks for looking!

Adrian A.

post-177-1170305411.jpg

I managed to get a little work done on 'Ina' tonight after I got my butt kicked at Monopoly.

I worked on the main components of the gunbay trying to get them ready to install this weekend.

I double coated the gunbay doors/covers with Future & painted the Verlinden M.G.'s with an acrylic gunmetal. The P.E. receivers (?) of the guns got a cleaning & a dip in a metal bluing solution - I'm not quite satisfied with the result, I'll probably redo those tomorrow.

I kinda cheated on the ammo feed chutes by using the Hasegawa ones. I cut & sanded the molded rounds off & will be replacing them with the Aber P.E. ammo belts.

I also painted the P.E. ammo belts tracer rounds every 5th cartridge - I don't know if that's correct but I think it's pretty close. I'll be doing the regular rounds with a steel enamel tomorrow.

I have a question on the ammo belts link color - any help on this would be appreciated. I was thinking on painting them steel also but I though that perhaps they were brass??

Thanks for looking!!

Adrian A.

post-177-1170480632.jpg

Hi Guy's,

I managed to get a little bit done on 'Ina' this weekend. It's not as much as I had hoped but I did get the gunbay nearly finished.

I've found that it's amazing how far P.E. pieces can fly with just the littlest of movement. Or am I the only one whose experienced launching P.E. pieces never to be found again?

Anyway, as I said I did manage to get the gunbay nearly finished - I'll be waiting for everything to dry & set well before I attempt anything else. I've already managed to knock several pieces of the P.E. ammo belts from the feeds & had to redo it.

Thanks for looking.

Adrian A.

post-177-1170638516.jpg

I also did a wash on the gunbay covers. I'm hoping to add some misc. pieces of P.E. to the main door to simulate the opening fasteners.

Once completed I'll put them aside & add them to the model after finishing the paint job.

Adrian A.

post-177-1170639024.jpg

Thanks Brian & Mango - I really appreciate the comments!

I've been working on 'Ina' quite a bit over the past few days but really don't have much to show for it.

I started sanding the panels with 1000 grit sandpaper & it has taken me quite a while. It was a bigger job than I had expected. I probably could have sanded & rescribed the plane in the time it took me to sand all those itty bitty panels (except I really don't know exactly how to rescribe as I've never attempted it before - maybe next time!)

I'm hoping to spray the 'primer' of gloss black on this weekend. I'm hoping the gloss will smooth the surface a bit.

Adrian A.

post-177-1170992677.jpg

I'll be touching up the sanding job with 1500 / 2000 grit sandpaper over the next few days to get it a bit smoother & a little closer to the raised detail. I'm hoping for a decent effect in spite of the raised rivets but unless I pooch it completely, I'll be satisfied with it for now.

Adrian A.

post-177-1170993006.jpg