Trumpeter 1/24 Bf109G6-Y

ChrisS

David,

All G models had that fuel line in the office. I have some thin clear rod, but I had to heat/streatch it a bit with a candle to get it a bit thinner :)

Thanks for the notes...I'll post some shots of the scratched Trop filter this weekend.

Cheers~

Chris, looks good! Have you thought about getting one of those big a** horse pills? You know the swallowable type, just dip in future, the cut the tip off, split it in half and mount in the open position. I used to use these pills (either from pharmacy or home remedie) to make all sorts of flies, and wings when I used to fly fish.....

Cheers

Al

hey chris here are a few things to try.

make a mini lathe.

1st do you have a multi speed dremal tool?

2nd take a small steel or brass rod. pick one that will be fairly thick, but still thin enough to fit in the dremal. cut it so its about three inches long.

3rd there are 2 matereals you can use. I prefer sculpy it is a polymer clay that can be baked in an oven. the other is a jewlers wax.

4th if you use the sculpy take out enough to create the shape of the filter and extra to carve off.

5th form the sculpy into a small cylinder, about the size of the filter. now flatten the cylinder and put a few drops of super glue on the rod and wrap the sculpy around it.

6th ok now bake the sculpy and after its cool place the rod end back into the dremel. now take a strong sharp knife and a file or even sand paper and turn on the dremel to its lowest setting and begin to shape the filter.

7th if the filter is in the closed position you can use the actual sculpy filter. if it is in the open position you may have to make a mold.

it sounds weird but it works very well. this is how i make the blanks for some jewlery and various other metal parts.

if you have any questions let me know.

I re-worked the 1/32 500lb bomb with the dremel last night. I know why I was having such a bad time...I was getting the shape all wrong.

These clamshell doors don't make a 1/2 sphere (when closed)...they're more like a 1/3 sphere, so they have a very distinctive shape.

I had been under the spell of thinking they formed a 1/2 sphere when closed (to cover the mouth of the intake), and nothing I did in that regard was looking right at all. Now I've dremeled down the shape a bit, and I think the bomb tip is going to work fine. I'll post a pic later today hopefully.

Cheers, and thanks for all the ideas.

Finally settled on a heavily dremeled 500 pounder from a 1/32 Revell T-Bolt for the clamshell doors. Lots of grinding etc. Sheet styrene for the rest of the mechanism, and some gap filler to "blend" the spine along the center of the doors. Also took the moment to stretch some sprue for the spine of the intake itself.

Not the greatest work of all time, but under some paint it'll be fine <_<

post-4-1076892320.jpg

Chris,

Sure looks pretty darn good to me! <_< As a matter of fact, I have to wonder if Rodney Williams himself, could have done any better!

That fact that it took you about a week to satify yourself with the work on your trop filter shows your attention to detail.

I just hope I can make my G-6 look that good "whenever" I can get around to building it! Keep posting us, I certainly enjoy the pics.

David

Hi Chris, I did the same thing recreating the seam spine on the

intake itself after buggering up the kit part on my 1/32 scaler.

Wondered why Hasegawa put the spue gates right there???

After attaching the the spine I blended it in with what I call my

Mr. Surfacer bath. I have a 70/30 mix of Mr. Color Thinner/

Mr. Surfacer 500 in a little jar and I dip the part in it to fill

certain areas then rework it when dry, with a Q-tip dipped

in 91% alcohol.

Mike

a

b

e

n

...works pretty well.