Echelon Lightning to build or not to build?

keith in the uk

Having just about finished my Revell Hawker Hunter i now have the jet bug.

I have in my stash the Echelon Lightning kit together with the Flightpath detail set which when built would

look pretty cool next to my Hunter. Judging by the high price this kit seems to be fetching i am wondering

wether to build this kit or keep it for posterity. What do you think guys? build it or keep it? :)

Got one also!!

Same dilemma!!I think I will wait for a while....there is rumour about Trumpeter working on one!!

I it is right...I will work on it (if there another one on the market ..Trump. and Echelon. the value of the Echelon will drop drastically!!)

I got it ready...Echelon and flightpath aftermarket!!!

But I would love to see a Trumpeter one!! :)

Build it as a tribute to Mr. Brown's ingenuity - and generosity (his profit margin was next to nothing if anything) AND do it before Trumpeter, or whomever, puts it out and makes the kit worthless as an heirloom!!

Thanks guys. Im gonna build it and be dammed. I have a feeling that if i do build it Trumpeter will produce a

nice injection molded kit just as i finish it , its sods law , also the sheer number of new kits coming out means

its only a matter of time before we get a 32nd Lightning and whoever dose i am sure will be on a winner

in terms of sales. :D

Build it! That should guarantee the Trumpeter release! I sold mine years ago for a handsome profit. I did the same with my Aeroclub 1/48 Vulcan. I regret both those stupid moves! I've seen three Lightnings built up here in the States at various shows. It does build up very nicely!

Kent

Check the Flightpath missiles; I don't know if they were corrected, but the originals were about a scale foot short; Frank's are correct. The other problem is that the weight tends to pull mounts down, and out of shape. If you decide not to fit missiles, remove the "prongs," on the mountings. These were the nitrogen bottles, and actually went on the missiles.

Edgar

Keith,

Just to add to Edgar's comments, which are correct, if you elect to leave the missiles off, the nitrogen pipe coupling refereed to on the ends of the pylons were faired over with a wooden streamlined fairing (similar to clipped Spitfire wingtips). BTW, I would make it, it's a brilliant kit by all accounts.

HTH

Derek

Check the Flightpath missiles; I don't know if they were corrected, but the originals were about a scale foot short; Frank's are correct. The other problem is that the weight tends to pull mounts down, and out of shape. If you decide not to fit missiles, remove the "prongs," on the mountings. These were the nitrogen bottles, and actually went on the missiles.

Edgar

Edgar

I have the Flight Path set. The missiles in mine, 2000 vinage are the same length as the vacuform kit. UI had a bit of trouble with the cockpit PE set. I could not get mine to fit. I managed to use most of it but used the kits tub as the starting point.

Rick

Edgar

Hi Edgar, Ted Taylor also warned me about the Flightpath resin missiles - I'm using the Red Tops on my F6 and I can confirm that they are exactly the same size as the original vac-form ones.

An added comment regarding the Flightpath set - and I am a fan of these, and am appreciatieve of the range and David's help......BUT I fear that this set is scaled up from the 1/48th set which was designed for the Airfix kit - and doesn't really fit - particularly regarding the wind-dcreen framing. The etched metal is also nickel silver and is incredibly hard to bend into shape. The canopy parts are exquisitely produced - but I for one couldn't use them - because they are so un-maleable !!

The crew access ladder will be a god-send though! Some serious lamination

required there!!

Here's a picture with a pair of Hunters (in 1/48th and 1/72) to give scale

100_4403.jpg

I hope to add some progress pictures of the F6 over the next week or three. I'm not 100% convinced on the "metal" finish - mainly due to my re-doing the panel lines - so I may revert to plan "b" - and finish her in camouflaged 5 Sqn scheme! I can leave the metal Lightnings for the Trumpeter extavaganza!!!

Keith, if you get stumped by the exhaust, on the port side, under the fin (I couldn't find a plastic drinking straw big enough,) I found that a small piece of paper, rolled into a tube, slid into the hole, at the right downward angle, then soaked in the thinnest super glue, converted itself into ultra-thin plasticard. (5thou card just shattered, when I applied adhesive.) It's easy to finish it off, with a sharp blade, afterwards.

Edgar