Eagleston's P-47D

Big Chudy

Hasegawa supplied Two Skull and crossbones embelms for the 354th - i think that you only need the one on the Port side

The eagle ("Feeble Eagle") was on the port side only - as was the skull and crossbones -

FTcd6EAGLErs.JPG

eagleston3.jpg

There were many variations in the 353rd - while most do some kites in this unit have no black cowlings, and some dont even have the skull and crossbones and have just a yellow nose and black cowling flaps.

"FT-K" has the emblem

FT3.jpg

i have a pic of the one of the other plane in that squadron FT-Z to show this. "big Jake " did not have skull and crossbones at all

FTcd2rs.JPG

Neither did "FT-S"

FTcdrs.JPG

Unless i am wrong which has been known to happen

Ads

Edited by Ads

I can´t remember exactly and not 100% sure, but I think there is one picture also from right side with Skull in book "Aces and Wingman" ( can´t remember book part I or part II)

Maybe someone here has the book by his hand and can look there.

Pavel

Edited by Pavel

Maybe someone here has the book by his hand and can look there.

Your memory is truly amazing, Pavel:

IIv2p161-1024x571.jpg

The cockpit air intake in the leading edge of the starboard wing confirms that this photo's negative wasn't merely reversed during printing. Thus, we now have hard evidence that Major Eagleston's aircraft really did have the unit marking on both sides of its cowl. Well done, Pavel!

Charles Metz

Yes well done pavel

But is this photo of Eaglestones plane ? - it says the photo came from him but not that it was of HIS plane - is there another pic with the whole plane in frame to confirm it ?

i think it would LOOK better if it had two !

Ads

Yes well done pavel

But is this photo of Eaglestones plane ? - it says the photo came from him but not that it was of HIS plane - is there another pic with the whole plane in frame to confirm it ?

i think it would LOOK better if it had two !

Ads

Ads, Iam sorry but there isn´t any other picture with Skull on right side. There i another one with close up of Eagleston´s Eagle. Anoter right side picture of FT*H aircraft after crash. This one have no skull on right cowling.

Charles lead me to find this book in my stash right now after several ywaers. I am soory I can´t to upload pictures here. Maybe Charles will do.

Pavel

Hi guys,

Given we seem to have the P-47 brains trust in on this thread, can I ask if anyone has any pictures (preferred) or profiles of any P-47s that might have been stationed at Staplehurst ALG in 1944 prior to D-Day (or other ALGs in Kent??).

Staplehurst is just 4 miles from me, and I know the people of the village organised for a US vet to come back over last summer for the unveiling of a commemorative plaque, but i'm not sure if they only flew P-51s now i come to think about it...oh well.

Anyway, I know it's a long shot as 8th AF 'bolts and 'stangs seem to grab all the glory, but you don't know until you ask!

Cheers

Nick

Edited by nmayhew

Hi guys,

Given we seem to have the P-47 brains trust in on this thread, can I ask if anyone has any pictures (preferred) or profiles of any P-47s that might have been stationed at Staplehurst ALG in 1944 prior to D-Day (or other ALGs in Kent??).

Staplehurst is just 4 miles from me, and I know the people of the village organised for a US vet to come back over last summer for the unveiling of a commemorative plaque, but i'm not sure if they only flew P-51s now i come to think about it...oh well.

Anyway, I know it's a long shot as 8th AF 'bolts and 'stangs seem to grab all the glory, but you don't know until you ask!

Cheers

Nick

Hey Nick !

The P-47s of the 354th FG and all three squadrons it was comprised of was transferred to the P-47 while on the European Continent and flew thier first mission on the 26th of November 1944 at Rosieres-en-Haye (A98) They didnt run from England in Thunderbolts unfortunitely.

They used the thunderbolt till February when they simply parked thier P-47's in a quiet part of the airfield and continued ops in new P-51s on Feb 16th 1945. - what a waste!

They are a really good choice to model as they were used close to the front line.

mvmtmap1.gif

In the Osprey book on the 354th the pic is the same as the pic that Pavel came up with, and it doesnt mention Eaglestone - just the starboard view with the skull and crossbones - so not 100% but i think there is still a good chance that Eaglesstones bird had the marks on both sides. - Anyone with another pic ?

Ads

Edited by Ads