Mig-17 Trumpeter 1/32 WIP

Jamme

Hello to everyone.

After a smal discussion wihe Harvey and Harold on this Forum, I decided to start a WIP on Trumpeter Mig-17 in 1/32 scale.

Here is the box:

Mig-17WIP01-1.jpg

Inside of the box.

A little disapointing when you see their latest productions....

Mig-17WIP02-1.jpg

The fitting, yes......... :BANGHEAD2:

Very good idea to split the fuselage to show the reactor.........

BUT.....if I look at the pictures from the real Jet, the split is much too the back.

Mig-17WIP03-1.jpg

The fit and the control hatches are mostly wrong placed.....

Mig-17WIP04-1.jpg

Mig-17WIP06-1.jpg

Mig-17WIP08-1.jpg

Aero brackes are mittle detailed, so I will arrange that, by making new.

Mig-17WIP05-1.jpg

As I'm not a "rivet teller", I will remove most of them as you can not see them much on the real aircarft, and most of them are not at the good places.

So, I decided to fill them, trying to not fill the pannels lines (mostly correct ( at least I think so....)), with Tamiya white putty ( drying fast)

Mig-17WIP09.jpg

That's all for the moment.

Waiting for your critics and questions.

Thank You for looking.

Greets,

Jamme

Edited by Jamme

Hello to Everybody.

In this Christmas/End of the Year time, I had a littlt time to make an UP!

As there is not more to see on the fuselage work......( rescribing, getting rid of the rivets, etc...... :BANGHEAD2: ), I decided to do a little work on the Mig's engine.

Here is a pictures from the pieces that made the outlet of the reactor.

As I wouldn't show the engine (fuselage will be in one piece), I'm not going to detail this one.

Mig-17WIP10.jpg

As you can see,there are a lot of ribs (?) that shouldn't be there.(from the pictures that I have is more or less a "tube".

So i removed them with a dental bur in my Proxxon.

Put a little White putty and sanded it more or less smooth.

Mig-17WIP11.jpg

I painted the parts in Gunze H8 (silver). When dry, I made a little wash (oil paints Lamp Black and Burnt Sienna diluted with Zippo fluid). When dry (that goes fast with the Zippo fluid) I aibrushed Gunze H20 (Mat Clear). When dry I use different color pigments (Mig). It was then fixed with white spirit.

Here are the results:

Mig-17WIP13.jpg

Mig-17WIP14.jpg

Mig-17WIP15.jpg

I now will assemble the parts and have more work on the rest of the engine.

But that's for another day.

Your critics,comments or/and questions are always welcome.

Greets,

Jamme

Edited by Jamme

Hi Jamme,

Great that you're tackling Trumpeter's finest!

It was one of their first efforts by the way, so it shows they have inproved immensely over the years.

While you're working on the fuselage, don't forget to increase the chord of the rudder.

(I didn't, because I noticed it too late... <_< ) and add a ventral fin.

I'll follow with interest. :popcorn:

Cheers,

Peter

Hello Peter.

Thank you for looking (at least one person interested....)

Concerning the ventral fin, I had seen Trumpeter "forgot" it... :deadhorse:

What do you mean (as my English is very poor, and I don't understand.)by "increasing the cord of the rudder?

Is it too short, a bad angle or?

Really sorry for asking this to you.

By the way do you made a WIP or have pictures of your Mig somewhere?

Thank you for your anwer.

Cheers,

Jamme

Jamme, Because people don't post responses does not mean we are not interested. We are interested. What you're doing is nice. I know how difficult it is too paint a metallic over a sanded surface and not have the sanded surface show thru the metallic. You've done a really nice job to make the surface so smooth. And the weathering is nice. I like how you're weathering is textured, not all the same color. Don't be discouraged. We all care. Keep up the good work.

Sincerely,

Mark

hi Jamme,

The chord ("koorde" in Dutch) is the "depth" of the rudder in the fin.

So the opening has to bee deepened and some plastic card added to the front of the rudderpart itself

I have no WIP of the build available, but a thread is currently avalable in the "clear the bench!" group build

here on the forum:

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=28215

which reminds me....I'll have to finish it! :blink:

I have an Eduard photo etch set which will cater for the horrible wheel doors (ejector pin marks in abundance),

the exhaust pipe petals and some items for the cockpit. I started is before I was aware of Harolds' resin cockpit.

Cheers,

Peter

Jamme, Because people don't post responses does not mean we are not interested. We are interested. What you're doing is nice. I know how difficult it is too paint a metallic over a sanded surface and not have the sanded surface show thru the metallic. You've done a really nice job to make the surface so smooth. And the weathering is nice. I like how you're weathering is textured, not all the same color. Don't be discouraged. We all care. Keep up the good work.

Sincerely,

Mark

Hello Mark.

Thank you for your answer.

I know many people watch, but....8 answers (including mine and more than 280 visits......... :huh:

I don't want avery member to follow my WIP (there are also many "guests" coming along here)but I think (and I'll do it) as you visit a topic, and you are interested in, you leave a little word.

Now I don't care, I build it for my pleasure and I will build so long it si so.

Thank you for looking.

Cheers,

Jamme

hi Jamme,

The chord ("koorde" in Dutch) is the "depth" of the rudder in the fin.

So the opening has to bee deepened and some plastic card added to the front of the rudderpart itself

I have no WIP of the build available, but a thread is currently avalable in the "clear the bench!" group build

here on the forum:

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=28215

which reminds me....I'll have to finish it! :blink:

I have an Eduard photo etch set which will cater for the horrible wheel doors (ejector pin marks in abundance),

the exhaust pipe petals and some items for the cockpit. I started is before I was aware of Harolds' resin cockpit.

Cheers,

Peter

Hello Peter.

Thank You for your answer.

I understand better now.

I will look at this when I'm so far........(Not yet..... :rofl: )

I'd had a look at your build. It's true that you're at the end, but I understand you.... with such a kit......!

I ordered the pit from Harold. I'm waiting for it (think I will receive it in a week or so (It's already sended)

ONce again thank You.

Cheers,

Jamme

Hello to Everybody.

As I had a little time, it's time for an UP! (dont believe I'm a fast builder and that you will have UP's everyday, uh! I'm more on theslow side building, normally... :P )

I dry fited the engine support (comes in the front é parts of the fuselage.

Mig-17WIP16.jpg

As you can see, Trumpeter left enough place........

I placed strips of styrene (Evergreen) on the slice of the bulkhead, filed it on somme places to fit the fuselage:

Not prefect but a lot better...... ;)

Mig-17WIP17.jpg

These are the pieces for the engine, assembled and waiting to be painted:

Mig-17WIP18.jpg

I can't resist on the pleasure to show some pictures of the engine, not yet completely finished (needs a coat of mat clear, somme pigments and the final Drybrush. The wash is complete, with a little bit more of Burnt Sienna than Lamp Black.-

Here we go:

Mig-17WIP19.jpg

Mig-17WIP20.jpg

Mig-17WIP21.jpg

Mig-17WIP22.jpg

Mig-17WIP23.jpg

Mig-17WIP24.jpg

Mig-17WIP25.jpg

The engine was build OOB. I'm not going to put wires and so on, as when finished, not more will be seen...... :lol:

I hope you like it, enjoy!

Waiting for your critics, advice and /or your (eventually) questions.

Thank You for looking.

Greets,

Jamme

Edited by Jamme

Hello Everybody.

First let me wish you an Happy Newyear 2011.

So,I made the drybrush on the engine. It is now finished and ready to be put in the fuselage.

Mig-17WIP26.jpg

I come back to te rivets, that I wanted to ger rid of it.

The first try gave me a problem. As the Putty (Tamiya white putty) didn't hold in teh rivets very well. In fact it is softer

than the plastic.

I tried another system.

I first deepened the panels I want to hide.

I put a little Zap in every rivet (with a toothpick), put a little Zap Quicker on the Zap's drops.

When finished I sanded complete fuselage with 400 grade.

This is the result.

Mig-17WIP27.jpg

Mig-17WIP28.jpg

You can see that the panel lines are full of sanding dust.

If you didn't put enough Zap on a rivet, this one should also appear white, like the panels.

Al you have to do is put a little more zap, resand, etc.....

When finishe, you clean the pannel lines with an old toothbrush, and you got this:

Mig-17WIP29.jpg

I dry fitted the engine in alf fuselage:

Mig-17WIP30.jpg

Thank you for loking.

Greets,

Jamme