Conversion Hobbycraft Mustang Mk 1A to a Mustang 1

ironman1945

For those wanting to try this conversion, I believe Colin's last comments state it best when it comes to a starting point for this. I also have the A-36, and after inspection and a comparison with the plans I have, I believe the locations for the wing MGs in this version do indeed need to be changed to accomodate the 3rd wing MG that the Mk I has. (in case you were wondering, my choice of this kit for the MK I was simple; no other version was availible at the time).

Colin, good to hear from you. To answer your question, according to the Squadron Signal book P51 Mustang in Color (by Larry Davis), the Mustang I am modelling has a tail serial number AL986. As well, I am basing this model somewhat on the following photo... it doesnt have th camera installed, but the shape of the cutout in the rear window seems appropriate for what I have done. My greatest fear is that there is also a cutout on the stbd side to accomodate a camera facing in either direction... Ive seen some photos of recon Mustang Is with this feature.

In the end its a best guess on my part, but any info you could provide would be welcome.

Take care all!

Dave/Ironman1945

post-562-1270795929.jpg

Dave,

Volume two of 2TAF by Shores & Thomas includes a slightly less cropped version of that photograph along with the caption confirming AL986 as the serial and that photos was taken 28 October 1944. You have a 20 for - 80 against chance of there being a camera port in the rear quarter window on the starboard side, a lesser number of Mk.Is being modified to carry two cameras behind the cockpit, but what they would do is turn the single camera to point out the 'opposite' side to usual. I'd personally stick to just the side shown in the photo having the camera port.

Regards,

• 3 months later...

Its been awhile since my last post; I've been working away on this bird but have not had much time to take photos. Anyway here she is, Lazy Lady as flown by Flt Lieutenant James B. Prendergast, RCAF 430 Sqd, 39 Reconnaissance Wing, modelled as she was seen based out of Eindhoven, autumn of 1944.

post-562-1281262747.jpg

And one last shot.

This has been a labour of love for me; when I was 15 I tried to make an RAF Mustang MkI out of the old Revell P-51 B. It was my very first conversion involving a balsa chin, amongst other things. Very satisfying to get another crack at it.

The Hobbycraft kits are, I believe, good for the price. Certainly nothing to compare to the new Tamiya Spits, but it was fun putting some work into her and Im pretty happy with the results.

Whats next? Too many choices in the basement... I really should build something out of the box... but I do have a pile of vacs waiting in the wings as well.

Take care and have a great summer!

Dave/Ironman1945

post-562-1281264270.jpg