Zoukei Mura A-1H Skyraider

BloorwestSiR

Carl,

You're making steady progress for sure. And with each step you're giving me more confidence that when I start my ZM kit, it will go as smooth as silk. 

Just one side comment if you don't mind. But I do see a similarity between your workbench and Ernie's. Must be something to that layout which produces exceptional builds. Maybe I shouldn't be so anal about keeping mine clean and neat.  :hmmm:  :doh: 

Joel

Thanks K2! I'm still trying to decide on markings though.

If I were doing a Navy bird, I'd do the same one that's on the cover of one of my Squadron/Signal books, same as I had done years ago in 1:48 scale. I'd provide a link, but I don't see the particular book in our database.

Guest Peterpools

Hi Carl

Amazing progress; looking so good. I never thought of double checking ZM's web site for updates and I'm going to make a note of it, especially for the Owl

Keep 'em coming

Peter

• 2 months later...

Carl,

You're making steady progress for sure. And with each step you're giving me more confidence that when I start my ZM kit, it will go as smooth as silk.

Just one side comment if you don't mind. But I do see a similarity between your workbench and Ernie's. Must be something to that layout which produces exceptional builds. Maybe I shouldn't be so anal about keeping mine clean and neat. :hmmm: :doh:

Joel

Thanks Joel! My workbench is the most cluttered bit of the host that I'm completely responsible for. I won't even get into what our boys' room looks like.

I think it's more to do with I usually clean up and put my tools away at the end of a build. The only problem is when I start on multiple builds.

If I were doing a Navy bird, I'd do the same one that's on the cover of one of my Squadron/Signal books, same as I had done years ago in 1:48 scale. I'd provide a link, but I don't see the particular book in our database.

I ended up going with VA-52:

20170713_115546-M.jpg

I decided to do the CAG plane with the more colourful slash.

Hi Carl

Amazing progress; looking so good. I never thought of double checking ZM's web site for updates and I'm going to make a note of it, especially for the Owl

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Thanks Peter! I'm starting to run into some of those issues that have plagued your pair of ZM builds. It seems dinner parts have a fair bit of play in them even with their locating pins.

Since my last update, I've made a bunch of progress but didn't get a chance to document it. So there's a huge jump chronology.

I painted and then fitted the open flaps to the engine. This was then installed it in place on the fuselage.

20170720_140322-M.jpg

The cowl was then installed. I was able to get a decent guy from the removable panels so I've left them loose. I then started applying the decals starting with the kit ones.

20170726_223838-M.jpg

Next I added the VA-52 ones to the plane. After they were dry, I then sprayed a clear coat to seal them in. Once the clear coat was dry, I masked off and painted the walkways and anti glare panels. Upon removing the tape, this is what I had:

20170729_154824-M.jpg

20170729_154815-M.jpg

A big portion of the stripes had lifted. I can see where it just didn't have the adhesion to the paint underneath. There weren't any issues with the kit ones. Go figure.

So I've removed the remnants of the stripes and ordered a set of Zotz' decals for replacements. Zotz make the same markings and I've had good luck with those.

20170730_140445-M.jpg

Oh and the bombs and rockets are on.

Like I said, I skipped a few steps...

Carl

Edited by BloorwestSiR

Guest Peterpools

Carl

Beautiful work on the Big Radial and yikes, ZM decal problems. Good move going with Zotz offering as they are fantastic,

Yup, I have both of the ZM kits sitting right next to my bench as a everyday reminder both need to be finish after the the A6

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Edited by Peterpools

Carl,

Nice choice with the Knightriders. Should really be an eye catcher when it's done and in the books. 

Joel

Thanks Joel! I just didn't want to do another Bumble Bee A-1H. It looks great and the fact that it shot down a Mig is impressive but I just wanted something a bit different.

There was a bit of masking tape over the decals which caused them to lift. Oddly, these were printed by Microscale and not ZM. The regular kit decals worked fine and in fact I tested those first for lifting and didn't have any issues so I thought I would be OK.

Carl

Beautiful work on the Big Radial and yikes, ZM decal problems. Good move going with Zotz offering as they are fantastic,

Yup, I have both of the ZM kits sitting right next to my bench as a everyday reminder both need to be finish after the the A6

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Thanks Peter! Like I said, the decals were printed by Microscale for ZM but they did the stock decals themselves which I didn't have an issue with. So hopefully that bodes well for the other ZM kits I have in the stash.

As for your kits, hopefully you'll get back to them and they won't be such a bear.