1/32 Trumpeter A-4E Scooter: 8/4/17 Crossed the finish line

Joel_W

Harv,

have no fear, I've done enough on the cockpit for the 1st update. Pics will be shot tonight before I go to work, then post tomorrow after I get up. ( I work overnights so I'm 180 degrees opposite of a normal person).

Joel

Joel, I worked nights more yrs than I care to remember, so I totally understand........Harv

Really looking forward to this! Love the little A-4

Anthony,

Pete always talks about your incredible modeling skills, and after reading a few of your build threads, I certainly concur.

I've read through your  RNZAF A-4K "Kahu Upgrade" thread, and along with Eric's Scooter build, they're both a wealth of knowledge and modeling skills. I do refer back to both often, and will continue to do so throughout my build.  Any thoughts, advice, corrections needed, just jump right in. If I can fix it or modify it, I'll give a shot.

Joel

Edited by Joel_W

Jari,

Thank you so much for those 3 manuals. I downloaded all of them. I can't wait to read through them.

Joel

OK JA

lets get going and build something

Bro

Hey Bro,

No fair. I'm old and Slow, but the basics of the Pit is just about done, so I'll be posting my 1st Scooter update Tomorrow late afternoon.

Joel

Joel, I worked nights more yrs than I care to remember, so I totally understand........Harv

I'm semi retired and only work Mon-thurs so I have 3 day weekends. But I never changed my sleep habits, so I go to sleep for a few hours when I get home in the mornings, and make up for the lack of sleep on the weekends.  I still find time to model just about every day, which is a good thing.

Joel

The build actually started on 3/19, but since I build at a pace not much faster then Harv compared to many here on LSP, the amount of progress for that time frame is rather small.  As with everyone of my builds, I started with the cockpit.

I've replaced the kit IP with the pre-colored Eduard PE IP, which is comprised of several layered pieces that are glued to the kit's sanded down Clear IP. The finished IP looks a lot better then I could have done with hand painting, even though Eduard for some reason still insists on using that rough textured surface, and a blue black color rather then a Nato black shade.

Q5Fx60.jpg

the pilots legs are fairly close to the bottom of the IP, so cushions were added. When I glued the IP together I tried to simulate the cushions by offseting the top panel, I then painted it yellow as in the real aircraft.

Next up was the ejection seat. I I opted for the Quickboost seat which is an excellent replica of the Escapac ejection seat manufactured by Douglas Aircraft.

g21hDq.jpg

I painted the seat with a black primer coat, then using a custom mix of Tamiya paints to represent Dark Gull Gray FS 36231. XF24 Dark Gray 4 parts to XF20 Medium Gray 3 parts, then cut it with Tamiya yellow cap LC thinner 2 parts paint to 3 parts thinner. I applied quite a few very lite coats trying to always shoot at a angle. The final result is a nice modulation of colors from the surface to the shadows without having to use washes to achieve this look.  Even the rivets pop out now. I will be adding some local pin washes to further bring out the shadows and details of the cushions and belts, and to dirty up the seat some. I added several pieces of lead wire to simulate various electrical connections and tubes to the headrest, as well as the seat cushion.

gDCqGb.jpg

Ro3Afp.jpg

Next was the kit pit itself, which is also the top of the front landing gear housing.  I painted it exactly as I did the seat.  There is a realistic modulation of tonal values, and shadows all achieved without the need for any washes.

The side consoles are Eduard colord PE. Neither side really fits that well, so some adjustments were therefore necessary. The Starboard side came out pretty good, but then the Carpet Monster decided it was time to make an appearance, and he just ate the Port side console. I already had sanded down all the raised kit details, so I was stuck. Realizing that much of the interior would be difficult to be seen, I cut up a few scrap pieces of 1/48 IP and hobbled together a fair at best console. Good enough for the time being.

Gipw5n.jpg

The sides of the cockpit are padded iin real life, and are represented by separate parts that fit perfectly. They also were primed & painted as the rest of the cockpit.

iHNg1J.jpg

The overall folds, nooks & crannies really have nice tonal modulation to them, but I messed up on the quilting in a few spots, so a little bit of Tamiya Black panel line wash will be used to blend in those areas after a coat of Gloss has been applied.

iHNg1J.jpg

A quick test fit of the cockpit into one side of the fuselage is a nearly perfect fit. I'm quite pleased with the overall basic look.

84f2ac.jpg

tTRlU4.jpg

And finally the control column. While it's nicely shaped, the grip is suposed to have 3 firing buttons, and a forth further down on the grip. So I added them from punched out sheet. the red buttons still need to be added if I can see well enough to accomplish it without making a mess.

jV7G6n.jpg

xa9o2u.jpg

Joel

For someone as slow as I, Your doing great Joel. Like your pit painting, as it looks really good.....Harv :popcorn:

Harv,

Thanks so much for stopping by and checking out the 1st update. It did seem like forever from the intro to now, but at least I'm out of the gate.  Glad you like what I've done so far.

Joel

Guest Peterpools

JA

Nice progress on the Scooter front office. The ejection seat and side consoles look really good, even tough the carpet monster paid a short visit.

Keep 'e, cominmg

Bro

JA

Nice progress on the Scooter front office. The ejection seat and side consoles look really good, even tough the carpet monster paid a short visit.

Keep 'e, cominmg

Bro

Bro,

Thanks for checking out the Scooter.  I've given the Carpet Monster cab money to so  he can head on over to your place.

Joel

Great progress on the front office Joel. I really like the variations of the grey color. It's tough to make a monochromatic cockpit look "interesting", but yours is perfect. The seat looks phenomenal as well. I agree about the painting on pre-painted panels (say that 5 times fast), but it's hard to beat their detailing. I'm looking forward to the next update.

Tony,

Thanks so much for stopping by, it's much appreciated.

I really like the black primer for tight or enclosed areas where I want a lot of shadow and color tone variation, as you can see most of it was done just by painting not by washes, which I'll use to take it to the next level. 

the ejection seat from Quickboost is really nice, and made my life all that much easier.

Joel