Hasegawa Ki-61 Hien

jeroenpeters

After some frustration with my Trump Wildcat + BigEd I decided to focus on a new project

for which I hamstered all the extra's I could find:

- LifeLike Decals

- Wolfpack flaps

- Wolfpack gunbays

- Eduard interior

- Eduard Exterior

- Quickboost exhausts

- Eduard masks

- And a Voyager Ju-87 pitot tube (which is close enough for use on the Hien)

I love this plane and can't wait till the weathering starts, but that's still miles away...

post-6688-1245424681.jpg

First progress on the cockpit.

post-6688-1245424984.jpg

Still needs some wiring and will then be painted.

I'll have to wait with the colored adhesive (I'd rather glue this on myself..) photoetch,

untill the painting is done.

post-6688-1245425020.jpg

Can't wait though....

Nice choice Jeroen, just incase you're not aware of them there are also these extras: http://www.shopcreator.com/mall/department...adu%2520Brinzan

I know of the MDC parts and was tempted to buy to control surfaces. However, I think these might break up the clean lines.

The cockpit set looks great, but I prefer working with PE.

Thanks for the tip though!

This looks like it'll be a nice build Jeroen. I'll be watching come decal time, as I've had my eye on a set of those, but not having had any experience with LifeLike decals before, I've held off. Not much else available for 1/32 Hiens though!

Kev

Looking forward to your build. I have this kit on my short list and am curious as to how all that after market stuff will look. Any idea on the paint scheme???

Matt

Haven't really decided yet... Probably Kobayashi's plane in green. The kill score on the side is impressive. Especially when you realise these were mostly B-29's.

Also the weathering will be more rewarding with the chipping of the green paint.

At the moment painting of the cockpit is 90% finished. Apart from the usuall book and internet reference I find a good help is the simulation game: Il-2.

The cockpits are dynamic and give a good sense of what is what and where what is. You can look around and all the buttons and levers work like in the real thing.

Here are some shots:

post-6688-1245591360.jpg

post-6688-1245591379.jpg

One step further and almost ready for the cockpit sandwich.

Just sprayed a little bit of acrylic gloss all over the cockpit. Only thing left is to drop

small drops of gloss in the instrument bezels and the gunsight lense.

post-6688-1245597760.jpg

post-6688-1245597781.jpg

Offcourse I'll display this model in the open position, but Hasegawa conveniently offered a closed canopy as well.

Perfect for protecting the cockpit (and beautiful Eduard frame behind the headrest) during sanding and constructing the rest of the model.

For some reasons I'm experiencing some fit problems with the radiator under the fuselage. As if the cockpit floor is too low.

Checked the instructions and can't find out why.. Ah well, after some scraping and sanding I seem to be getting it close to fitting.

post-6688-1245700790.jpg

Nice start, look's great where did you get those wolfpack flaps,gunbay's? cant' wait to see more :unsure:

Thanks. I got them from Luckymodel. Inexpensive. Nicely cast. Great detail.

They beat folding eduard flaps!

Well... I thought after reading all the good reviews on this kit, it would be a breeze...

I got the radiator to fit snuggly and inserted the Wolfpack plugs that go in the wingroot that

will be visible when the flaps are dropped.

Then I openend the gunbay hatches. Top and bottom wing. Another thing I can't figure out,

is why I needed to open the hatch on the underside of the wing, since this shows the bottom

resin of the Wolfpack gunbay! Digging through reference material to see what needs to be there.

Also cut out the flap and (I don't want to be a nag, and I can fix it) but the Wolfpack flap is just too short!

Why? All of these are easy fixes, but it's just annoying to keep running into these problems. :angry:

Here are some pix.

Gunbay. Nice fit. No problems here:

post-6688-1245872692.jpg

And the flaps. Need a bit of evergreen on the side:

post-6688-1245872851.jpg