1/24 Airfix F-6D circ. 1946

xmh53wrench

Guest Peterpools

Lou

You sure won the Prop battle .. The Hamilton Standard four blade prop looks great.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

LOU! :-)

I can surely speak to this. I usually do speak to things. I've yet to get an answer from anything but I speak to them anyway. I would add, the fridge is unusually snobbish to the point of being almost...cold.

Now, to your question. Of all the things you could have asked, you had to ask me this. Jeeze man, take it easy, I'm getting old.

Anyway...I'm not familiar with the publication you're quoting but should be. To the best of my knowledge, interior spaces would have been GZC beginning with D-20 production. This does not include the flight compartment. There is a separate spec which covers this aspect. The corrosion is caused by humidity/water/air(O2). Closed compartments or spaces change temperature. As a result, condensates form on surfaces and remain trapped do to lack of ventilation...oxidation...blah, blah, blah.

In general, YZC is used on surfaces directly exposed to the environment; such as the main spar, or the firewall and engine bearers. Why YZC is more environmentally robust I don't know. Hence, wheel bay structures would be YZC, there may have been times when GZC was used for varying reasons and I have seen references made to

"interior green" used as an acceptable substitute. I don't believe the doors would have been painted; at least not at the factory. On the front cover of the book,

"Production Line to Front Line" there is an excellent period photo of the ten thousanth Mustang and the gear doors are NMF.

Evidence of asymmetrical wheel well finishes is also reported by Craig Quattelbaum, 51 SIG ADMIN. and employee at the Fighter Factory. He reports that they have found Mustangs with one well painted and one not. Suffice it to say, color specs are a real can of worms.

In short, I would leave the inside of the gear doors NMF...The well surfaces YZC along with the firewall. In the wells, individual components, could be YZC,GZC,or NMF. All tubing is aluminum except for some sections of the fuel lines.

HTH

Best...Geoff

Edited by Ironwing

Paul and Peter thanks for the extra info and compliments.  I am chipping away at this, and should have an update very soon.

Geoff, thanks for taking the time for such a thorough explanation, and backing up what Paul had to contribute.

Its a real shame that the 51SIG is so inaccessable.  I have tried every avenue you and others have offered to join it, but to no avail.

Hence, why you and others like yourself who are so willing to share are so valuable here.  I had not considered the condensation problems that these aircraft wouldve encountered, I bet it was tremendous.

Your answer was very very to the point and made a ton of sense.  Thank you very much.  This will add a real touch to this build.

.....btw, if things start answering back, either time to make that appointment with that special jacket, or.....say hello for me :frantic:

• 5 months later...

Well its been a while since a serious sit down at the model desk, but I couldnt ignore its cry for company any longer.

So I dug this girl out and figured I would do a few things to it, while watching some TV and settling in for the 3 day weekend.

Per the above discussion I went ahead and applied YZC to the fuselage interior and firewall.  I figure all the engine cowlings though were probably left NMF, since they were a bit easier to remove, wash and reinstall, not to mention the heat they were subjected to might keep the condensation at bay.

I also did more card work, fabbing up some bulkheads and details aft of the cockpit and tail landing gear wheel well area.

IMAG2315_zps416053e1.jpg

I also went ahead, in my usual fashion, attached the wing uppers to the fuselage sides, for a nice bond at the fairing.

I had been contemplating doing something to the rudder, since Airfix's rudder is completely smooth.  So I tried a little something, and here is what it looks like so far.  The checkerboard paint is going to cover the top half, and the bottom half I will coat with some clear to blend things in a bit.

IMAG2318_zps1592513d.jpg

Hoping to maybe get the fuselage buttoned up over the balance of the weekend....we shall see if I have that much free time at the desk.  Thanks for looking in....

Thanks Kev, and Sparzanza, throughout most of my builds I try real hard to include snippets of the references that I use, to give a bit of backbone to my builds.....then again, I on occasion, go way off the rails (but usually freely admit that too ie: my HiViz Mustang)

I am in the process of reshaping the upper engine cowling.  I really hate that horrible shape that Airfix gave us, so we will see how that goes.  It will by no means be perfect, but hopefully will be an improvement.

I am using Ironwing's amazing 1/18 Mustang as a shape reference.  Just eyeballing it mostly....

Link to his build

And here is his completed cowling, a real thing of beauty.

IMG_0265.jpg

Edited by xmh53wrench

• 11 months later...

Thanks Kev, and Sparzanza, throughout most of my builds I try real hard to include snippets of the references that I use, to give a bit of backbone to my builds.....then again, I on occasion, go way off the rails (but usually freely admit that too ie: my HiViz Mustang)

I am in the process of reshaping the upper engine cowling.  I really hate that horrible shape that Airfix gave us, so we will see how that goes.  It will by no means be perfect, but hopefully will be an improvement.

I am using Ironwing's amazing 1/18 Mustang as a shape reference.  Just eyeballing it mostly....

Link to his build

And here is his completed cowling, a real thing of beauty.

IMG_0265.jpg

Lou,

You flatter me to the core, but more importantly, Its good to see you back on Mustangs. Give us more Bud...Best

Geoff