Wash method for shallow "panel lines" (Grille on Su-27)

53626887654_e419258488_b.jpgPart D-13 on the 1/32 Trumpeter Flanker B  - a flat section underneath the jet intakes - has shallow grooves that look to me like they are actually slots on the full size aircraft. I was generally not wishing to emphasise panel lines because I do not think you really see them om a large aircraft, and the indentations on the plastic are enough by themselves.  However, this part looks like it actually has slits, so I would like to create dark stripes in the grooves. Reading on panel line washes, I am cautious about re-dissolving the surrounding colour which will be Tamiya acrylic. I would think a good way would be to apply the colour ("blueish grey" in this case) and when dry apply a water-based wash such as from water based felt pens, and wipe it off the flat surface with a damp cloth and/or cotton bud.

I am assuming you can't use any solvent that will attack the surrounding colour but with acrylics that seems to only leave water. Am I missing something here?

Edited by npomeroy
trying to insert image

Acrylic paints are generally impervious to anything oil-based, and this includes enamels and oil paints themselves. In other words, if you've used Tamiya acrylics for your colour coats, you're good to go with either enamel or oil washes. If you're worried about the detail being too shallow to take the wash properly, just deepen it with a pin or scribing tool.

Kev

I have used Tamiya Panel Line wash (enamel) over Tamiya acrylics for years with no ill effects. 

I have also done the effect you are after on grills/grates using Tamiya Panel Line wash to great effect. The key was “building it up” so I would have to do 2-3 applications and let it dry between to build up enough pigment.

I suppose you could also just take some Tamiya Black or Nato Black, thin it down slightly and use it as a “wash” as well. 

Cheers!

On 4/8/2024 at 2:17 AM, Rampenfest said:

I have used Tamiya Panel Line wash (enamel) over Tamiya acrylics for years with no ill effects. 

I have also done the effect you are after on grills/grates using Tamiya Panel Line wash to great effect. The key was “building it up” so I would have to do 2-3 applications and let it dry between to build up enough pigment.

I suppose you could also just take some Tamiya Black or Nato Black, thin it down slightly and use it as a “wash” as well. 

Cheers!

Let me get this clear:

First paint the main colour in acrylic.

When dry apply thinned enamel over whole surface.

When dry, wipe enamel off main surface with enamel thinner ("mineral turpentine" here). Is that right?

9 minutes ago, npomeroy said:

Let me get this clear:

First paint the main colour in acrylic.

When dry apply thinned enamel over whole surface.

When dry, wipe enamel off main surface with enamel thinner ("mineral turpentine" here). Is that right?

Close!

In the past I have done:

1. Paint color 

2. Gloss coat

3. Enamel panel liner 

4. Let dry and wipe away with enamel thinner

5. Flat coat to seal it all in. 

All of the products I have used for this were all Tamiya besides the enamel thinner I use in step 4. I use Testors enamel thinner on a Q tip to wipe away excess panel liner, but everything else are Tamiya products. 

Hope this helps!

4 hours ago, Rampenfest said:

Close!

In the past I have done:

1. Paint color 

2. Gloss coat

3. Enamel panel liner 

4. Let dry and wipe away with enamel thinner

5. Flat coat to seal it all in. 

All of the products I have used for this were all Tamiya besides the enamel thinner I use in step 4. I use Testors enamel thinner on a Q tip to wipe away excess panel liner, but everything else are Tamiya products. 

Hope this helps!

Thanks for that. Why the gloss coat step 2? Is it to protect the base color from the enamel?

The gloss coat should be an acrylic and yes, to protect the other paint. Also, the gloss coat allows the panel liner to flow better and easier to clean up any panel liner that strays. 

13 hours ago, denders said:

The gloss coat should be an acrylic and yes, to protect the other paint. Also, the gloss coat allows the panel liner to flow better and easier to clean up any panel liner that strays

In the piece I am looking at I assume all the panel liner will stray. I'm thinking perhaps part of the issue is that matte paint will tend to more easily be penetrated by the other color, compared to gloss. Sorry to be so naive on all of this, and I know there are plenty of guides, but this allows me to get feedback on WHY it is best done in a certain way. I am naturally hesitant about building any more coats than necessary.53645193017_878f9c584e_b.jpg