AIMS PR XI Spitfire conversion for Revell ok to use with the Tamiya Mk IXc?

Greg W

I have a Tamiya Mk IXc Spitfire and would like to know if the AIMS PR XI Spitfire conversion set for the Revell Mk IX, works well with the Tamiya kit? 

The AIMS conversion looks like a very high quality set. I'm sure there is a lot that is usable but I am curious to see if anybody has test fitted the vac canopy and resin lower nose section in particular to the Tamiya Spit.

Greg

Hi,

I did not check that but the opposite (Alley Cat parts made for the Tamiya kit on the Revell) and can confirm there are nose and lower rear fuselage (tail wheel area) shape and cross section differences preventing a drop fit. Nothing is impossible but this will ask for some noticeable work. So I'm sure the problem is comparable for your scenario. 

2 hours ago, thierry laurent said:

Hi,

I did not check that but the opposite (Alley Cat parts made for the Tamiya kit on the Revell) and can confirm there are nose and lower rear fuselage (tail wheel area) shape and cross section differences preventing a drop fit. Nothing is impossible but this will ask for some noticeable work. So I'm sure the problem is comparable for your scenario. 

Ha! Maybe we should swap sets?

Thierry, how is the windscreen in your Alley Cat set? The ones I have are both incredibly thick and not that clear. I'm thinking the AIMs one would be better from that standpoint. 

Carl

2 hours ago, BloorwestSiR said:

Thierry, how is the windscreen in your Alley Cat set? The ones I have are both incredibly thick and not that clear. I'm thinking the AIMs one would be better from that standpoint. 

Carl

Same in my set. This was the main reason why I put my kit aside some years ago...

@Greg W,  I checked the stash and I still have the lower cowl from the Alley Cat PR XI conversion. Even though it's designed for the Tamiya kit the fit still requires some work. 

I won't be using it as I'm doing a PR XIX so if you want that, it's yours for the postage. 

You would still need the AIMs set for the rest but it may make it easier to use on the Tamiya kit. 

Carl

38 minutes ago, BloorwestSiR said:

@Greg W,  I checked the stash and I still have the lower cowl from the Alley Cat PR XI conversion. Even though it's designed for the Tamiya kit the fit still requires some work. 

I won't be using it as I'm doing a PR XIX so if you want that, it's yours for the postage. 

You would still need the AIMs set for the rest but it may make it easier to use on the Tamiya kit. 

Carl

Thank you so much Carl!

PM inbound...